DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Someone Try to Shoot Down My Mavic?

Mine was shot down yesterday by an air rifle. Could possibly have been a pellet or BB.

Assuming you're kidding. If not, I'd guess you were close enough to them that they could have just as easily swatted it with the butt of the air rifle.

I set the angles approximately the same. I didn't have the opportunity to set the sun and distance.

I shot from about 75 yards. I recorded bullet going away from mavic just over its head and I set a GoPro near the target so the round was flying at the GoPro.

No point in editing and posting the footage. Not one single round was visable, not the .22lr or the shotgun slug. I assume those are the slowest of the projectiles.
Hey man, THANKS for doing an actual experiment. Only one person in a thousand would do this. You are a true scientist.

Assuming you're kidding. If not, I'd guess you were close enough to them that they could have just as easily swatted it with the butt of the air rifle.

Completely serious. They took out the blades which destabilized my Mavic and it went into a death spiral.

When I saw the title of your post I thought you wanted someone to try and shoot down your Mavic.

Bud

Mavic camera caught this. The "projectile" is too small and fast to be a bird and too big and slow to be a bullet.

No muzzle flash and no sound of gunfire. It comes from about 200-300 yards out at base of mountain and is moving pretty fast.

From that distance you could not see my Mavic coming unless somone had glass. Almost looks like a tracer but just too slow and big for a bullet.

The "projectile" is moving fast and has a very straight trajectory.

Very odd.

I do not have time to read all that you have written, but I find it mortifying and sad that someone is so confused to suggest that it may be the flare of a lens and even propose demonstration videos to show them!
It is more than obvious that it is a bullet fired from the hill ...

Mavic camera caught this. The "projectile" is too small and fast to be a bird and too big and slow to be a bullet.

No muzzle flash and no sound of gunfire. It comes from about 200-300 yards out at base of mountain and is moving pretty fast.

From that distance you could not see my Mavic coming unless somone had glass. Almost looks like a tracer but just too slow and big for a bullet.

The "projectile" is moving fast and has a very straight trajectory.

Very odd.

I slowed your vid down and the last 3 frames appear to show 2 round "golf ball" like projectiles with tracers. You can see by my pic a clear space in between the two, which gets larger on the next frame.

Hope that helps... I think we all want to know if you have flown to ground zero and recon'd? Please post vid if you do! To bad I don't live close. I have a very large collection of drones and would love to have a little fun with the "golfer".
1or2projectiles..JPG

Some of my friends, and I, see the same white projectile in many of our videos also, so how can it possibly be a bullet if many drone flyers are experiencing the same thing?

It is definitely not a bullet.

Bud

I do not have time to read all that you have written, but I find it mortifying and sad that someone is so confused to suggest that it may be the flare of a lens and even propose demonstration videos to show them!
It is more than obvious that it is a bullet fired from the hill ...

Bugs. They are bugs. What in the world guys. I have plenty of footage of the same thing. Surely most of us do. I'm not going to fart around posting it because this is nonsense.

Reactions: Matchlock and maikm
Mine was shot down yesterday by an air rifle. Could possibly have been a pellet or BB.

I was flying my Mavic around my neighborhood for more than an hour. Keeping it pretty high except during takeoff and landing.

Watched the footage a day later and saw my neighbor in his back yard drinking and trying to shoot my Mavic down the whole time.

Luckily he didn't hit it of course. I was mostly running around in sport mode so he didn't have much of a real chance of hitting it.

Now that I know he's retarded, I'll won't be flying very close to his house.

3bb8908e4b0be45f1c3464e82a496cc0.jpg
a240c738871952e82d0b7fe83639eeae.jpg

That's brandishing a firearm in some jurisdictions.

I have 3 neighbors that are police officers. One literally next door to this guy. Wished they had peeked out there back window when the idiot was shooting up in the air.

I'm sure it was just a pellet gun as I never heard any gunfire.

Reactions: bleedgr33n
I'm a cop and I can tell you, had I seen that on my patrol this dude would have been cuffed and stuffed.

I was using my iPhone when flying my Mavic that day. Didn't even have a clue at the time the neighbor was shooting at it while cruising around the border of the neighborhood. He lives right behind me so I have to get kinda close to takeoff and land from my own property.

I thought about what to do after seeing the footage a day or two later. Thought about calling the police but ultimately decided I didn't want the trouble. My state has a law going into effect in July that makes photographing anyone's backyard illegal. Even if by accident. So pretty much flying my Mavic in my neighborhood will be illegal when I come back from my next deployment.

The guy just moved into the neighborhood and I'm not sure he knows where I live and don't want any trouble.

I'm deployed over seas for about half of the year. I don't want the guy doing something stupid to wife or family while I'm gone so I figured I wouldn't provoke the situation.

I'll just keep an eye on him now that I know he's an idiot and keep my quads clear of him.
Haven't flown much since this happened last week.

If I have to register my quad with the FAA and my quad gets treated like an actual aircraft. It would be nice if we had some backing to prevent this kind of situation.

I feel like the news and hysteria of all drones are out to spy you and reports of people shooting down drones has made this type of behavior acceptable.

As an example, when I mention I like to fly my quad around to coworkers, I get the typical "I'd shoot that damned there thing down if it was flying over my property herrrrrrrp derrrrrrp"

I could give a crap what anyone is doing in their backyard but I understand people's right to privacy and their concern. To them it's this evil thing they hear about in the news that's out to get them.

I just wish I could fly without any hassle if I'm genuinely not trying to cause any trouble. I'll be glad when the drone panic dies down and drones are more accepted if that ever happens. If it's like cameras, RFIDs and other similar inventions, it will die down eventually.

This was a very insightful read about "The Privacy Panic Cycle" and I thought it you guys might like it.

http://www2.itif.org/2015-privacy-panic.pdf

Edit: words

Last edited:
Reactions: Blades
It matters not, that it was a pellet gun. Under the law, when you hold something out to be something, then that something becomes what you hold it out to be. Since he was using a pellet rifle to shoot at your drone, then under the law it becomes a firearm, even though it is not generally considered to be a firearm.

For example, if you were to approach someone and open your coat and show them a kilogram of icing sugar in a plastic bag and say to them, "hey, want to buy this for $500." You could be charged for trafficking in a controlled substance and potentially receive the same sentence that you would get if you were attempting to sell heroin or cocaine.

Bud

I have 3 neighbors that are police officers. One literally next door to this guy. Wished they had peeked out there back window when the idiot was shooting up in the air.

I'm sure it was just a pellet gun as I never heard any gunfire.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000