DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strangest thing...

MavicKhan

Reactions
I've been using my Mavic fairly intensively since I received it, about 3 weeks ago.

This little critter is addictive and I've pretty much flown it every off day, taking advantage of the excellent weather for this activity.

I am using an iPad Mini 2 I bought second-hand strictly for this job, an tablet which was (is) in excellent condition.

Up until today everything was running without a single hiccup.

Then, today, for my first 2 batteries I kept having the app showing "disconnect", from time to time, without apparent reason.

I checked the connections at both ends of the lightning cable and everything seemed in order. Whenever I disconnected and reconnect the cable at one of the ends, iOS would make the connection chime and things came back to normal only for, after some random time, the video feed to disappear again, with the "Disconnect" warning.

I tried shutting everything down and restating everything again but the problem kept popping-up.

Then, I moved to another location to use the 3rd battery, everything disconnected and stowed for the short ride, and during that single-battery second session there were no disconnects, everything worked as it normally does.

Any ideas what might have happened? Have you heard of similar stories?

Thanks!

MK

Last edited:
I've been using my Mavic fairly intensively since I received it, about 3 weeks ago.

This little critter is addictive and I've pretty much flown it every off day, taking advantage of the excellent weather for this activity.

I am using an iPad Mini 2 I bought second-hand strictly for this job, an tablet which was (is) in excellent condition.

Up until today everything was running without a single hiccup.

Then, today, for my first 2 batteries I kept having the app showing "disconnect", from time to time, without apparent reason.

I checked the connections at both ends of the lightning cable and everything seemed in order. Whenever I disconnected and reconnect the cable at one of the ends, iOS would make the connection chime and things came back to normal only for, after some random time, the video feed to disappear again, with the "Disconnect" warning.

I tried shutting everything down and restating everything again but the problem kept pooping-up.

Then, I moved to another location to use the 3rd battery, everything disconnected and stowed for the short ride, and during that single-battery second session there were no disconnects, everything worked as it normally does.

Any ideas what might have happened? Have you heard of similar stories?

Thanks!

MK

Cable wearing out? Those cables are pretty flimsy. I could see them wearing out fairly quickly with all the plugging and unplugging that goes on.

Sounds like you were getting some radio interference at the first spot. I have a place I fly a lot without issue, the other day I got a few short video disconnects, seems there was a city worker testing a radio repeater close by, and every time he did a hi-power test I lost video. I moved to the other side of the park and no more issues.

Cable wearing out? Those cables are pretty flimsy. I could see them wearing out fairly quickly with all the plugging and unplugging that goes on.

No, I don't think so...the cable is brand new and there's a definite, solid attrition going in and going out, at both terminals.

MK

Sounds like you were getting some radio interference at the first spot. I have a place I fly a lot without issue, the other day I got a few short video disconnects, seems there was a city worker testing a radio repeater close by, and every time he did a hi-power test I lost video. I moved to the other side of the park and no more issues.

This makes sense, yes. However, there were no electrical/electronic infrastructures close by and there no electromagnetic interference warnings from the app. Of course, for those kind of infrastructures to be present, they don't have to be in plain sight.

I will see how things will go from now on and, if things keep normal, I will definitely chalk it down to an interference.

MK

Reactions: bwall525
Flip the cable contact 180 degrees. I have the same problem with some of My IOS cables.

The cheapest test is to get a new cable. The problem may not be the connectors.

Flip the cable contact 180 degrees. I have the same problem with some of My IOS cables.

Hmmm...interesting...so one of the most intelligent design characteristics can actually work against the user?...I'll will take note of which side "works" and keep using that side thanks :)

MK

Hmmm...interesting...so one of the most intelligent design characteristics can actually work against the user?...I'll will take note of which side "works" and keep using that side thanks :)

MK
Be sure to mark the 'good' side with a sharpie so you remember which one it is :)

No worries, it is clearly marked with a logo :)

Txs!

MK
I'd sure be interested in hearing if flipping the cable like that fixes it, just in case I start having the same problem. I know lots of folks using iPad Minis, though most of us are using the 4.

I'd sure be interested in hearing if flipping the cable like that fixes it, just in case I start having the same problem. I know lots of folks using iPad Minis, though most of us are using the 4.
I actually had a cheap after market lightning cable not charge my iPhone in one direction, had to flip it over once in awhile, but never had the issue with a quality aftermarket or Apple certified cable. Never tried that bad cable on data though.

Make sure its not related to that location specificaly. Thats easy to do just go fly somewhere else next time and you can consider that variable covered. Next

The most plausible thing imo would be your phone's charge port may need cleaned. Next I would think cable malfunction and again that is very easy to check out just replace the mini cable for a long normal one u charge with and see if u get errors still

Also, have u tried wiggling things around to see if you can make the error happen manually? Thats a good way to seek out a minor connection hiccup

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have this same problem a lot, but I can't figure out a pattern. I'll fly several batteries in a day and not see it once. Then another day, in the same area, the problem is relentless all day long.
It's a physical connection, so I doubt it's radio interference. I still suspect the cable or connection even though it doesn't really explain why the problem appears and disappears for such long periods. So far, I'm just using therapy-through-cursing to get through those episodes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143