DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunshade

I think ill go the injection moulded route...
I dont like the look of these 3d printed versions.

Actually im now debating borrowing a dremel and having a go with the standard one....

I made mine with a dremel in 20 or so mins. Its very easy.

I took a run at the lens hood mod. Pretty easy overall. Just take your time with the layout. This one is sprayed out (on the inside) with plastidip. I'm happy with it.
Got a spare from DJI. I also painted the inside as well. This keeps the outside glossy.

If you don't have a dremel, then use a small metal knife. Heat the knife up and it will cut like butter. Just sand down the rough edges and spray the inside of the dome black. Credits to Homer.
20161225_212625_resized.jpg

20161225_212006_resized.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I've put in a request for my order to be held until the injection molded part is available.

Update: Fstop agreed to send me the injection molded piece. Great customer service!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I made the same request yesterday and they agreed. Very quick to reply.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I have tried a new approach, but I have to make some adjustments/refinements...

That's an interesting approach, and possibly more effective than the cut-out bubble... My only concern is how the "shade" will affect flight characteristic since it's a pretty big surface on such a small craft... Please post a video after you've made the adjustments/refinements...

A friend of mine has the modified dome on his mavic and sent me a video. It is very effective for sun flare. The other thing I noticed is that with it on you no long see the prop shadow when flying fast in sport mode. Not sure if it has been mentioned but looks like 2 issues fixed with 1 modification.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: J-Dub
I like the mod, I don't like the lack of Gimbal protection. Can we leave the lower bubble area clear and not cut out? I don't think we get sun flares from below....

I have tried a new approach, but I have to make some adjustments/refinements...
I like it! Finally someone thinking outside of the box and designing something that doesn't just look like the factory dome with a hole cut out!

I look forward to seeing where you end up with this. If you are looking for suggestions, I'd say that top cover could be just a little shorter and maybe shaped like a slightly rounded baseball cap.

img_1076-jpg.3612

Thats terrific, i'd vote to pull the sides down a bit to avoid prop flashing a bit more but otherwise GREAT !
Also Great Gimbal Protection...

Curious to hear the results.
If you wanna share the STL i'd be willing to test as well :)

Ender

Went the DIY route - used blue masking tape to define lens edging & with a few adjustments here & there got the cut out perfect using a Dremel - sanded it lightly & sprayed it same color as the Mavic Pro - works great but will order a new cover as the rubber protection doesn't stay on since I allowed for the extra 30 degree tilt-up on the gimbal. Used epoxy to strengthen the thinner parts after the cut to ensure no cracking due to vibration during flight. Totally worth the effort if you have the skills. Did I say it works GREAT........?20170112_085429.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851