DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm Mavic Insurance

Plenty, and I've never seen everything skyrocket because of it. Recently had an ugly claim against me that was my fault, the only thing that went up was the vehicle that was used (not the rest of my vehicles), and they even gave us the option to take me off as a driver for that vehicle to keep the rate from going up. Glass claims? Plenty....so yeah, I have had.

Hopefully, your luck will continue.

Lets say that your insurance rates go up after you put in a claim for your mavic through State Farm. Would this effect Medical insurance in anyway? I am a 22 year old and don't see my self worrying about homeowners insurance or auto since I live in a large city. I want to take out this insurance on my mavic with hopes of never having to use it. Thoughts?

Hi All; Quite a few standard Home insurance policies DO cover RC aircraft (that includes drones for most part) as personal property etc. Mine does (Pekin Insurance), but the deductible in most cases will be $500 and up, so check your policy, deductibles etc, then call State Farm! Worst case is you can get half back even if your bird took a bath!!!

Lets say that your insurance rates go up after you put in a claim for your mavic through State Farm. Would this effect Medical insurance in anyway? I am a 22 year old and don't see my self worrying about homeowners insurance or auto since I live in a large city. I want to take out this insurance on my mavic with hopes of never having to use it. Thoughts?

Medical Insurance is a separate risk pool. Medical claims don't affect property claims and vice versa.

I was looking into DJI Care Refresh until I saw that it does not include water damage. That's the major risk I see: dropping into a lake or ocean while flying. I'm not too concerned about crashing on land.

Update: The do insure water damage now. See 2nd post below.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with my state farm rep. He had to contact underwriting. He got back to me and said State Farm will insure it in every state in the US except for California.

Remember, you're asking for a personal articles policy, not drone insurance. Let's be civilized people.

Reactions: stresspro
I just received and email from DJI... their DJI Care Refresh now covers water damage. So this makes it worth it to me.

Only issue I'm not sure of is... you may need to retrieve it if it drops into the lake/river/ocean. :)

Strange how many different takes there are on this issue. Obviously states regulate insurance practices differently, but still... My broker said that any claim will be entered into ChoicePoint. Even a "free" windshield replacement is a ding on the CP record. Since all insurers participate in CP, when it comes time for renewal, or if you're shopping for a new provider, they all refer to the same database. That means they see ALL claims. How they allow those claims to affect your risk premium is probably dependent on the particular company's underwriting standards - but the claim is visible. What my agent says is that anytime there is a renewal those claims count.

As an example, my father backed out of his garage and hit the car of a visiting guest. His insurance covered the damage. All parties were made whole, and they put it behind them. Fast forward a year, and it's time for MY auto renewal. I receive notice from my insurer that I didn't receive the best rate possible because of recent claim activity. I contacted my agent to determine what happend. She explained to me how ChoicePoint works, and even forwarded a copy of my CP record - something she insisted I not share with anyone - since agents are strictly forbidden to disclose any info from the database, never mind that CP even exists.

I read the claims history, and surprise, surprise, I got dinged for my father's accident. Why? Because his home address (where the accident happened) was listed as one of my previous addresses FROM 20 YEARS AGO! I got penalized for something that had NOTHING to do with me. And, because I was not allowed to have access to my CP record, I had no way to contest it. Unlike credit reports, where consumers can contest inaccurate data with the three credit reporting agencies, Lexis Nexis (ChoicePoint) is NOT regulated and functions privately.

So, regardless of who your insurer is, or what their underwriting standards may be, just realize that when you file a claim, it will be entered in your CP record. Come renewal, you may (or may not) be penalized for it. To me, the risk that it may bite me now or later is simply not worth blemishing my record. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: joelb727
The way I'm seeing this is I have 4 drones from DJI, P3P, P4, P4P, and Mavic Pro, so even if If I pay 2-4 hundred a year with a small or no deductible I'll still be ahead in the long run,,, DJI coverage doesn't compare, I've got an appointment tomorrow afternoon to see what's what, since mine are considered personal property, and could be classified as business related which ever ways cheapest and covers replacement cost not pro-rated I don't care if I'll have to pay more for a claim or not period. I've got to much invested as it is to chance damaged or stolen gear! My computers alone run 15 grand! I'll see what type of coverage is available tomorrow! I know how CP works all insurance companies are involved so it's not like you could just go somewhere else and expect a better deal LoL. But you'll either go with a higher deductible or premium either way, but hey your paying them for a service they are giving you for a risk they take. They are making money left and right either way!!!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Strange how many different takes there are on this issue. Obviously states regulate insurance practices differently, but still... My broker said that any claim will be entered into ChoicePoint. Even a "free" windshield replacement is a ding on the CP record. Since all insurers participate in CP, when it comes time for renewal, or if you're shopping for a new provider, they all refer to the same database. That means they see ALL claims. How they allow those claims to affect your risk premium is probably dependent on the particular company's underwriting standards - but the claim is visible. What my agent says is that anytime there is a renewal those claims count.

