DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobon - Standalone LED Strobe: Configurations

Nirwin

Reactions
So I've seen a fair few people talk about Strobon both on here and in other places, and htink it would be really beneficial to have.

I'd just be interested to have a consolidated report from those who have them as to what their configuration of their selected Strobon's are and their placement.

Is there a general rule of thumb or personal preference?

Just bought my 1st Strobon. Decided to get at least one having taken it out for a flight the other day and found that it was a bit hard to see when it started getting dark. Can only be a good thing to have right?!

Seems very impressive and bright when on! Just need to attach it and test it out proper in terms of distances and visibility. Decided to stick with the aviation theme and get red for an underside strobe, potentially get a green one with each colour representing a specific side to the Mavic.

Reactions: 3goldens
Is there a US retailer that is selling the Strobon Standalones?
I have white and red STROBON Cree strobe lights in stock. You can buy them from me here.

I have white and red STROBON Cree strobe lights in stock. You can buy them from me here.

Digging mine I got from you, was between surf sessions at the beach Sat, ordered then and bam Mon at 11ish they show up 1st class mail in So Cal so awesome an so fukin fast! Thanks again! Sending my pal Hector to buy a pair!

Reactions: Rbruz
Thank you for keeping me in mind. I appreciate it :)

Just placed an order for White, Red, and Green. There may be others with lower prices, but I believe in supporting someone who's been supportive of our Mavic community. :)

Question, any thought of building the holders so the LED can be mounted on the bottom of the legs, rather than oriented front or rear?

-Jeff

Forgive my naivety but what is the main purpose for these lights during the day? I can understand how these would come in handy during night flights or close to dawn or dusk but otherwise what's the point? Do they actually help with aircraft location during the day? Serious question.

Forgive my naivety but what is the main purpose for these lights during the day? I can understand how these would come in handy during night flights or close to dawn or dusk but otherwise what's the point? Do they actually help with aircraft location during the day? Serious question.

Like insurance, you HOPE you never need it, but it can't help if you don't have it. On the offhand chance it can catch a pilots' eye before you're aware they are heading for your UAV, it's worth it. From their perspective your bird is likely backgrounded by dark trees and foliage so there's more contrast than looking up against a bright sky. At least to me it is cheap enough that it is worth doing.

Just for reference, my motorcycle riding jackets and helmets are hi-viz yellow for the same reason. Safety. If a motorist notices me just a wee bit sooner, it can save my life. I've seen it happen so I'm sticking with Hi-viz!

Like insurance, you HOPE you never need it, but it can't help if you don't have it. On the offhand chance it can catch a pilots' eye before you're aware they are heading for your UAV, it's worth it. From their perspective your bird is likely backgrounded by dark trees and foliage so there's more contrast than looking up against a bright sky. At least to me it is cheap enough that it is worth doing.

Just for reference, my motorcycle riding jackets and helmets are hi-viz yellow for the same reason. Safety. If a motorist notices me just a wee bit sooner, it can save my life. I've seen it happen so I'm sticking with Hi-viz!
Got it. That makes perfect sense. Thank you for clearing that up.

Where would be the appropriate location to mount them? On the arms, on the body, in what orientation, to help make it more visible to other aircrafts?

I purchased 2 red & 2 white strobe lites from msinger. That are great, easy to install, easy to use and best of all...dealing with msinger is an absolute great experience. He will answer any and all questions in a timely manner. He is also extremely honest and knowledgeable. I rate him, his products and service a 10.

Reactions: msinger and WEOTN
Where would be the appropriate location to mount them? On the arms, on the body, in what orientation, to help make it more visible to other aircrafts?

With the gimbal pointed torwards me, I have the red strobe on the back right arm, facing forward. Green strobe on back left arm, facing forward.whtite strobe on a the back panel that faces upwards slightly. The orientation follows the FAA aircraft positional lighting. I'm sure there's 100 different placements but as long as you have full visibility of them, you should be good.. I'll grab a photo when I'm at the studio.

Here's my layout.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
any thought of building the holders so the LED can be mounted on the bottom of the legs, rather than oriented front or rear?
I can modify these mounts to face them downward. Would that work for you?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3