DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sun Hoods - worth a darn?

hkdman

Reactions
So - I was flying my Mavic with an Iphone 6 plus. Couldn't see crap becasue the sun was out. Decided to buy the Rtech sun hood for the Mavic. I figured for $15, what the heck and decided to take a chance. Does anyone use a sun hood? Do they work worth a darn? My sun hood gets delivered today but it is cloudy so won't be able to really try it until the weather gets better - but just curious on other peoples experiences. If I stayed flying my P3 - then I probably would have eventually upgraded to flying with an ipad mini or ipad air - but with the Mavic - I just really don't like the setup for flying with anything other than your phone (to me - to much of a hassle to mount the Ipad to a tripod or get a holder for the Mavic since it tends to cover the entire controller view. Anyway - thoughts on the sun hood? If anyone uses the Rtech one - would love to hear your experiences. Thanks!

I'm torn on sun hoods as well. I ordered the awful DJI one that fits over the antennas. It does nothing. I've used other 3 sided hoods on other controllers and they help some but don't do what I want them to do. The only thing I hear that really does the job is the hoodman but that huge, 2 piece unit (for my ipad air) kind of defeats the portability of the Mavic. I'm really looking forward to the new dji moniter that is coming out. Hopefully it's half as good as they are saying.

I've got several Hoodman hoods, from my Iphone 6+, Ipad Mini 4, and Ipad Air 2. They are a huge help. Its not perfect, but its way better than nothing. I've also got screen protector on mine that cuts glare. With those two items it works well...

I've been using FPV goggles and Litchi which is many times better than a phone or tablet with a hood. I do think there are times I need to actually use my tablet so I will probably get a hoodman even though I wish they would update their design.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flyingthe405