DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid firmware update caused me the mav to crash this morning!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gixxerbill

Reactions
I am so bummed out. My whole family was coming down this next weekend and I was going to show my nephews this sucker and now it will be in california for 3 to 4 weeks.

I was in sport mode this morning and started doing some up and down funnel maneuvers did it fine for like 3 or 4 times and then when I was coming down at 30 it just starts falling from the sky and bam crashed in the lot I own with grass on it. And it was wet grass too so it wasn't real hard. I really can't believe it screwed it up inside but it did. Get a red back light when I try to start it.

I was thinking what the hell could have happened I know I turned off the pull sticks down and inward thing for emergency stop but i know i turned it off. Then on the way to work it hit me. The stupid firmware upgrade. I guess it must have reset everything. Just pisses me off why does it have to reset everything can't those computer geeks stop that from happening? I wish I never had to update the stupid firmware just a bunch of suckers thinking of ways of keeping their jobs it's nothing but a pain in the butt.

It says system error on the controller and a red light on the back means it's going to cali for repair. Think they are going to charge me?

Darn gixxerbill, I am sorry to hear that. I would have missed that too.
Regards,
-d.

Reactions: JustinVV
I know just what you're going through right now, buddy, feeling the loss of your drone. While I do still have my Mavic, I lost another drone yesterday - my Typhoon H Pro - through no fault of my own. That controller just blinked out on me momentarily and when it suddenly came back alive on its own I had no video feed or RC connection, so, as Sir Paul McCartney sang, "This bird has flown."

Yes, you DO have to check out your settings again after every firmware update, regardless of what drone you are flying. Sometimes certain settings even have to be reset during major computer upgrades, so I think that is just the nature of the beasts we are dealing with at this point in time when it comes to system upgrades. I'm unsure if all drone manufacturers display this important notice prominently or if at all, but they obviously should. It's an easy but crucial thing to miss. Did you, by any chance, have DJI care?

You probably will get charged for the repairs, absent any proof that the crash was not your fault, especially if data can prove that you did engage the CSC command to stop motors, even if done inadvertently. The cross we sometimes have to bear when engaged in risky, expensive ventures.

Try not to take this situation personally or let it ruin your upcoming weekend time with your family. That kind of time is precious time that CANNOT be gotten back, whereas I hear they're making Mavics and repairing them every day, so before too long you will be made whole once again.

"These are the times that try men's souls." Can't remember just who said that right now - might have been Sir Winston Churchill - but it's a good thought to keep in your head this Friday before your nephews arrive on your doorstep for the weekend. Try to show them an Uncle who can take anything in stride, including this little setback, as Life lessons to little ones come from EVERYONE they have contact with. Proudly tell them of the fun you've had with your Mavic and perhaps show them some footage you've captured, relate your tale of how it crashed but is being repaired, and then promise to send them some videos of what you capture next once it is back in your hands again.

In the meantime, just try and take it easy. As my Father always said to me at times like this before I recently lost him, "Don't worry. I hear things are supposed to get better tomorrow."

Thanks for the kind words bunny and cc rider. You are probably right they won't pay for it. So can I send it in without some kind of ap code or something they want on the repair order? I didn't bring the controller to work with me and I would like to get the sucker in the mail. So if I say it was my fault(which it wasn't I still think it's stupid as can be to have kill functions on the sticks. should be a different button altogether and then the ap upgrade which reset everything.

Not trying to be a butthole but a firmware upgrade resets the aircraft. You should always check the settings after doing so. Its your fault not the firmware.
I disagree I think it is the nerd that can't write a firmware upgrade without resetting everything. Sheesh I mean they can hack the cia they can't write a firmware that doesn't reset everything? What pain the assssss for us the customers to do on every there is a firmware upgrate that these geeks come up with to save their jobs each quarter.

I didn't realize that we could disable the "self-destruct" maneuver.
yea you can but you better remember to reset with everything else you have to reset at every stupid firmware update.

