DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Some photos from my maiden flight - can I get some advice please?

Ping^Spike

Reactions
Hey everyone,

I took my first ever flight this morning!

Some photos below, I was wondering if I could get some feedback and advice on the please - on how to "better" them.

First rookie mistake, I left the clear gimbal dome cover on, hence the white rainbow! D'oh!!

So, Pic 1 - This is me, and my co-pilot dog :)

Dji_0013.jpg

Pic 2, I think the greens are "too green"? Not sure how much of this is caused by the gimbal dome? (if any of it)
Dji_0015.jpg

Pic 3: We're approx 30m high, the greens still look TOO green? Any tips??
Dji_0021.jpg

Pic 4: Much the same
Dji_0022.jpg

Pic 5: Perhaps not too bad? Colours look quite correct I think. Although perhaps quite dark towards the bottom of the pic?
Dji_0023.jpg

Pic 6: OUCH!! Over-exposed? (is that the right term?) The green is crazy green and the whole photo appears to be white-washed almost?
Dji_0024.jpg

Pic 7: Perhaps not tooooo bad? Again, maybe too green?
Dji_0025.jpg

Pic 8: Bloody green again :)
Dji_0027.jpg

Pic 9: You can just about see me in the bottom of this pic. The sky is completely washed out? Greens still too green? If this was an old TV I would turn the Contrast setting down?
Dji_0028.jpg

Pic 10: :)
Dji_0033.jpg

As above, I'd welcome any feedback and suggestions! These were all taken on the very default settings, I've not tinkered yet.

I see a lot of filters for sale - not sure if they aid or just complicate the matter?

Thanks in advance for some valuable insight :)

Look as if you had your gimbal cover on in some of these pics

Hiding in the trees for your first flight? LOL

Interesting clearing to fly from....I'l be avoiding trees like the plague for my for my first flight ;-)

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Look as if you had your gimbal cover on in some of these pics

Yes mate, I mentioned that at the top of the post :)

Do you think that was the cause of the dodgy colours??

Hiding in the trees for your first flight? LOL

Interesting clearing to fly from....I'l be avoiding trees like the plague for my for my first flight ;-)

The clearing was big enough, well, I think it was :) Probably why I took it so easy and didn't dare leave Beginner Mode lol :)

Yes...take note of the yellowish arc on the left side of some pics. That's 100% cause by the gimbal cover. Also, I should have read your enitre post where you said you had the cover on.

If you didn’t remove the cover then I’m guessing you didn’t remove the gimbal clamp? It’s like a plastic housing that sits behind the camera, (worth remembering more than the cover).

If you didn’t remove the cover then I’m guessing you didn’t remove the gimbal clamp? It’s like a plastic housing that sits behind the camera, (worth remembering more than the cover).

Thankfully, I did!! I'm pleased to say :)

I mentioned in another post recently, there's nothing in the manuals or DJI tutorials about leaving the gimbal cover off. I read and saw lots about removing the clamp, but nobody mentioned not putting the dome cover back on once the clamp was removed!

My next flight will be without the dome cover on - I'll post back with some photos :)

Shoot in Lut or another style. Also, vary up your white balance. Taking great photos/videos has more to do with composition.

Shooting in Standard mode will over saturate the colours (some people like it that way). Try changing your setting to D-Cinelike for a more natural look or D-Log for a really flat look that you can colour grade later when you are editing.

If you didn’t remove the cover then I’m guessing you didn’t remove the gimbal clamp?
Thankfully, I did!! I'm pleased to say :)

You can often pick if a clamp is off in peoples post pics, because you can't take any downward angle photos if it is on :)

Just keep taking pics and muck about with settings.
The learning curve for Mavic pics is mostly trial and error, and reading posts / looking at others pics on such forums gives you tips too.

Not sure why your greens are oversaturated (you must be sure that the foliage isn't that green to say that), usually it's the other way around.
You can tone it down in most photo editing software, even the basic freeware stuff most computers have on them.

Also editing is good for a bit of horizon straightening and cropping, if needed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake