DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe lights for front

jerryj

Reactions
I've got the strobon strobe lights red and green for my mavic which I still don't have but which side is the red and which is the green if you're standing behind the bird

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Asfalt
It comes from the factory with red lights on the two front legs and a green light in the middle on the tail.

Well, you ARE in the air... right?
I'm not sure what you are asking. Or why you ARE yelling the word "ARE". There are no regulations for light colors on a UAS. The colors on a large manned airplane are there so ithe pilot can tell by looking which direction a plane is flying. A UAS shouldn't be in the airspace of manned aircraft so it doesn't matter if you ARE in the proper airspace (below 400ft and >5 miles from an airport). But, no harm in lighting up your UAS this way. Sounds fun.

Can you link to the strobes? How do you plan to install them on your Mavic?

I think the best place to buy them from is flytron.com I believe they are the source of the "strobon standalone" LED lights. There was a recent manufacturing defect so if you order direct from them you can be assured you will get the most recently manufactured product. Also, they were the cheapest price I could find. They are located in the UK. It took about 7 to 10 days to arrive to the US. STROBON Standalone - Flytron I plan to attach them to my Mavic with these:
https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-Industrial-Strength-Profile/dp/B000F5IKRA

Also, just FYI, if visibility at night is your priority then white is the brightest and most visible from a distance followed by green, then blue, and red being the least visible.

Reactions: Sandovaal
I haven't received my Mavic yet, but I've thought about trying to open the LED covers on the front arms and seeing what a hassle it would be to switch the right one to a Green LED. Shouldn't be a hard solder job, I think it'll really depend on how hard it is to get the cover off. I just think personally that it would help for LOS orientation, plus I think it will look better. :)

I haven't received my Mavic yet, but I've thought about trying to open the LED covers on the front arms and seeing what a hassle it would be to switch the right one to a Green LED. Shouldn't be a hard solder job, I think it'll really depend on how hard it is to get the cover off. I just think personally that it would help for LOS orientation, plus I think it will look better. :)
You could just Velcro a green led over the factory red led. of course it won't look factory that way, but it also won't void your warranty.

Reactions: FPVJunkie
My plan was to put a white led on the tail just above the factory green led. and a blue in the front just below the gimbal. Not sure if the one in front will show up in video tho.

Yeah, good point about voiding the warranty... not worth that risk.

Those STROBON things are great . . They claim 5hrs . . I used them at a UAV show all day one day (6hr+) and they worked the next day for 3hrs+ on the same charge . . I can see them 1/2 mile out and further if the background is darker than the sky like trees buildings or cloud. Check the video here. Anyone else got some flight test experiences?
I bought two more but only available in UK now . . NA sold out . .

I'm not sure what you are asking. Or why you ARE yelling the word "ARE". There are no regulations for light colors on a UAS. The colors on a large manned airplane are there so ithe pilot can tell by looking which direction a plane is flying. A UAS shouldn't be in the airspace of manned aircraft so it doesn't matter if you ARE in the proper airspace (below 400ft and >5 miles from an airport). But, no harm in lighting up your UAS this way. Sounds fun.
Sorry, you didn't get it. I wasn't yelling, I was just referring to the fact that you are flying a UAV in the federal air space, so lighting your A/C in the prescribed manner is a good thing, rules or not. As for being in the air space of manned A/C that is sometimes unavoidable, as medical flights, police flights, and numerous other manned A/C are at times below 400' AGL outside of controlled air space so having your UAV lit is a safety factor. I had very bright lights on my P3 for night flying, and they could be seen for a couple of miles. At night I always fly LOS simply because you cannot see your A/C in relation to others at night without it. Fly Safe!

I think the best place to buy them from is flytron.com I believe they are the source of the "strobon standalone" LED lights. There was a recent manufacturing defect so if you order direct from them you can be assured you will get the most recently manufactured product. Also, they were the cheapest price I could find. They are located in the UK. It took about 7 to 10 days to arrive to the US. STROBON Standalone - Flytron I plan to attach them to my Mavic with these:
https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-Industrial-Strength-Profile/dp/B000F5IKRA

Also, just FYI, if visibility at night is your priority then white is the brightest and most visible from a distance followed by green, then blue, and red being the least visible.

Here is a US supplier that ships quick.
Strobe Lights : Ready Made RC LLC, The Leader in All Things FPV, RC, and Beyond

As for being in the air space of manned A/C that is sometimes unavoidable, as medical flights, police flights, and numerous other manned A/C are at times below 400' AGL outside of controlled air space so having your UAV lit is a safety factor.

Thank you for aknowledging this. It's annoying that everyone on these forums think the only thing allowed to fly below 400ft agl is a hobbyist.

I regularly fly below 400ft. It's my job. Anyone that claims they can see a drone while piloting manned aircraft might be crazy, or the drone was less than 20 ft from them. It's hard enough seeing other manned, larger aircraft at times.

Bright strobes are a great idea, unless you are 20ft over the ocean and I'm searching for survivors, then I might come closer to check you out haha

Dave

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: JQCitizen
Would adding two of these affect the way the Mavic flies? Also what color lights would you see the best fro a distence.
I would think that white would be the easiest to see at a distance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580