DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So what's the most "optimal" video quality to shoot at ? 1080 or 4K

After reading this thread today I have changed from shooting in 1080p @96fps to 2.7k @25fps (no option for 30fps) and the difference has amazed me, much sharper and generally better footage, I'm far from pro on video editing so I'm just learning using AVS but just seeing the straight MP4 output footage its much better :)

After reading this thread today I have changed from shooting in 1080p @96fps to 2.7k @25fps (no option for 30fps) and the difference has amazed me, much sharper and generally better footage, I'm far from pro on video editing so I'm just learning using AVS but just seeing the straight MP4 output footage its much better :)

Apparently 30 frames per second is only an option when you select NTSC.

Reactions: Loz
So what is the highest frame rate with usable footage? 2.7k/30fps or 1080/48fps? I need to slow down some action shots, but want at least FHD resolution.

I am new here and have just watched the test video in the desert as I am looking for the best video settings. It seemed that when you were panning, both 1080 and 2.7 were very smooth but the 4K was just very slightly jerky. Why would this be?

I am new here and have just watched the test video in the desert as I am looking for the best video settings. It seemed that when you were panning, both 1080 and 2.7 were very smooth but the 4K was just very slightly jerky. Why would this be?
Only 24fps at 4K.

Reactions: Jenee
2704x1524 that you can downscale to 1080 later. The reason is that, for some odd reason, even though the Mavic supports storage medium with very high bandwidth, it still maxes the video recording bitrate to 60 Mbps, which is just too low for 4k. When your bitrate is capped like that, it makes more sense to record on a slightly lower resolution to get the maximum picture quality.

My recommendation is to try 2.7k and 1080 and see which one you like the most. 4k is just pointless on the Mavic.
Does this explain why my 4k video can be chopping/jerky?

2704x1524 that you can downscale to 1080 later. The reason is that, for some odd reason, even though the Mavic supports storage medium with very high bandwidth, it still maxes the video recording bitrate to 60 Mbps, which is just too low for 4k. When your bitrate is capped like that, it makes more sense to record on a slightly lower resolution to get the maximum picture quality.

My recommendation is to try 2.7k and 1080 and see which one you like the most. 4k is just pointless on the Mavic.
Mavic video recording bitrate of 60Mbs is identical to that of the P4 and the P3P which also record 4K at 24fps. The video can be a bit jerky, but if the shutterspeed is kept to 1/50 or 1/60, it can be made to look cinematic, despite the low video recording bit rate. Try the P4P if you want 100Mbs 4K at up to 60fps.

Based on what I've read on this forum and my own tests, I have settled on 3840x2160 NTSC 30 frames. I find the 4k (4096x2160) compression inadequate - tree tops shimmer, panning is choppy, and the colour is darker - both of which I and my family find unpleasant. I don't want the 20th century 24 frames/sec look anyway. 3840x2160 at 30 FPS gives me UHD quality (4x HD) that looks fantastic on my UHD TV, including panning. Using 30 FPS is important, which is why I use the NTSC option, even though I live in Australia, which is PAL (because the PAL option only does 24 FPS). Using NTSC with smart TV's less than 3 years old and computers is no problem in PAL countries. (Only my parent's old plasma had a problem.)

Here is the 4K Cinema resolution clip:
Here is the UHD resolution clip:
(My favourite)
Here is the HD resolution clip:

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bintryin
Optimal video settings are in the chart below, shooting 4k with 24 fps gives the optimal pixels per frame, highlighted in green.

Attachments

• mavic video settings.jpg
    mavic video settings.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 276
Reactions: Brewsky666
Optimal video settings are in the chart below, shooting 4k with 24 fps gives the optimal pixels per frame, highlighted in green.
Is the chart for the mavic?

Even then... The best would be the 2.7k at 24fps because it has half the pixels but more than half the bitrate

Is the chart for the mavic?

Even then... The best would be the 2.7k at 24fps because it has half the pixels but more than half the bitrate

It was for the Mavic, it was done by a member on the mavic group on facebook, I take no credit for it, written by Roman Hug

There have been quite some discussions about the best possible resolution/framerate to record video with the Mavic. So i did a test within the same conditions for all res/fps combinations, pointing the cam of the Mavic to a test picture and did not move the Mavic and did not chance anything except the res/fps settings.

There has been the rumor you should shoot in 2.7k because it uses the same 60.000 kBit/s for storage than 4k. Thats not true.

The most importand first: Do NOT shoot video in 1080p 60fps! Even with the high kBit/s. 1080p 60fps does use a algorithm to work together with the upcomming DJI googles and push the frames of the picture as fast as possible to the video transmitting system and to the screen in the googles. Therefore the algorithm for 1080p 60fps is optimized for pure speed and looks awfull if you want to use it for video recording.

4k will record with about 60.000 kBit/s, 2.7k with 45.000 kBit/s and 1080p with 40.000 kBit/s or lower.

The " kBit / frame " shows how many kBit data you have availible for every single frame to storage information about the picture in. Higher is better.

Update:
I did not include the slow motion fps like 1080p 96 because they are not for "normal" video usage and have a signifcant lower quality in bitrate. But i did test them. For example, the 1080p 96 fps does record with around 15.000 kBit/s because it streteches the video.

If you record 10s Video on the Mavic in 1080p 96fps it will use the 60.000 kBit/s and strech them x4 so you will have a 42s Video with 1080p 24spf and 15.000 kBit/s on your hard drive.

Maybe someone finds this usefull.

Last edited:
Thnx I am still struggling with what video settings are best for me. Now trying the 2.7k and will see if 30fps and NTSC will work for me in the Netherlands.

Brewsky

Also best conf I used. 2,7k at 30fps.
Don't forget for youtubers that YouTube only accept 30fps maximum. And will automatically downraise every video with upper fps.

Sent from my A0001 using MavicPilots mobile app

My bad - I've only ever seen a toggle for 1080@60
The 2160p 4k@60fps only shows up if you have a display that supports 2160 4K, like a 4K TV or 4K monitor. Even on the iPad Pro, 1080@60 is the highest toggle. 2160p 4K@24fps will allow 1440p display on an iPad Pro and Mini 4.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser