DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Speed in GPS mode seems slow

If it performs like the P4, you'll find that 32-33 mph is the best speed for optimal battery life and maximum flight distance in P mode, even though it will easily reach 36+ mph in P mode with full throttle. If you use full throttle in P mode, unlike a P3P, flight time will be drastically reduced. On the P3P, full throttle in P mode gets you max flight time and distance. Sport mode is the worst on battery life and flight time on the P4, and likely the Mavic, too. Mine is still waiting to be manufactured in China! :(

It's not, Dji state max efficiency is at 25kmh/16mph

This, possibly coincidentally, is also the most efficient speed my tbs discovery pro flies at and that weighs in at 1.8kg

Depends upon what you mean by maximum efficiency. Are we talking longest flight time on a single battery, or most distance covered in a single flight? They aren't necessarily the same. Longest battery life is achieved with OA turned on, but severely limits distance because of the top OA speed of 20pmh on the Mavic (30mph on the P4P). Longest distance is achieved with OA turned off at roughly 31mph with no wind. You need to dial back the max speed with OA turned off to 31mph for longest total flight distance, instead of full throttle at 34mph. The long distance flyers have carefully worked out the most efficient speed on each aircraft to maximize distance, which is generally not the longest total flight time.

Interesting, are you saying that for long distance, 31mph (44Km/h) is the most efficient speed ? (no wind) I always go full throttle, I'll see if I can test it next weekend !

Has anyone run tests to see what speed on 0 Wind conditions yields the maximum range/distance with the battery?

It's not, Dji state max efficiency is at 25kmh/16mph

This, possibly coincidentally, is also the most efficient speed my tbs discovery pro flies at and that weighs in at 1.8kg
That's helpful information. Can you please supply a link to DJI stating that, so I can see exactly what they mean by that statement? Max efficiency for distance or max efficiency for flight duration? There is a difference. My statements above referred to the P4, and the P4P, so I am assuming yours only refers to the Mavic.

That's helpful information. Can you please supply a link to DJI stating that, so I can see exactly what they mean by that statement? Max efficiency for distance or max efficiency for flight duration? There is a difference. My statements above referred to the P4, and the P4P, so I am assuming yours only refers to the Mavic.
Correct, only the mavic since, well, it is a mavic forum and totally different to a phantom

I base efficiency off duration not distance since I go for time not distance out

I guess we could refer to distance as economy? and duration as efficiency?

As for the link, you just got to dji's webpage for mavic specs
"Max Flight Time 27 minutes (0 wind at a consistent 15.5 mph (25 kph))"

Correct, only the mavic since, well, it is a mavic forum and totally different to a phantom

I base efficiency off duration not distance since I go for time not distance out

I guess we could refer to distance as economy? and duration as efficiency?

As for the link, you just got to dji's webpage for mavic specs
"Max Flight Time 27 minutes (0 wind at a consistent 15.5 mph (25 kph))"
Thanks for clarifying. So 15.5 mph for max Mavic flight time. I'm interested in the optimum flight speed to cover the Max Distance on a single Mavic battery. I suspect it should be faster than 15.5 mph, with a point of diminishing return, where the battery consumption is faster than the additional distance coverage, from a faster speed.

The max distance at the Max Flight Time cited is 6.975 miles.

Sport Mode is clearly the worst for flight time and total distance.

Anyone have any experience on achieving more than a 7 mile flight distance at a faster consistent speed than 15.5 mph?

Could Easily be tested, on a no wind day, just flying in a circle around your Home Point at a constant speed, and tracking the distance flown results, based upon the selected speed.:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying. So 15.5 mph for max Mavic flight time. I'm interested in the optimum flight speed to cover the Max Distance on a single Mavic battery. I suspect it should be faster than 15.5 mph, with a point of diminishing return, where the battery consumption is faster than the additional distance coverage, from a faster speed.

The max distance at the Max Flight Time cited is 6.975 miles.

Sport Mode is clearly the worst for flight time and total distance.

Anyone have any experience on achieving more than a 7 mile flight distance at a faster consistent speed than 15.5 mph?

Could Easily be tested, on a no wind day, just flying in a circle around your Home Point at a constant speed, and tracking the distance flown results, based upon the selected speed.:cool:
Unlikely, max distance quoted in ideal conditions on the dji website is only 13 miles, 7 miles out and back is 14mile

Any videos of stock mavics with a genuine 14mile flight?

Unlikely, max distance quoted in ideal conditions on the dji website is only 13 miles, 7 miles out and back is 14mile

Any videos of stock mavics with a genuine 14mile flight?
Where do you see 14 miles quoted on the website?

Where do you see 14 miles quoted on the website?
There isn't, that's why I said it

Range is supposedly 7 miles so a 14 mile round trip
But specs states 13 miles total distance

Hence why I'm asking, anyone done 14 miles on stock setup?

The Mavic control range of 4.3 miles from DJI, is a radius, implying a maximum round trip flight of 8.6 miles out and back stock, without a range extender, assuming the battery will last that long. The 7 miles I quoted above is total distance on a single battery, calculated from the DJI quoted speed of 15.5 mph required for 27 minutes of flight time.

The DJI quoted 21 minutes ("In normal flight, 15% remaining battery level") and 8 mile "Max Flight Distance" are consistent with that, but show that a faster speed of 23 (22.89) mph will produce the longest distance, which is the speed needed to fly 8 miles in 21 minutes. QED. :cool:

IMG_8789.jpg
If you are willing to fly the battery down to 0% remaining, 8.6 miles roundtrip should be doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hollow Dog
Checked some flight logs of my longer flights

Today I traveled 5106m/16754ft for 20:05min
The other month I flew 6207m/20364ft for 14:43min

Todays flight was the longest, duration wise, that I've got out of my mavic. I averaged 15.25kmh and landed on 23%, wind speeds around the 10-15kmh mark at ground level
In feburary I flew my longest, distance wise, journey. I averaged 25.3kmh and landed on 28%, wind speeds around the 25-30kmh mark at ground level (I did over 4km of that journey perpendicular to the wind in gps mode averaging 50kmh on the eastern legs and 38kmh on the western legs)

If you want to go far, go fast
If you want to stay aloft, then cruise

Found the answer... I forgot about this when reading earlier in the week.
OjUGj5B.jpg
How is y'alls flying now since all the updates? Mine in normal mode will not fly more than 5-6mph at the fastest. In sport mode it flys up to 40 just like it used to. Any ideas if this is do to an update or what??????? Please help as this is super annoying!!!

How is y'alls flying now since all the updates? Mine in normal mode will not fly more than 5-6mph at the fastest. In sport mode it flys up to 40 just like it used to. Any ideas if this is do to an update or what??????? Please help as this is super annoying!!!

I don't update anything anymore. Flying .400 fw and DJ Go 4.0.7. Works fine for me!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121