DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spreading bugs with a drone

eric18

Reactions
I saw an instagram post where a strawberry grower was applying beneficial mites to a strawberry field. The idea is that the good mites eat the bad mites.

I work for a large organic vegetable grower and we release some beneficial insects (green lacewing eggs) by hand. The larve eat aphid. The eggs are tiny and come in bags with rice hulls as a media. Really very little weight or volume to them. A one gallon jug would weigh less than a pound and cover 50acres.

I don't think I could modify my Mavic to deliver these good bugs. What should I consider? I guess the biggest question I have is how could I figure out a way to deliver these little guys? Some kind of hopper with a servo? Can anyone point me in the direction of someone that could answer my questions?

Here is what I saw
Instagram post by California Farms & Ranches • Mar 11, 2017 at 1:19pm UTC

Reactions: Vilco
A one gallon jug would weigh less than a pound and cover 50acres.
I don't think I could modify my Mavic to deliver these good bugs. What should I consider? I guess the biggest question I have is how could I figure out a way to deliver these little guys? Some kind of hopper with a servo? Can anyone point me in the direction of someone that could answer my questions?

Here is what I saw
Instagram post by California Farms & Ranches • Mar 11, 2017 at 1:19pm UTC

You just corked open a Pandora's Box
Let's go:

Great information. I got in contact with this local individual today. They are modifying P2s and 3s.

mysite

We spend about $100,000/year on good bugs so it would be nice to place them a bit better.

Oh man it had to happen soon, i see many things being carried with risk with these things.

but do i want one oh yes.

That is the trouble, everyone will want one and that might not be such a good thing. This definitely should not be used for fun.

I have a seed spreader that is hand cranked. A motor for the spinner and a servo for the drop chute would be fairly simple, and radio control units are darn cheap at hobby king etc. I wonder about the spread pattern given the proximity to prop wash however. Would need to be experimented to see if it could meet your needs. I would most likely build my own hex motored tri copter for great lift and to fly backwards with the spread going out the back away from the props. Really long booms, like 2-3 feet would be great and lifting capacity with 6 motors and some gonzo LiPos would be awesome. Check out the DIYdrone website for ideas. There's software/firmware you can use to map the pattern over the fields and fly it in true drone mode. Send me some strawberrys for my freeze dryer!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest