DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So what's the most "optimal" video quality to shoot at ? 1080 or 4K

KONY

Reactions
Hello i have shot videos in 2,7 K (mainly) and a few 1080p and 4K videos since 2 weeks i've been playing with my MAVIC.

As of today i realized the following :

1) the image quality difference seems really not big between 2,7 k and 4K...It looks rather the same (24 fps);

2) between 2,7 K and 4K size of file seems to be on par = HUUUUUUUUGE;

3) Image quality in 1080p is noticeably inferior when viewed on my computer...But files are way smaller and most video editing programs (on windows and android) will edit and export like piece of cake;

4) On the other end working with 4K is really a pain in the *** as no Android video editing program (like KINEMASTER) will handle or export it.

5) and to finish this all, i read everywhere that anyway if you shoot 4K and you export your edited video in 1080p (for ease of viewing and getting smaller file size), your exported file's video quality will be inferior in quality than if you had shot in 1080p from the start with the MAVIC

6) is there any difference in quality in regards to shoot in PAL or NTSC ?

So as someone who is not super knowledgeable about all those video formats, i'm turning to the experts here.

Which video quality do you shoot/ and export your raw videos at ?

And is assertion made in 5) correct ?

As a sidenote the lower quality of 1080p video i mentionned in 3) is probably due to bad weather that day and lower luminosity...so not sure really is video quality of 1080p is so much inferior compared to 4K on the MAVIC....

If some of you guys could also share the video editing programme you use it would be the icing on the cake of this thread.

thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam
Hello i have shot videos in 2,7 K (mainly) and a few 1080p and 4K videos since 2 weeks i've been playing with my MAVIC.

As of today i realized the following :

1) the image quality difference seems really not big between 2,7 k and 4K...It looks rather the same (24 fps);

2) between 2,7 K and 4K size of file seems to be on par = HUUUUUUUUGE;

3) Image quality in 1080p is noticeably inferior when viewed on my computer...But files are way smaller and most video editing programs (on windows and android) will edit and export like piece of cake;

4) On the other end working with 4K is really a pain in the *** as no Android video editing program (like KINEMASTER) will handle or export it.

5) and to finish this all, i read everywhere that anyway if you shoot 4K and you export your edited video in 1080p (for ease of viewing and getting smaller file size), your exported file's video quality will be inferior in quality than if you had shot in 1080p from the start with the MAVIC

6) is there any difference in quality in regards to shoot in PAL or NTSC ?

So as someone who is not super knowledgeable about all those video formats, i'm turning to the experts here.

Which video quality do you shoot/ and export your raw videos at ?

And is assertion made in 5) correct ?

As a sidenote the lower quality of 1080p video i mentionned in 3) is probably due to bad weather that day and lower luminosity...so not sure really is video quality of 1080p is so much inferior compared to 4K on the MAVIC....

If some of you guys could also share the video editing programme you use it would be the icing on the cake of this thread.

thank you
I tend to record all footage in 4K (3840 x 2160 @ 25 fps) and post editing I convert a copy to 1080p. I am able watch the 4K on my computer and until I persuade my wife that we need a UHD TV, I watch the 1080p version on my TV.

PS. If anyone has any ideas on how I should convince my wife that she wants a 4K TV, please let me know!

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelM
are u ok with file exceeding the gigabytes for a couple of minutes long exported videos ?

this video from utube and comments seem to validate a better video with 2,7 K (30 fps) and really bad 1080p

What resolutions are 16:9? 2.7k gave me black side bars on my wide-screen laptop.

2704x1524 that you can downscale to 1080 later. The reason is that, for some odd reason, even though the Mavic supports storage medium with very high bandwidth, it still maxes the video recording bitrate to 60 Mbps, which is just too low for 4k. When your bitrate is capped like that, it makes more sense to record on a slightly lower resolution to get the maximum picture quality.

My recommendation is to try 2.7k and 1080 and see which one you like the most. 4k is just pointless on the Mavic.

this video from utube and comments seem to validate a better video with 2,7 K (30 fps) and really bad 1080p

This is not a good example of 1080p since it's recorded in 1080/60fps which is known to have issues on the Mavic.

Reactions: TahoeTurner
I've read:
1080p@60fps or more = pixel binning. The 1080p @ 60fp and 96fps seems to be catered for the DJI goggles.
4k@30fps = 65mbs. "True 4K they" say is 100mbs.
2.7@30fps = 60 mbs. I think this would be the sweet spot. Minimal compression and easier to edit with. You can also down scale to 1080p.

are u ok with file exceeding the gigabytes for a couple of minutes long exported videos ?
A 12GB 25 minute 4K Mavic video, rendered out of PP CC at 4K settings for 2160p on YouTube is between 2 and 6 GB, depending upon your output settings. A couple of minutes of rendered 4K video output at 4K is well under a single GB! :cool:

I tend to record all footage in 4K (3840 x 2160 @ 25 fps) and post editing I convert a copy to 1080p. I am able watch the 4K on my computer and until I persuade my wife that we need a UHD TV, I watch the 1080p version on my TV.

PS. If anyone has any ideas on how I should convince my wife that she wants a 4K TV, please let me know!
I've been told that diamonds work especially well! ;)

A 12GB 25 minute 4K Mavic video, rendered out of PP CC at 4K settings for 2160p on YouTube is between 2 and 6 GB, depending upon your output settings. A couple of minutes of rendered 4K video output at 4K is well under a single GB! :cool:

ok thanx, my 2,7 k raw files from the MAVIC are usually huge so i expected 4 k files to be even bigger

ok thanx, my 2,7 k raw files from the MAVIC are usually huge so i expected 4 k files to be even bigger
They are about the same size, as the compression of the 4K is greater, recorded at the same bitrate as 2.7K. However, the key is rendering them out of PP CC, which reduces the original file size by 75% or more, even at 2160p 4K.

Reactions: KONY
Is there any down side to shooting in NTSC 30 fps in a Pal country? Realise this can be a big deal with flickering lights at night but getting the extra 5 or 6 FPS seems worth it.

Reactions: Mahoosiv
Is there any down side to shooting in NTSC 30 fps in a Pal country? Realise this can be a big deal with flickering lights at night but getting the extra 5 or 6 FPS seems worth it.

I live in Hong Kong and I'm shooting 1080p/30... With all the digital TVs these days, there isn't any difference anymore for Pal vs NTSC, at least not for digital video...

Say you'll look after the kids for a week so she can sleep. Job done.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Easy, just do as I did. Prior to her favorite TV show you reset your channel tuning. When she turns on the television it says "No signal" and hell breaks loose. You do "everything" trying to fix it but unfortunately it is not possible, the TV is trash.

I now have a 70" 4K UHD HDR television on the wall and everyone is happy :).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest