DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Parks

gr5

Reactions
Anyone flown in state parks around the area if so which ones!

Spindle - I think your answer needs a few caveats. A blanket no is not correct. In fact, a bit of google searching brings me to California which I believe is probably the most liberal and overshadowing state in the Union. But when it comes to drones, not so much.
State Parks carry their own set of rules and regs. However, SOME are governed by Federal laws. THOSE are definitely a no-no.

So, look at the page linked below to California state parks. It is the latest and greatest. But there are caveats as mentioned. Some state parks are have their own jurisdiction and ban them while others, as stated, do not ban them. According to Dennis Weber of the California State Parks, there are no specific bans or regulations regarding drones. However, there are laws that will protect the wildlife and visitors. <<< I pulled that from a January 2016 article about a drone flying over seals at a beach park. >>>

Here is the site for California state parks rules for drones: Unmanned Aircraft System (Drones) in State Parks

GR5 - It is much easier to google the park you want to fly in to get a potential answer. However, it is HIGHLY recommended you call them directly. Much easier to ask up front than risk a fine or even jail even though most of the time, the cops and/or governing bodies will most likely just ask you to leave.

Yea I knew national parks were a no go but state had their own rules just wondering which ones people have gone to here in Washington state. But thanks for the info too.

Flaming Geyser state park has an RC Airfield in Western Washington. The rules are pretty strict though, a river boarders the field, and you aren't "allowed" to fly over the river.... And you are only allowed to fly over the field. So, I'm looking for mostly parks and National FORESTS.

Reactions: Wersh and gr5
You need to have written authorization, insurance, and fill out and submit a permit application with $25 to fly a state park in Washington. Going through the process now to fly a park in NE Washington.

How about new York state parks? The smaller ones? Where else can we fly that isn't trespassing, illegal, or boring in light of these new regulations and rules in these modern times???

You need to have written authorization, insurance, and fill out and submit a permit application with $25 to fly a state park in Washington. Going through the process now to fly a park in NE Washington.

Which park did you fly at?

Garden key national state park

Dry Tortugas is a national park, not a state park. As you discovered the hard way, the U.S. National Park Service does not allow take off and landing of UAVs inside the parks. Some Park Rangers will confiscate your equipment rather than just issue a warning. You were lucky. Also, people arrive at Dry Tortugas via boat, seaplane and helicopter. You could have found yourself interfering with commercial or private air traffic.

This should be a lesson to everyone: check local laws, regulations and conditions before you fly, especially if you are in an unfamiliar location such as a foreign country.

Ok I just emailed the Washington State parks and got the following link back: Remote Controlled Aircraft | Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission

For non-commercial filming you need to pay $25, fill out the following application (found in the link above), and submit to the park
For commercial filming, $25 fee, and fill out the RC Application, a secondary filming permit (found in link above), and submit to your park.

Not exactly easy, but still technically possible.

Reactions: Charlie J
What I understood is that the state park can restrict operations in the park. Operations defined as taking off and landing.

Reactions: orionshooter
Ok I just emailed the Washington State parks and got the following link back: Remote Controlled Aircraft | Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission

For non-commercial filming you need to pay $25, fill out the following application (found in the link above), and submit to the park
For commercial filming, $25 fee, and fill out the RC Application, a secondary filming permit (found in link above), and submit to your park.

Not exactly easy, but still technically possible.

More bureaucracy and fingers into pockets for money. Like it cost the park or state if I fly a drone over it. Do you know if flying whithin the park or flying over from outside park.

I live in Eastern Wa. Have flown in some state parks and never knew of restrictions. No signs posted.

Reactions: orionshooter
In Washington state it is all about the "operation" aka landing/taking/ and controlling your device within the park. Once in the air only FAA has the the authority to say what you can and can't do, you just need to be controlling your MP outside of the park. So if you control/take-off/land outside of the park, that is perfectly fine. What you might have to look out for is if they have rules about loud noise that could scare wildlife. If you stay 200ft you can barely hear it so I think you would be ok... but I'm no legal expert

In Washington state it is all about the "operation" aka landing/taking/ and controlling your device within the park. Once in the air only FAA has the the authority to say what you can and can't do, you just need to be controlling your MP outside of the park. So if you control/take-off/land outside of the park, that is perfectly fine. What you might have to look out for is if they have rules about loud noise that could scare wildlife. If you stay 200ft you can barely hear it so I think you would be ok... but I'm no legal expert

Good to know. Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000