I disagree I think it is the nerd that can't write a firmware upgrade without resetting everything. Sheesh I mean they can hack the cia they can't write a firmware that doesn't reset everything? What pain the assssss for us the customers to do on every there is a firmware upgrate that these geeks come up with to save their jobs each quarter.

I agree with you they should be able to, but so far every update has been like that on my Mavic. So I'm assuming they will claim it was user error due to not checking your setting before flight or after an update.

Thanks for the kind words bunny and cc rider. You are probably right they won't pay for it. So can I send it in without some kind of ap code or something they want on the repair order? I didn't bring the controller to work with me and I would like to get the sucker in the mail. So if I say it was my fault(which it wasn't I still think it's stupid as can be to have kill functions on the sticks. should be a different button altogether and then the ap upgrade which reset everything.

If it were me, I would make contact with DJI ASAP to create an official case number on the matter, including telling them your story and feelings about the crash which they will put into their report. Follow any instructions they give you at that time, including sending them any flight log information they may ask for. Package up the drone only without a battery and send it to them in the original packaging if you still have it.

Worse case scenario is you will have to bite the financial bullet, something which you seem to be aware of and at least accept, which is great. You have to be realistic. However, also keep hope alive until then that they may help you out to some degree after reading your story, perhaps in a repair bill reduction or whatever else they may have to offer you. Be prepared for some unwanted turnaround time getting your Mavic back, as the line ahead of you to the DJI repair shop is not a short one.

Most of all after you do all of that, enjoy your nephews and family. THAT'S what this weekend is really about.

Trust me i feel you but its kinda a standard now with anything now a days. Computers,flashing/jailbreaking cell phones/ ecu updates at the dealership. No way around it. Hopfully they will fix it and it not cost much and be careful in the future. It sucks to break thousand dollar equipment.

Two issues here...

1. This isn't the firmware's fault. You failed to check the settings before flight.

2. The Mavic is a $1000 photography drone, not a sport quad. Buy a $60 sport quad off Banggood to do funnels with.

Two issues here...

1. This isn't the firmware's fault. You failed to check the settings before flight.

2. The Mavic is a $1000 photography drone, not a sport quad. Buy a $60 sport quad off Banggood to do funnels with.
Again I don't think I should have too. And why didn't they give me a stupid warning like they do the stupid wind warning all over the the screen.

Will a banggood $60 drone do 43 mph if yes I am in.

Again I don't think I should have too. And why didn't they give me a stupid warning like they do the stupid wind warning all over the the screen.

Will a banggood $60 drone do 43 mph if yes I am in.

You should have to and do have to. You have to check them before every flight, firmware upgrade or not, because it's the responsible thing to do. That's aside from the fact that it's not intended to be flown like that. Build or buy a tiny race quad, then when you crash it's repairable at home for cheap and it puts people in less danger than flinging around a 2lb hunk of metal that really isn't meant for aggressive flying.

You should have to and do have to. You have to check them before every flight, firmware upgrade or not, because it's the responsible thing to do. That's aside from the fact that it's not intended to be flown like that. Build or buy a tiny race quad, then when you crash it's repairable at home for cheap and it puts people in less danger than flinging around a 2lb hunk of metal that really isn't meant for aggressive flying.
who said? YOU? You are probably the geek that writes the lame firmware upgrades.

State Farm Personal Articles policy for $60.00 a year would have covered this. DJI will examine the flight data and determine a CSC was performed inadvertently and call it pilot error.

Reactions: devin120
who said? YOU? You are probably the geek that writes the lame firmware upgrades.

Says everyone that's been flying RC for years and has common sense. Running through every setting that might affect flight takes all of 30 seconds and should be done prior to every flight. People with the "set it and forget it" attitude are why we have so many "DJI sucks!! My drone crashed/flew away and it's all their fault!!!" threads. I have yet to see one of those threads on this board that wasn't an issue of user error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851