DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Surveying with Mavic Pro

Domagoj

Reactions
Is anyone using their Mavic Pro for surveys?
I see that there is DroneDeploy which I plan to test some day but it is to expensive if I am just going to use it occasionally and will not make any money from it.

Are there any cheaper or free solutions? I do not need 3D model, elevations etc...
I just want 2D orthophoto image and want to be able to create area which I want to survey like in DroneDeploy...

Have you looked at DJI Groundstation Pro? Free and it should do what you are looking for.

I have used 'Pix4D Capture' for my RGB maps be it 2D or 3D. Was very nervous to let the program fly my Mavic Pro but everything went smoothly. Don't try and set it up yourself though as you might miss steps. Find a good tutorial or manual and follow that.

'Pix4D Capture' uses the 'S' mode so if you ever get into trouble, flick it back to 'P' mode and you can take manual control. I will be trying 'DJI Ground Station Pro' next time just so I have all DJI software.

Reactions: Domagoj
Just back from a test of DroneDeploy.
Kept it simple only a 5 minute run.
Very strange to watch the Mavic take off on a mission.
All went well took all photos kept to preplanned route and returned into my loving care.
Now in process of uploading to dronedeploy site.

I will have to try both this week. DroneDeploy and Pix4D Capture.
Anyone tried both on Android to give some comparison?

I can see that free version of dronedeploy alows 5cm/pixel resolution. Does it mean that if i shoot at lower height, to obtain greater resolution, dronedeploy software will decrease it to 5 cm?

What is the reasonable overlap, height and flight speed to have pictures of optimal quality? Are you using manual photo mode on dronedeploy or Auto?

Just downloaded the app and it looks promising..

question for those that used Dronedeploy..

is it a must to have dronedeploy start flying your Mavic at the start...
or can I like , use DJI go and have my Mavic hover first, then close DJI GO, open up dronedeploy and start surveying?

also, is there any failsafe to regain control of my mavic if for some reason I need a emergency manual control back over my Mavic during
its process of survey?

Thanks

Not sure about the question of the resolution, but I leave the default overlap % unless I am mapping a very homogeneous field in which case I increase the % but that does require significantly more passes if you up the side to side overlap.

I always use DJI Go to set the camera up. I found the Auto setting in DD to overexpose images badly which is a known issue for DD

question for those that used Dronedeploy.. .

I always launch the Mavic using DJI Go, fly to my required height, set focus, WB and exposure etc

Then shut down the DJI Go app and start DD and launch the mission whilst still all in mid air.

To regain control at anytime, just flick the Mavic into Sports mode

Just downloaded the app and it looks promising..

also, is there any failsafe to regain control of my mavic if for some reason I need a emergency manual control back over my Mavic during
its process of survey?

Thanks
Flipping to sport mode should give you immediate control of the Mavic.

Reactions: Cerberus
Not sure about the question of the resolution, but I leave the default overlap % unless I am mapping a very homogeneous field in which case I increase the % but that does require significantly more passes if you up the side to side overlap.

I always use DJI Go to set the camera up. I found the Auto setting in DD to overexpose images badly which is a known issue for DD

Thanks M4RK
Any recommendation for flight speed?

When I trialled mine today I took off in DJI app then changed to DroneDeploy.
Didnt look at any changes in flight speed as I think it automatically controls all that.
Made mistake of not altering the camera settings but as this was all new I think my first attempt went well.
Will play with Camera settings next flight.
As suggested earlier hitting Sport mode will disengage the prog also you can hit pause.
When finished mine RTH without any other input.

I always launch the Mavic using DJI Go, fly to my required height, set focus, WB and exposure etc

Then shut down the DJI Go app and start DD and launch the mission whilst still all in mid air.

To regain control at anytime, just flick the Mavic into Sports mode

Alright. Thankz for your reply

Questions..

I tried to run Dronedeploy this morning...

I flew my Mavic to 50m high using DJI Go 4, then I turn it off and turned on the drone deploy..

I set the flight path and then it say now connect to your drone..
except I don;t see how I am suppose to connect to my drone..

down below it says "don't have a drone, try this test simulator"

Any help will be appreciated..

You could just start it from the Drone Deploy application rather than taking it up to 50m first. I don't think i'd ever trust switching DJI Go app off then starting another.

If it is the same as Pix4D Capture application the take off is normal as if you were flying it yourself. I am pretty sure you can set whether you want it to land on return or hover. My Mavic Pro has never touched the ground :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser