DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sport Mode Tilted Horizon/Firmware

MavicGuy

Reactions
So I seen another related post but thought I would drop this one as it is also directly related to the upgrade on mine... After upgrading to the latest firmware I suddenly now have a tilted horizon when flying in sport mode and notice the aircraft leans heavily to one side while flying straight forward thus causing the tilt as the gimbal cannot keep up. Quite frustrating...

So I thought I would downgrade back to the 1.3 but it still does it... Also the Cinematic Mode never went away after downgrading... I thought this was a feature only found on the 1.3.2 as I do not remember having it before on only 1.3.

Any ideas how to fix? I thought of doing a imu calibration? And where is there so much chatter about imu location for calibration? I would assume a table in the house is fine no? This chatter is the only reason I am tentative to doing one... I leave for Mexico in 2 days and dont want to mess with anything further haha

UPDATE: See posts 11,12! Fixed via imu calibration and gimbal and compass as well..

Last edited:
IMU Calibration as cold as possible. Place a bubble level on the surface that you intend to calibrate the IMU upon and level side to side and front to back.

I am having the same issue, though not just in sports mode, I have the horizon totally flat then if I yaw at any pace or do a long fast turn for example the horizon is then wonky and takes a while to come back level. I have done a full imu calibration this eve and multiple gimbal calibrations but thus far testing (albeit in the confines of my apartment) leads me to believe it hasn't helped... now I'm wondering if it's firmware but then I would have thought there would be a lot more complaints on the issue. Worst case back to Best Buy with it sadly!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

IMU Calibration as cold as possible. Place a bubble level on the surface that you intend to calibrate the IMU upon and level side to side and front to back.

Was going to put the mp outside for an hour(-5C) then calibrate... And ensure table in house is level... Thinking this should work...

I am having the same issue, though not just in sports mode, I have the horizon totally flat then if I yaw at any pace or do a long fast turn for example the horizon is then wonky and takes a while to come back level. I have done a full imu calibration this eve and multiple gimbal calibrations but thus far testing (albeit in the confines of my apartment) leads me to believe it hasn't helped... now I'm wondering if it's firmware but then I would have thought there would be a lot more complaints on the issue. Worst case back to Best Buy with it sadly!

Both my original and replacement MP have done this. Level horizon, yawing in either direction full speed and the horizon looks like a roller coaster - despite having the flatest Florida land.

On my current one, I've also noticed that, in sport mode, and putting the right stick to the 10 o'clock position - fully into the top left corner - with the camera aimed at the horizon, the horizon will begin to tilt, and get continually worse until the angle is at least 30 or 40°. As soon as I stop, it returns to normal. It only does this when going forward and left. Not forward, not forward and right. I'd love to know if anyone else is seeing the same quirk.

Last edited:
It's interesting that in the latest firmware they did call out changes to the gimbal in notes though sounds like it should have improved things- "Improved gimbal performance when flying in low temperatures"

It's interesting that in the latest firmware they did call out changes to the gimbal in notes though sounds like it should have improved things- "Improved gimbal performance when flying in low temperatures"

Yes I also find this interesting as my unit did not do it before the firmware update to the most recent. But where I am confused is that its now doing it after rolling back the firmware as well... Very irritating as I wasnt going to update but figured I may as well since I hadnt been hearing much chatter on too many problems associated with the new update. But this seems to be one of them.

I plan to try the roll back this evening, will let you know if it makes any difference on mine

So I did an imu and it's worse! Toilet bowl effect and drifting while hovering... did it cold. But I'm worried I may have moved it at one point during the calibration...

The consensus is to do a calibration after a firmware update which I never. But then I rolled back so now I feel like it's all over the place... I might just try the calibration again and if it doesn't work I'm going to upgrade then calibrate...

I know it's not the machine because it was totally fine before all this started. Then I upgraded and it all began so... and I leave for Mexico tmr and would like to have this figured out before then...

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Update... Stayed on old firmware 1.3.0 and recalibrate the imu. Restarted drone. Calibrated gimbal. Restarted drone. Then fired up and recalibrate the compass.

Result... ROCK SOLID with minimal to no horizon tilt... lesson learned.

Always recalibrate after an upgrade or downgrade. From research and personal experience. Hope this helps anybody else and now I know!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

So I seen another related post but thought I would drop this one as it is also directly related to the upgrade on mine... After upgrading to the latest firmware I suddenly now have a tilted horizon when flying in sport mode and notice the aircraft leans heavily to one side while flying straight forward thus causing the tilt as the gimbal cannot keep up. Quite frustrating...

So I thought I would downgrade back to the 1.3 but it still does it... Also the Cinematic Mode never went away after downgrading... I thought this was a feature only found on the 1.3.2 as I do not remember having it before on only 1.3.

Any ideas how to fix? I thought of doing a imu calibration? And where is there so much chatter about imu location for calibration? I would assume a table in the house is fine no? This chatter is the only reason I am tentative to doing one... I leave for Mexico in 2 days and dont want to mess with anything further haha
Calibrate imu and gimbal. Turn off fpv in settings.

Fly safe... :)

Hope it works!
I thought it had in my house last night, definitely seemed improved but in the real world sadly the issue persists, a mini example of the wonky horizon when yawing followed by the correction can be seen here

I thought it had in my house last night, definitely seemed improved but in the real world sadly the issue persists, a mini example of the wonky horizon when yawing followed by the correction can be seen here

That's exactly how mine looks. One thing worth mentioning is that the pitch is much more noticeable when looking at something in the far distance (i.e. the real horizon) vs. something much closer - like cabinets inside, or a fence line in your back yard.

That's exactly how mine looks. One thing worth mentioning is that the pitch is much more noticeable when looking at something in the far distance (i.e. the real horizon) vs. something much closer - like cabinets inside, or a fence line in your back yard.
Yeah, definitely true, I tend to do a lot of landscape type footage with mine though so its seriously annoying, I think this one will be going back, looked back through footage on my first one (had a fault with rear arm so returned) and it didnt have this issue... so I think it's probably the hardware.

Fpv mode looks enabled to me ..?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have yet to own a DJI product that does not have some sort of horizon drift or other leveling issue.

Issues even on my new P4P:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zantuna