DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Southern California - 909/626/714

I live in Torrance.. looking to fly my mavic. I usually fly it around my parent's place in Lake Elsinore... but since my Jeep is ready for some trails I'm thinking of bring it out and record some trail runs :D

Reactions: ebf
You guys should come over to Anaheim hills sometime. Look up ave de Santiago. Go East to the end of the street and park in the cul-de-sac. Hike South 500ft on a foot path to an overlook of a huge valley. Great flight spot. You get an occasional hiker or mountain biker, but generally it's very peaceful. Bring a folding chair and you're set.

Fly often, be safe.

went out here last week, everything is all brown now instead of green like in the video. unfortunate how everything dries out so quick.

I just got my Mavic and I'm looking to fly in other spots in SoCal. I currently fly in San Clemente area.

You guys should come over to Anaheim hills sometime. Look up ave de Santiago. Go East to the end of the street and park in the cul-de-sac. Hike South 500ft on a foot path to an overlook of a huge valley. Great flight spot. You get an occasional hiker or mountain biker, but generally it's very peaceful. Bring a folding chair and you're set.

Fly often, be safe.
Thanks for sharing that.

My in-laws live less than a mile from that spot. I usually just take off from their backyard and explore the area. Great views to the north towards Yorba Linda, and if you go high enough, then you can view the 241 and the mountains on the other side.

I also have a friend who lives Anaheim Hills. He has a Mavic Pro and shot some really cool footage in that area. There was a coyote walking in one aerial shot.

Hey Doc, have you flown there before? Any hassles?
The airspace lines cut the park in half diagonally. I will likely head there this weekend to see what the "lay of the air" is. I would love to fly there since it's close and can't really fly where I live given adjacent military facilities. If I get there, I'll let the assembled here know the result.

I am New to site, and am awaiting Mavic. Also looking for some good spots to start out. Unable to fly in my city due to 2 airports both within 5 miles :-( also heard there is a field in Pasadena near Rose Bowl where Other pilots meet and fly.

All of you SoCal guys should try documenting your flight locations with notes so you can share with other SoCal pilots. Here's an example below. You'll need a Google account to see this file.

Google Maps

Last edited:
Reactions: rito
All of you SoCal guys should try documenting your flight locations with notes so you can share with other SoCal pilots. Here's an example below. You'll need a Google account to see this file.

Google Maps

Great John! I use many of the same locations in and around irvine. Ridge valley and Irvine blvd is my new favorite firmware test site.

Reactions: ebf
It says I need permission to view this map. I'm logged on to my Google account on Google Maps.
I guess I'm wrong, you'll need to ask for permission. I thought anyone could see it. Do you get a link to ask for permission?

Yup.

You need to make the share setting PUBLIC. Then it will end up like this map (that I created 10 years ago and probably not as relevant today):
Google Maps
Hmm, I've looked everywhere how to make this map public. I'll google this again tonight and try to figure it out.

Do we have a group or any organization at Los Angeles so that we could meet and fly?

Do we have a group or any organization at Los Angeles so that we could meet and fly?

It's best to fly with one pilot buddy at a time IMO. Too many radios together too close together affects range and video reliability.

Reactions: SirKal
I make a point to fly stealth, such as flying from inside the car, or away from crowds on the beach if I can find a spot. I rarely fly around people, they always want to ask me a hundred questions, unless my wife is there to field the questions.

Huntington Beach isn't a problem, but Laguna Beach has a new ordinance. You'll get hassled by LEOs now if you are noticed and someone complains. STEALTH, HIDE, AVOID people.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929