DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Solar Charging?

Gringorio

Premium Pilot
Reactions
OK, I did ask about this last year for the P3P and it turned out to be unrealistic. But now that DJI has a 12 volt car charger and the Mavic uses a smaller battery I am wondering if any of you brainiacs can determine how many watts of solar panels will be needed to charge the Mavic battery (Intelligent Flight Battery (3,830mAh/11.4V)) in a similar amount of time as a wall charger?

Thanks for your help with this!

The car charger is 78 watts, running on around 12 volts. Means its drawing about 6-7amps. So you'd connect that to a small 12v sealed lead acid battery probably around 12amphours. And the size (wattage) of the solar panel kit you use depends on how often you want to charge the mavic battery. Something in the 40/80watt range? I don't think you'd want to go straight from the solar panel to the mavic charger incase clouds came overhead.

Thoughts? :) It's easier to just take a car with you. :)

The car charger is 78 watts, running on around 12 volts. Means its drawing about 6-7amps. So you'd connect that to a small 12v sealed lead acid battery probably around 12amphours. And the size (wattage) of the solar panel kit you use depends on how often you want to charge the mavic battery. Something in the 40/80watt range? I don't think you'd want to go straight from the solar panel to the mavic charger in case clouds came overhead.

Thoughts? :) It's easier to just take a car with you. :)

Thanks Jamie!

I was thinking specifically about a multi-day sea kayak or backpacking trip when there was no car charger option available. I'd guess about one to two batteries a day in varied cloud/full sun conditions. My current portable (fold-able) Powerfilm panel is only 14 watts in full sun, way behind the wattage you suggest. Maybe 14 watts would charge one battery in one day in best conditions?

I'll also look into newer solar panels since the one I have is a few years old.

Thanks for your help!

A folding panel that can output 12v+ similar to this might work.

Suaoki丨Relaxed Life For You

Thats only 60watts, and probably in reality is probably only ever going to give you 40-50watts.
But considering your needs, maybe the smaller folding panel charging a small 12v battery could still work for you.

Still, i'd use the solar panel to charge a small 12v battery. Which could weigh about 4kg. Something like this. Brand NEW 12V 12AH Sealed Lead-Acid Battery AGM 4 UPS Solar alarm scooter bike | eBay

So you could leave the solar and 12v battery in the sun, might take a few hours to charge up. Then when that battery is fully charged, plug your mavic charger into it, and charge the mavic battery in the 54mins they quote.

Probably be easier to just take a few spare charged mavic batteries now i think about it ;)

You could just carry one of these. 1.4 pounds and with energy loss you still could probably get 4 battery packs out of it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HEVEDTG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_KyyfybJQ55G2D

Might work. Might damage your charger as I doubt its a quality pure sine wave inverter and the inverter is only rated at 85watt. Which probably would run the 50watt charger ok. And the 24000mah is probably rated at 3.7volts. which means at 12v it'd be.. .. 7200ah? might charge the mavic once or twice?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143