As an example, my father backed out of his garage and hit the car of a visiting guest. His insurance covered the damage. All parties were made whole, and they put it behind them. Fast forward a year, and it's time for MY auto renewal. I receive notice from my insurer that I didn't receive the best rate possible because of recent claim activity. I contacted my agent to determine what happend. She explained to me how ChoicePoint works, and even forwarded a copy of my CP record - something she insisted I not share with anyone - since agents are strictly forbidden to disclose any info from the database, never mind that CP even exists.

I read the claims history, and surprise, surprise, I got dinged for my father's accident. Why? Because his home address (where the accident happened) was listed as one of my previous addresses FROM 20 YEARS AGO! I got penalized for something that had NOTHING to do with me. And, because I was not allowed to have access to my CP record, I had no way to contest it. Unlike credit reports, where consumers can contest inaccurate data with the three credit reporting agencies, Lexis Nexis (ChoicePoint) is NOT regulated and functions privately.

So, regardless of who your insurer is, or what their underwriting standards may be, just realize that when you file a claim, it will be entered in your CP record. Come renewal, you may (or may not) be penalized for it. To me, the risk that it may bite me now or later is simply not worth blemishing my record. Just my $0.02.

Some of what you said is not true, you can obtain a free report from Lexis Nexis if there are inaccuracies you can dispute them just like on credit reports.
Go HERE to learn more

I just copied the OP's text and sent it to my insurance broker. She's been researching this on my behalf for the last few days. I asked her to find out if my current insurer(s) would extend drone coverage. She said no, but would look at other underwriters to see if I should switch. The idea that I could buy a separate police for JUST the MP from an unrelated company didn't even cross my (and probably her) mind. I bought the refresh, but if SF is able to sell me a similar policy in FL, I'll ask for a refund.
Please let me know how it goes with SF. I talked to my SF agent here on the SW FL coast and he said it would cost between $75 to $100. Problem is he hasnt called me back.

sent from my Galaxy Note4

Last edited:
Anyone get Sate Farm insurance without having any other coverage with them (like car or home)? I'm reaching out to the local rep in my area and she's trying to get me to sign up for home and car insurance as well. Just wanted to see if other were successful in just getting the personal property policy without anything else.

Anyone get Sate Farm insurance without having any other coverage with them (like car or home)? I'm reaching out to the local rep in my area and she's trying to get me to sign up for home and car insurance as well. Just wanted to see if other were successful in just getting the personal property policy without anything else.

I would also be interested in this info. I have AAA car insurance now.

Just as an FYI...I just added my Inspire 2 to my existing State Farm Personal Articles Policy and my premiums did increase by $40+ annually. Simply put, I pay $120 a year which covers over $5000 of equipment.

Just as an FYI...I just added my Inspire 2 to my existing State Farm Personal Articles Policy and my premiums did increase by $40+ annually. Simply put, I pay $120 a year which covers over $5000 of equipment.

For all the drones you have, it's much cheaper then DJI care. I figure as long as I can get it cheaper then the cost of two DJI cares (for my two drones) it'll be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

It was a bit complicated with the Inspire 2, because I had to explain that the 2 gimbals/cameras were not permanently attached to the drone

I would also be interested in this info. I have AAA car insurance now.

FYI, I live in Michigan and also have AAA for home/auto. Just called local SF agent and was quoted the $60/year for standalone zero deductible coverage on the Mavic Pro. I plan on signing up with SF...seems an easy decision compared to DJI Care Refresh.

Thanks to everyone for the tips & info on this coverage option! I never would have thought to contact an insurance agency about this...

Yeah, its pretty much a "no brainer". Low premium, better coverage and no deductible. I've had my SF agent for 20+ years and he tells me that this type of policy dates back at least 25 years. He had to look in the SF handbook when he wrote my policy. Let's just hope not too many of us file claims or up go the premiums.

I purchased a State Farm policy covering my Mavic Pro fly more combo package at $1300 for $75 and no deductible. It took awhile for the agent to accept that State Farm covered this type of equipment. Remember to take your Mavic along with proof of purchase amount to speed things along.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost