DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunhood and (or) anti reflective optical film ?

Mauri59

Reactions
The ipad-mini 3 isn't that bright, but its reflective screen was definitely the major problem.
A sunhood was useless, since outdoor, the tablet behaved always like a mirror, even in shade.
Instead, a good anti-reflective film, gave me a reasonable improvement, despite the brightness went a little bit down (beeing barely noticeable, must be in the range of 0.5-1dB dB loss).
Unless having the sun directly striking on the display, the sunhood gave a minor benefit, while in shade, even in very bright days, its contribution is close to zero.
Do you agree?

Reactions: NaiveFlight
The ipad-mini 3 isn't that bright, but its reflective screen was definitely the major problem.
A sunhood was useless, since outdoor, the tablet behaved always like a mirror, even in shade.
Instead, a good anti-reflective film, gave me a reasonable improvement, despite the brightness went a little bit down (beeing barely noticeable, must be in the range of 0.5-1dB dB loss).
Unless having the sun directly striking on the display, the sunhood gave a minor benefit, while in shade, even in very bright days, its contribution is close to zero.
Do you agree?
I use a matte screen film and a sun hood and I think it helps a lot.

Read this post and then you'll understand why a standard shade fails, and what you need to do.
Building a better screen sunshade using physics and reflection (and it's free).

Thank You.
Already done it (I had read such TD before my experiments)
Before placing the anti-reflective film, the sun hood was somehow useful, as well as watchin "not straight" to the screen.
With the anti-reflective film, instead, I found a much smaller difference with/without sunhood, at any angle, when I'm in shade.
Obviously, under direct sun, as in summer days mid hours, I mean when sun rays are nearly straight down, the sunhood helps, but the "arrangements" are bulky, unpractical and somehow ridiculous (my opinion).
I find more practical to go (or create) shade, where I found small difference with or without sunhood. I mean operating in an area screened from direct sunight, going close to a wall, or sitting near a rock... or opening a beach umbrella.
The Ipad Mini 2-3 and all devices with reflective screens (glossy) are nice (improve subjective color vividness) in the darkness (rooms), but they are a real pain when outdoors. They are like mirrors, where the internal brightness, is far (much) less than ambient light, at the point that your face or objects behind, is same visible than the image.
The only solution that fixes, is the 19th century one, I mean the fabric... but I don't like at all the idea, because prevents the direct view of the mavic.
Last but not least, the LCD screens contrast is far from beeing outstanding (by itself) and worsens, as soon as the view is not straight.

Thank You.
Already done it (I had read such TD before my experiments)
Before placing the anti-reflective film, the sun hood was somehow useful, as well as watchin "not straight" to the screen.
With the anti-reflective film, instead, I found a much smaller difference with/without sunhood, at any angle, when I'm in shade.
Obviously, under direct sun, as in summer days mid hours, I mean when sun rays are nearly straight down, the sunhood helps, but the "arrangements" are bulky, unpractical and somehow ridiculous (my opinion).
I find more practical to go (or create) shade, where I found small difference with or without sunhood. I mean operating in an area screened from direct sunight, going close to a wall, or sitting near a rock... or opening a beach umbrella.
The Ipad Mini 2-3 and all devices with reflective screens (glossy) are nice (improve subjective color vividness) in the darkness (rooms), but they are a real pain when outdoors. They are like mirrors, where the internal brightness, is far (much) less than ambient light, at the point that your face or objects behind, is same visible than the image.
The only solution that fixes, is the 19th century one, I mean the fabric... but I don't like at all the idea, because prevents the direct view of the mavic.
Last but not least, the LCD screens contrast is far from beeing outstanding (by itself) and worsens, as soon as the view is not straight.
My iPhone screen is like a mirror also. Being tilted up slightly under my three sided flat black hood it is like being in a movie theater in the dark.

Now, since it is 13 inches long and has reading glass lenses at the face end, some might consider it somewhat "bulky" I suppose, but it is lightweight and better than throwing a blanket over my head imo.

I guess, most of the Mavic owners, did buy it because they planned to put their collapsible drone into their (small) trail bags and walk to places where it's impossible to go by car.

Now, since it is 13 inches long and has reading glass lenses at the face end, some might consider it somewhat "bulky" I suppose, but it is lightweight and better than throwing a blanket over my head imo.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Any recommendations for a very good anti glare matt film? Who's the best in its class ?

Any recommendations for a very good anti glare matt film? Who's the best in its class ?
I think the film probably comes from one or two companies and is re branded for sale, I would just look online for one that is inexpensive and has good reviews.

I've read something very positive about the Armor film but 50 usd and utillized by aircraft pilots .
I can't afford that so I ordered 3 Matt films on ebay for about 5 usd for ipad mini 2 . So now waiting delivery.

I just ordered on ebay a set of 3 matt film for 3 euros. Received today and surprisingly they are doing a great job. What a difference...!!! really worth for the money.

Last edited:
I have one matt protective film on my Ipad mini 4 , but the drawback is a less quality of the video feeding , a ,,noise,, as if the ISO is too high...

I have found film of little use other than cutting down on the brightness.

If you really want to see the detail on the screen you need to block out as much light as possible.

I have been using this Hoodman setup on my iPad mini 4 for a couple of years and have not seen anything else more effective.

2016-12-09 10.48.10.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50