DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some gimbals need a little Roll correction after Autocalibration. Normal or manufacturing defect?

curso88

Reactions
Hello

In my Mavic, after IMU calibration and Gimbal Auto Calibration my gimbal need a correction to leveled horizon using the Adjust Gimbal Roll option and setting a value of -0.4

I have asked many users and many comment that the horizon has to manually calibrate with this option and manually adjust the Gimbal Roll, but other users do not have to make these corrections.

Is normal that my Mavic needed a slight adjustment with the Adjust Gimbal Roll option because when doing the Gimbal Auto Calibration option the position of the gimbal and the horizon is -0.4 degrees out of level? Is it a normal manufacturing margin or is it a manufacturing defect?

Thanks in advance

Roll position in 0.0
5449e0ca8999140bc9665eb4359eb09a.jpg

Roll position in -0.4 (Horizon corrected)
d37acc420e8dfd735195d141047b2577.jpg

I don't know if it's normal or not but mine needs +0.5. I'm not worrying about it since it stays pretty much the same.

I have bought sold and fixed hundreds of P3s and Mavs, and my take is that around 50% will need constant gimbal roll adjustments, as in every flight or during flight. Part of my preflight process is to do a gimbal autocalibration, and then take off and hover to see if the gimbal is behaving itself that day. If not, I keep the gimbal roll window open during the flight just in case it wont auto-level after a turn.

A common culprit is leaving the gimbal clamp on too many times during startup. This will eventually knock your gimbal motor sensors out of whack and then possibly lead to unlevel hoirzon. But also there is just a glitch in the mechanics and firmware that affects some birds, and youre lucky if you get a good one that levels itself on every flight. Its been a long standing problem since the early days of the Phantom series, and somehow still hasnt been cured with the Mav, or at least half the time from my experience.

Another culprit is a crash. A bent yaw arm will tilt your horizon permanently, and if you dont notice it, that would be the cause of your tilted videos.

Any settings under -.9 I consider normal, once you break the -1 +1 its time to look for damage, a loose rubber band, or other broken or worn part.

Reactions: dz8fhp
I have bought sold and fixed hundreds of P3s and Mavs, and my take is that around 50% will need constant gimbal roll adjustments, as in every flight or during flight. Part of my preflight process is to do a gimbal autocalibration, and then take off and hover to see if the gimbal is behaving itself that day. If not, I keep the gimbal roll window open during the flight just in case it wont auto-level after a turn.

A common culprit is leaving the gimbal clamp on too many times during startup. This will eventually knock your gimbal motor sensors out of whack and then possibly lead to unlevel hoirzon. But also there is just a glitch in the mechanics and firmware that affects some birds, and youre lucky if you get a good one that levels itself on every flight. Its been a long standing problem since the early days of the Phantom series, and somehow still hasnt been cured with the Mav, or at least half the time from my experience.

Another culprit is a crash. A bent yaw arm will tilt your horizon permanently, and if you dont notice it, that would be the cause of your tilted videos.

Any settings under -.9 I consider normal, once you break the -1 +1 its time to look for damage, a loose rubber band, or other broken or worn part.
thanks for your answer. In my case it came from the factory with a necessary correction of -0.4 degrees to measure a perfect horizon. Is this common or normal in the Mavics? This is my test, is normal my Mavic? Thanks in advance

Can you show us your horizon problem? Have you tried adjusting the horizon with the Adjust Gimbal Roll option?

you can see the right is leaning down a little, i haven't touched the gimbal adjustment - maybe i'll do the auto calibrate first and go from there?

ETA: what program did you use to overlay your flight HUD over the video?

DJI_0004Copy-vi.jpg

you can see the right is leaning down a little, i haven't touched the gimbal adjustment - maybe i'll do the auto calibrate first and go from there?

ETA: what program did you use to overlay your flight HUD over the video?

DJI_0004Copy-vi.jpg

You can correct the horizon from the App DJI GO in the gimbal menu, in Gimbal Autocalibration, If the horizon remains uneven, you can adjust it manually, in the option called "Adjust Gimbal Roll" If you need calibrate the horizon In mid-flight, you can use the rear button C2 + rhe right wheel of Remote Controller

I use AirShou from this link in my iPhone 7 Plus
AirShou

Last edited:
Reactions: armoredsaint
You can correct the horizon from the App DJI GO in the gimbal menu, in Gimbal Autocalibration, If the horizon remains uneven, you can adjust it manually, in the option called "Adjust Gimbal Roll" If you need calibrate the horizon In mid-flight, you can use the rear button C2 + rhe right wheel of Remote Controller

I use AirShou from this link in my iPhone 7 Plus
AirShou
Adjusting with C2+right wheel only works on ios correct?

I need to do as well a -7 or -8. Is there a way to adjust back to 0.0 after it correctly lined up?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121