DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So what's the most "optimal" video quality to shoot at ? 1080 or 4K

Questions:
A) Can the Mavic shoot continuously 7 fps at RAW..?
B) Could you make a decent attempt at 24 fps RAW movie with Twixtor?
C) Could a future 'Magic-Lantern'- like 3rd party software hack get the Mavic to over-perform somewhere closer to 24 fps RAW 4K (or perhaps 2K) as it does famously on the Canon DSLR's ?
Any ideas people?

I tend to record all footage in 4K (3840 x 2160 @ 25 fps) and post editing I convert a copy to 1080p. I am able watch the 4K on my computer and until I persuade my wife that we need a UHD TV, I watch the 1080p version on my TV.

PS. If anyone has any ideas on how I should convince my wife that she wants a 4K TV, please let me know!

My 1080 TV just happened to "stop working" so I had to get a 70 inch UHD one to replace it. **** TV seems to "stop working" every time a new killer feature on TVs is released. Must be a coincidence.. ;)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
My 1080 TV just happened to "stop working" so I had to get a 70 inch UHD one to replace it. **** TV seems to "stop working" every time a new killer feature on TVs is released. Must be a coincidence.. ;)
Often, the much larger 4K TV will also fit in the same space as a much smaller 1080p TV, as the framing bezels have shrunk from 4-6" wide to almost nothing. We managed to fit a 4K LG 55" in the same frame as our old 46" Sony Bravia, when the Bravia developed out of focus ghosting in one corner. Life is Good (LG)! The LG comes with its own YouTube app that plays my 4K 60fps YouTube content seamlessly! :cool:

Reactions: Timbooo
I got an LG. The last one was good, this one is outstanding for picture quality. 4K off Netflix is great, youtube 4K is also great. 1080P now looks fuzzy to me.

I got an LG. The last one was good, this one is outstanding for picture quality. 4K off Netflix is great, youtube 4K is also great. 1080P now looks fuzzy to me.

That's odd my experience was completely different.
I setup an LG 65" OLED 6 Months ago for a friend and the picture on 4K Netflix was just marginally better than 2K Netflix.
We checked the bandwidth usage and Netflix was using very low BW for 4K. We tested YouTube and the professional 4K content was excellent and the BW usage was almost double that of Netflix. All in all none of the 4K via streaming had a serious wow factor to it. The only thing that wowed us was the 4K UHD BluRay movies and it was only some of them.
DirectTV 1080P looked the same on the OLed vs the Panasonic Plasma it replaced. My take away was that there is just not enough 4K content to justify a 4K TV right now.

Rob

That's odd my experience was completely different.
I setup an LG 65" OLED 6 Months ago for a friend and the picture on 4K Netflix was just marginally better than 2K Netflix.
We checked the bandwidth usage and Netflix was using very low BW for 4K. We tested YouTube and the professional 4K content was excellent and the BW usage was almost double that of Netflix. All in all none of the 4K via streaming had a serious wow factor to it. The only thing that wowed us was the 4K UHD BluRay movies and it was only some of them.
DirectTV 1080P looked the same on the OLed vs the Panasonic Plasma it replaced. My take away was that there is just not enough 4K content to justify a 4K TV right now.

Rob
Life of Pi on UHD with the LG OLED is Phenomenal . In fact whenever I pull the card from the mavic and plug it into the tv I am amazed. I have one video where the mavic was landing on a gravel patch at the range and you could see drops of dew on each piece of gravel, then you noticed a little reflection of the Mavic in each drop of dew; the effect was mind blowing.

That's odd my experience was completely different....My take away was that there is just not enough 4K content to justify a 4K TV right now.
Rob
The 4K isn't necessarily just for the 4K content. The high end screens and features are no longer available without 4K. The better ones also do a geat job of upscaling lower resolution content to fill the larger 4K screens. My 4K 55" LG was also 1/3 the price of the 46" 1080p Sony Bravia it replaced! Got to love the price drops that come with advancements in technology! :cool:

It was for the Mavic, it was done by a member on the mavic group on facebook, I take no credit for it, written by Roman Hug

There have been quite some discussions about the best possible resolution/framerate to record video with the Mavic. So i did a test within the same conditions for all res/fps combinations, pointing the cam of the Mavic to a test picture and did not move the Mavic and did not chance anything except the res/fps settings.

There has been the rumor you should shoot in 2.7k because it uses the same 60.000 kBit/s for storage than 4k. Thats not true.

The most importand first: Do NOT shoot video in 1080p 60fps! Even with the high kBit/s. 1080p 60fps does use a algorithm to work together with the upcomming DJI googles and push the frames of the picture as fast as possible to the video transmitting system and to the screen in the googles. Therefore the algorithm for 1080p 60fps is optimized for pure speed and looks awfull if you want to use it for video recording.

4k will record with about 60.000 kBit/s, 2.7k with 45.000 kBit/s and 1080p with 40.000 kBit/s or lower.

The " kBit / frame " shows how many kBit data you have availible for every single frame to storage information about the picture in. Higher is better.

Update:
I did not include the slow motion fps like 1080p 96 because they are not for "normal" video usage and have a signifcant lower quality in bitrate. But i did test them. For example, the 1080p 96 fps does record with around 15.000 kBit/s because it streteches the video.

If you record 10s Video on the Mavic in 1080p 96fps it will use the 60.000 kBit/s and strech them x4 so you will have a 42s Video with 1080p 24spf and 15.000 kBit/s on your hard drive.

Maybe someone finds this usefull.

Aren't you forgetting to take pixel density into account? If two videos have roughly the same bitrate but one has 2x or 4x the pixels, then the quality in each of those pixels is less than that of the lesser resolution video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000