DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Starting new drone focused organization in Canada

Glasswalker

Reactions
Hey guys, I'm looking to (potentially) start a new drone focused community organization in Canada, to serve a similar purpose that MAAC does for the RC/Model Aircraft hobby... I think the two hobbies/industries have diverged enough to have significantly different interests, and to warrant individual organizations to represent them to lawmakers, community, and industry.

I have a thread started about this already under the rules/regs forum, as the main driver that prompted me to begin this was the new Canadian drone laws. But I'm cross-posting to this forum as well as this is the Canada focused forum.

I'm really seeking as much feedback/input as possible from the community, as well as input from anyone willing to help/participate in making this happen.

Here is the main thread: Canadian UAV Operators Organization to Parallel MAAC?

Please respond to the poll over there, and let me know your thoughts on that main thread!

Mods, I hope I'm not violating anything by cross-posting like this. If so, please let me know. I am also planning on cross-posting to the other drone forums as well.

Thanks!

Why re-invent the wheel. Why not join MAAC. I am a member of MAAC, we have 11,000 + members here in Canada, we already have representation at Transport Canada. A lot of our members including myself have drones and we are affected like everyone else. It will get very boring filming our flying field. With a stronger membership we would have more power possibly stronger representation at Transport Canada. I have already copied our directors with the well done YouTube video by Rick from California. Visit our web site www.MAAC.ca (Model Aeronautics Association of Canada)

Why re-invent the wheel. Why not join MAAC. I am a member of MAAC, we have 11,000 + members here in Canada, we already have representation at Transport Canada. A lot of our members including myself have drones and we are affected like everyone else. It will get very boring filming our flying field. With a stronger membership we would have more power possibly stronger representation at Transport Canada. I have already copied our directors with the well done YouTube video by Rick from California. Visit our web site www.MAAC.ca (Model Aeronautics Association of Canada)

That's not out of the question. The main concern is that MAAC has much existing structure/process in place around the idea of clubs/fields. Their existing insurance model is based around operating within restricted conditions (on fields, or pre-registered events), etc.

I know MAAC has a committee for UAV review, but it's been vacant for some time.

My thinking is that Unmanned Aviation (from the perspective of current drone technology, and the uses/industry building up around it) are fundamentally different than the traditional modelling/hobby RC flight scene. There is definitely no denying there is a lot of overlap, but the goals/interests diverge quite a bit.

A new organization focused on those special use cases may have more agility to react to things that are happening now, rather than being bogged down in "changing an existing organization".

I definitely don't think a new organization should stand alone, or compete with MAAC, and to be honest, formal cooperation between MAAC and a potential new group would be awesome (and in some ways very critical).

There is also the fact that I've encountered MAAC users that feel that the "drone" hobby is "diluting" their hobby, and while I know that's far from the standard feeling within MAAC membership, I think that it's probably a fairly common sentiment, and as a result, and organization of that scale would potentially have some push-back from members if too many changes/accommodations begin being proposed.

For example if we found that in order to include drone operators who want to do free-flight videography (recreationally) into the liability insurance coverage at MAAC, that we had to hike membership fees of existing MAAC users, do you think the majority of those 11,000 or more users would be ok with that?

I think there are a lot of great ways for MAAC to help this as well, I'm just not sold on the fact that getting everyone who flies a drone to join MAAC and having MAAC adapt to accommodate those drone operators best interests is either the best option, or even realistically achievable.

That said, I'm definitely open to suggestions, and I might be way off base on the above. Would love to hear more feedback :) (as you're the first one to really post, any feedback/info would be greatly appreciated)

Reactions: Melanik and ZimCan
I'm in no way a Spokesperson for MAAC but just saying. When I bought my drone I called the MAAC office with questions about the insurance coverage and was told that I could fly anywhere I had permission to fly as long as I followed regulations and be covered by MAAC liability insurance. (New Laws just put a stop to that) I was told that it did not have to be at a sanctioned field or event.
I know for a fact that model airplanes and drones don't mix. They don't fly alike and for this reason are not always welcome at Local Clubs. I know I also fly model aircrafts . MAAC covers many different disciplines, Free flight, Control Line flight, Electric planes , Gas & Glow fuel Sport planes, Rc cars. Local MAAC Model Aircraft sponsored clubs may not welcome drones but being under the MAAC umbrella might be beneficial.

Reactions: wheels
This is good to know, and I was unaware the coverage extended outside clubs/sanctioned events. Will have to look into this further.

Also completely agree with the last point: Being under MAAC umbrella (or at least strongly affiliated with MAAC) would definitely be beneficial.

Your points in the middle about drones/RC Not "mixing" is exactly the reason I felt the need for an independant organization. I think that we can still work very closely with MAAC, and establish a strong relationship (similar to MAAC and AMA in the states, where members can cross over when appropriate etc).

I'll be reaching out to MAAC for sure as part of the leg-work on this.

Ultimately I'm interested in the fastest route to getting a Canadian org together and getting in front of TC to start impacting these laws for the better. My initial assumption is that a new organization is the fastest route, but that may be proven wrong as I dig deeper. We will just have to see as we explore further :)

Thanks for the additional information/perspective!

I was a member of MAAC some years ago when I got my wings for fixed winged aircraft.

Is there a way to rejoin and start where I left off? Do they have a record of those that got wings and didn't renew their membership? I was ill with some issue and couldn't fly for a few years. I would rejoin if I could and start where I was.

Bud

I was a member of MAAC some years ago when I got my wings for fixed winged aircraft.

Is there a way to rejoin and start where I left off? Do they have a record of those that got wings and didn't renew their membership? I was ill with some issue and couldn't fly for a few years. I would rejoin if I could and start where I was.

Bud

If you remember your MAAC # you can rejoin with the same #. I did after approx. 15 years. Or they could issue a new #.

Unfortunately I don't remember it. Too bad they wouldn't have a record of it. Perhaps if I went out to the field where I was a member, they may have a record of it. It's only a couple of miles out of town.

I'll give that a try as soon as they open up for the year.

Thank you for your help.

Bud

If you remember your MAAC # you can rejoin with the same #. I did after approx. 15 years. Or they could issue a new #.

Unfortunately I don't remember it. Too bad they wouldn't have a record of it. Perhaps if I went out to the field where I was a member, they may have a record of it. It's only a couple of miles out of town.

I'll give that a try as soon as they open up for the year.

Thank you for your help.

Bud

Try calling the office. They may have a record of it.

Reactions: Matchlock
Just an update to this for those who expressed interest. I've jump-started the website. We have a more detailed survey and pre-registration process up. I'm already working with several community groups, and local Canadian Youtube Channels, etc, to get the word spread.

If you're interested in supporting this movement to get Canada some better drone laws, and support the safe enjoyment of our hobby, please hit up the site, feel free to contact me here, or via the site with questions, and please fill out the survey and pre-registration!

Thanks!

Site: UUAG – United Un-manned Aviators Guild
Stands for United Un-manned Aviators Guild
(I like to pronounce it "Wag")

Reactions: HUP55
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member