DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Solar eclipse

EsiMavic

Reactions
Hey North Americans fly your mavic on August 21 and share your videos here :)

Are we supposed to point them at the sun or something? A solar eclipse isn't that impressive when looking at the ground.
Actually, they can be quite impressive when looking at the ground. The shadow moving across the ground seen from a high enough altitude is one of the best features of the eclipse. The Mavic would be ideal for this. See this thread.

Reactions: Robin
Actually, they can be quite impressive when looking at the ground. The shadow moving across the ground seen from a high enough altitude is one of the best features of the eclipse. The Mavic would be ideal for this. See this thread.
What time and location will this happen, so I'm ready. Knowing my luck, we'll probably have a thunderstorm that day.

I don't think the Mavic will be as ideal as you might hope. To see the shadow more than just a line on the ground would take an altitude we can't reach with a UAV. To see any curve at all you'd have to be very high up, likely many thousands of feet.

It also won't be able to tilt up far enough to see the eclipse directly in most, if not all areas. Plus it would be a wide shot even if you could.

I live in a mountainous area, but you can always drop the altitude restriction and go the full 500m up.

What time and location will this happen, so I'm ready. Knowing my luck, we'll probably have a thunderstorm that day.
This is one site where you can see the path of totality - Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Start Page
I will be in a state park in South Carolina. I reserved a cabin right on the center-line. I think if I fly the Mavic from one of the surrounding mountaintops, I will get high enough to see the shadow.

I don't think the Mavic will be as ideal as you might hope. To see the shadow more than just a line on the ground would take an altitude we can't reach with a UAV.
The goal is not to see the curve, but the movement of the leading/trailing edge of the shadow over the ground. It moves quite fast.
To see any curve at all you'd have to be very high up, likely many thousands of feet.
That's what they make mountaintops for.

I just got busted in a state park. According to SC laws flying in a state park is allowed ONLY with a permit, which is easily attainable. Just an FYI, might wanna get that ball rolling. I am in Greenville and I am looking forward to the solar eclipse as well.

Reactions: Will.i.am
I just got busted in a state park. According to SC laws flying in a state park is allowed ONLY with a permit, which is easily attainable. Just an FYI, might wanna get that ball rolling. I am in Greenville and I am looking forward to the solar eclipse as well.
I've searched but can't find how to get a drone permit for SC state parks. Can you send me a link? Thanks.

Would one do better to shoot the moving shadow in auto exposure? Or leave it manual and let it become really dark?

The goal is not to see the curve, but the movement of the leading/trailing edge of the shadow over the ground. It moves quite fast.

That's what they make mountaintops for.
Good luck with that, then! I'll still be surprised if you can get any meaningful video of it moving but I hope you prove me wrong!!

For everyone... just be sure to enjoy the experience and don't get so wrapped up in gadgets that you miss out on the full experience! I struggle with that myself but I'm trying to automate all photography as much as possible for the big day! Not much longer now!!

I've searched but can't find how to get a drone permit for SC state parks. Can you send me a link? Thanks.

Actually, you may not need a permit. Watch this:

When in doubt, pick up the phone and call the park office. Not everything is done via the internet.

Will the mavic hold its position during totality? With it being too dark for the downward camera sensors... will it not start to drift?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute