DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Someone Try to Shoot Down My Mavic?

First you can see it originate from the base of the mountain and close the distance towards my Mavic.

Secondly, the Mavic doesn't fly that fast to "fly past something very small" and have it going that speed.

You can clearly see it come from the base of the mountain and it closes the distance between the Mavic and mountain which, is at least 300-400 yards.

That's not really how it works in 2d images.

You don't know the "origin". You only know what was behind it when you first saw it. Do you really believe you can see a bullet sized object a mile away at its "origin"? Hint: no. You can't.

If you first saw it only 12' from the camera and saw it for 0.25 seconds, then the closing speed is just 48' per second... which is 33mph. Mavic speed.

You can see bugs from 12 feet away.

It's a physics thing

Reactions: Jase1125
First you can see it originate from the base of the mountain and close the distance towards my Mavic.

Secondly, the Mavic doesn't fly that fast to "fly past something very small" and have it going that speed.

You can clearly see it come from the base of the mountain and it closes the distance between the Mavic and mountain which, is at least 300-400 yards.
First - I think the perspective may make it look like it comes from the base of the mountain but it's difficult to really tell since the perspective may be misleading.

Second - It flies by pretty fast, I'll give you that. But again, it's based on the belief that it originated at the base of that mountain which as you say is maybe 400 yards away. If you look closely though, right before it takes off, you can see a little white dot at the base of that mountain. Like the 'projectile' is sitting there waiting to take off. I think it's misleading that it "appears" to originate at the base of the mountain but in actuality it may be only 20' or so away from your mavic.

I'll admit that it looks like it's traveling as fast as a bullet, based on the thought that it originated from the base of the mountain. But I have somethings to think about.

1. If someone is at the base of that mountain about 400 yards away, how could they see your Mavic? Even with a scope it would be challenging.
2. There is no perceived bullet drop. A bullet will arch and at 400 yards, caliber dependent, it may drop as much as 5' from the origination point. Possibly more or less, again dependent on the caliber.
3. A high powered rifle round travels at 2800~3200 fps. Take a .223 for example. At that speed there is no way that 30 frames per second or 60 frames per second will catch it.
4. If we assume that the object is actually only 20' away but because of the perspective it appears much further, then a bug flying at ~10mph, that equates to ~15 feet per second. That fly by is about a second..
5. My previous comment about flying rods was in reference to a very well studied subject where "bugs" were seen in video appearing as very fast moving streaks of light thought to be 4th dimensional. After exhaustive study they found that the cause was shutter speed, bug speed and lighting. Speed and perception were greatly exaggerated when looking at the video.

Thumbswayup

I remember seeing something very similar earlier this year. I found the video link for it, but the guy must have removed it for some reason (men in black?)... Here's another one that has similarities.

I'm sure there's a rational explanation, but it does get the wheels spinning...

It doesn't get more rational than an insect flying across a wide angle lens at high speed. I have footage of the same thing at the beach. But I didn't start stockpiling seeds.

I've been saying UFO all along...now pass me the joint dude.o_O

I feel like my IQ was assaulted just now by this video. That dude's blank stare into the camera is terrifying. The thing that amazes me most about these people who are smarter than everyone else that see these UFOs don't seem to get is...so intelligent life from outerspace. They figured out how to travel the cosmos. Clearly they are a very advanced intelligence. And you mean to tell me that even you, right now with the intelligence you have, think earth isn't the equivalent of a bad neighborhood you'd roll your windows up in? The reason I believe in intelligent life out there in space is because we HAVENT seen them. High five to those geniuses for avoiding this train wreck. .

This was early morning around Lake Texhoma, done with 3dr iris+ so only in the air for 6mins. I never seen the object till after the flight. First post by the way, had to share this. I apologize for the sloppy edit.

This was early morning around Lake Texhoma, done with 3dr iris+ so only in the air for 6mins. I never seen the object till after the flight. First post by the way, had to share this. I apologize for the sloppy edit.

Wow. So the same guy was shooting at you too....

[emoji6]

Nicely done. Well, that's a wrap! Chalk it up to Texas! [emoji106]

From where you saw the flash to where you saw the bullet looks to be a good 500 yards. 500 yards with a 165 GR bullet will drop 4 ft plus in an arc. That's a bug.

Reactions: emilford
From where you saw the flash to where you saw the bullet looks to be a good 500 yards. 500 yards with a 165 GR bullet will drop 4 ft plus in an arc. That's a bug.
If you read any of my posts, you would know that I always said it was not a bullet. Obviously, it's too big and too slow to be a bullet and I never claimed to see a muzzle flash.

As a hard core shooter and trainer I understand a little something about calibers, MOA/bullet drop, and general ballistics for the weapons I use and carry.

But I do know my Mavic (in my opinion) can't travel fast enough to make a small bug fly buy at those speeds.

I know it's not fast enough to have a bug close the distance of 500 yards to my Mavic that quickly.

How the hell could someone see a bug come from that distance? Is this a new 200 mph bug?

Right.

If you read any of my posts, you would know that I always said it was not a bullet. Obviously, it's too big and too slow to be a bullet and I never claimed to see a muzzle flash.

As a hard core shooter and trainer I understand a little something about calibers, MOA/bullet drop, and general ballistics for the weapons I use and carry.

But I do know my Mavic (in my opinion) can't travel fast enough to make a small bug fly buy at those speeds.

I know it's not fast enough to have a bug close the distance of 500 yards to my Mavic that quickly.

How the **** could someone see a bug come from that distance? Is this a new 200 mph bug?

Right.

Your perspective is off. Figure the bug was 20' away but I just looks like it travels 200' or more. Like trickery of the camera... it's an optical illusion.

Ok, pick a day around the same conditions also time and hover in the same place, If your Mavic gets blown to hell you will know it was a bullet.

Reactions: lookatbowen
If you read any of my posts,
Ahh, there's the problem, I didn't.
you would know that I always said it was not a bullet. Obviously, it's too big and too slow to be a bullet and I never claimed to see a muzzle flash.
Obviously.
As a hard core shooter and trainer I understand a little something about calibers,
I'm sure you do,
MOA/bullet drop, and general ballistics for the weapons I use and carry.
and all of that too.
But could it make the bug fly by at those speeds? Spelling Bee contestants around the country are breathlessly waiting to know... Hey! What else do you know?
Yeah, that would be one fast bug, wouldn't it? Ha!

You seem like a guy that knows stuff -- what can you tell us about Sea Cucumber reproductive biology?
How the **** could someone see a bug come from that distance? Is this a new 200 mph bug?

Right.
Left!

I still say it's Ball Lightning.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61