DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Someone explain how the focusing works??? Need technical explanation.

aaronrivera

Reactions
Please someone explain to me how is the focusing different from iphone or even a sony mirrorless camera like a a6500.
Why cant the drone just focus like a p4?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Please someone explain to me how is the focusing different from iphone or even a sony mirrorless camera like a a6500.
Why cant the drone just focus like a p4?
Thanks!

The camera technology is just different. It's a bit difficult for me to explain. Primarily because I'm tired right now.

Reactions: Forrest
Ok im also confuse wid aperture... if iphone is 1.8 and mavic is 2.8, how comes theres no bokeh just like in a6500??

Because the Mavic camera lens is not meant to be a portrait lens that would produce bokeh. If you notice, good bokeh is produced by lens usually from 50mm onwards with very good aperture blades. What lens are you using in your a6500? The mavic has a 28mm focal length, same as the iPhone 7. The iPhone 7 has a Portrait mode to create fake bokeh. You just can't produce shallow DOF on this type of lens as the focal length is not long enough even though the aperture is big. This lens is more for landscapes and have yet to see a landscape photo with bokeh :)

Ok im also confuse wid aperture

Is English your first language?

The number associated with aperture is usually written "f/2.2" and called your f-stop. This corresponds to a mathematical ratio, such as written 1/2.2 or 1:2.2. The "1" part is discarded and "f" written instead. So what is the ratio measuring?

In optics, the f-number (sometimes called focal ratio, f-ratio, f-stop, or relative aperture) of an optical system is the ratio of the lens's focal length to the diameter of the entrance pupil.

This means that if the aperture diameter itself grows, the f/number seems smaller*. Many people come to understand this. However, if the sensor is closer to the pupil, the f/ numbers ALSO seem smaller. You can't just assume the number indicates a large or small aperture... you also have to know the construction of the image focal area in the camera. So you can't compare iPhone to Mavic to DSLR aperture easily.

* f/2.2 may seem smaller than f/22 but it's actually a lot larger; remember this is the divisor so 1/2.2 is much bigger than 1/22 numerically and physically.

Now, if you compare apples to apples (not necessarily Apples), then you can recognize the effects of changing your f-stop. The smaller the divisor in the ratio, the bigger the aperture, and the shallower the focus range is, and the more "bokeh" (ぼけ) blurry background you get. The smaller the aperture, the bigger the divisor in the ratio, and the deeper the focus range is, and the less you get anything out of focus. However, the amount of blur or focus is going to be relative to other parts of the camera construction, so you still can't compare iPhone to Mavic to DSLR aperture easily.

Reactions: Jengle
Ok im also confuse wid aperture... if iphone is 1.8 and mavic is 2.8, how comes theres no bokeh just like in a6500??

You are probably thinking of shallow depth-of-field instead of bokeh. The depth of field depends on two factors: the aperture and the image sensor. The bigger the sensor the shallower is the depth of field. a6500 has a much larger sensor, therefore you get different depth-of-field for "same" aperture when compared to Mavic Pro
Similar problems as with iPhone 7 camera (f.2.2). To get the effect of shallow depth of field (Portrait mode), Apple uses software to modify the image (does not work for video).

Depth-of-field: distance between the nearest and furthest point that is out-of-focus
Bokeh: the visual quality of the out-of focus image elements.

I understand now guys. I just dnt understand why dji would put focusing on our mavics. It was perfectly fine wid the p4. I dnt see the advantage of it, do u guys?

I understand now guys. I just dnt understand why dji would put focusing on our mavics. It was perfectly fine wid the p4. I dnt see the advantage of it, do u guys?

Phantom 4 has a 20 mm/f2.8 lens, Mavic Pro has a 28 mm/f2.2 lens. Both have same sensor size (1/2.3"). Phantom 4 has fixed focus which gives it a depth of field from 14.5 feet to infinity. Everything closer than 14.5 feet should not be sharp. If Mavic Pro had fixed focus its depth of field would be from 36 feet to infinity. Everything closer than 36 feet would be not sharp.

My explanation above is not from experience, but theoretical, using the DOF calculator: Online Depth of Field Calculator

I do not know why DJI choose to go with a different lens, but I like the fact that I can focus on something or somebody closer than 10 feet.

Note that Phantom 4 Pro has auto focus as well since it has a larger sensor.

Last edited:
Reactions: halley
If you notice, good bokeh is produced by lens usually from 50mm onwards with very good aperture blades. What lens are you using in your a6500? The mavic has a 28mm focal length, same as the iPhone 7. You just can't produce shallow DOF on this type of lens as the focal length is not long enough even though the aperture is big. This lens is more for landscapes and have yet to see a landscape photo with bokeh :)

Nope. Utterly wrong.
Sure you can produce bokeh with wide & ultra wide lenses.
Focal length, as you mention, is not the bottleneck.
The neck of the bottle comes from minimum focusing distance if I'm not mistaken.

See these photos of 24 mm lenses

Canon EF 24mm f/1.4 L II USM | Ulf Greger

canon-24mm1.4-L-mk-II-ulf-greger-160-gausdal-norway.jpg

canon-24mm1.4-L-mk-II-ulf-greger-170-gausdal-norway.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member