DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Summer flying tips

Former Member

Reactions
As the warmer weather approaches, your Mavic will behave a little bit differently than when you were flying it in the winter. Your internal components wont take as long to warm up to operating temperature, and your bird and controller will both be running hotter than normal. Here are a few things to think about.

1. Try not to fly if the temperature is above 95f outside, especially if its sunny out. The Mavic's rated max operating temperature is 104, but I dont like to max things out. Best to keep things within normal operating temps.

2. Dont be afraid if the fan comes on right after you start the Mavic. It has a preset threshold as to when it will come on and kick off, so if its hot outside, expect it to stay on the whole flight even after you land. The controller also has a fan, and that works the same way. You can hear it through the grill on top of the controller, so dont cover the grill with anything.

3. Beware of flying into the sun because it could disable your obstacle avoidance. Common problem, best to shoot with your tail facing the sun, better results anyway.

4. Let your Mav cool down in between flights for at least 15 or 20 minutes.

5. Buy a temp gun and temp your battery after each flight or use the DJI Go 4 temp reading. Temps should not get any higher than 130f, if they do you run the risk of puffing them, and then you will be looking for a new battery if your Mav made it back home alive. I like to keep my battery temps below 120f, they will last alot longer.

6. Get under a tree. If you stand out in the hot sun, your device might tend to overheat before the Mavic does and that could cause you to lose connection and initiate a RTH. Best to keep your device cool, and keep the sun off your head too.

Hope everyone enjoys the warmer weather, and to those of us who flew every day during the winter, you earned it!

Last edited:
Good post. Doesn't get that hot here very often but sun load is sun load. Wonder why they made it so dark?

I wouldn't worry about the fan motor. Surely brushless DC and should last a little less than forever.

Do the updates with the arms extended. That will get the bottom plate off of the table.

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007