DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Take off and Landing from the top of a Car

Fletcher500

Reactions
Due to a knee injury, I cant bend to pick it up.

I want to take off, and land the quad from the top of my car.

I read somewhere that someone had an issue with the metal within the car messing with the compass, and it went a bit haywire.

Most cars these days are constructed of various compounds of plastics, so I am having trouble believing this.

Thoughts? Safe to do it?

Most cars these days are constructed of various compounds of plastics, so I am having trouble believing this.
If you're sure your car is not made of any magnetic metal, then it'll be fine. I've never heard of such a thing though, so it would be better to err on the side of caution and keep your Mavic 10+ feet away from your car.

Why not take off and land from some type of non-magnetic platform so you don't have to bend down?

Even the frame around the car window and support structure for the roof is metal!
Stay away from any car, period!

I read somewhere that someone had an issue with the metal within the car messing with the compass, and it went a bit haywire.

Thoughts? Safe to do it?
Park bench? Sorry to hear about your knee, I am getting over a tibia plateau fracture and it is a major drag.
Regards,
-d.

Thoughts? Safe to do it?

My sympathies about your lack of manoeuvrability that causes you to ask this question, but in this case I think you are being a trifle optimistic about car construction.
Yes, you are right, they do contain a large amount of plastics, but, they also contain a lot more metal.
There are cars that have fibreglass bodies, but they still contain engines, axles, and suspension made of metal. All have enough mass to affect a sensitive compass, which is what the Mavic has (based purely on the manufacturers advice, and experiences related by users).

However, not all is doom and gloom.
One person has designed a U shaped channel, only a couple of inches high, and about 2 or 2.5 inches long.
The upper edges of the U are narrow enough to fit in the grooves in the heat sink base of the aircraft. The base of the U shape, half way along, has a female thread form, 1/4" BSW, the standard thread used on tripod stands worldwide, which invariably finish in a male stud of this thread.

The bracket can be screwed on to the top of a tripod, at a height to suit you, and that is where the aircraft takes off from.

There are options for landing.
One is hand catching, plenty of people have learnt how to do this, regularly, without losing fingers.
Another is a plastic picnic table, say about 3 feet square, which would do for landing (and also take off).
Another is a litter picker, which might benefit from some adaption of the jaws, to securely grasp the body of the aircraft after it has landed on the ground, and the motors switched off.

Regards.

If I go anywhere near my car I get compass error warning flag up.

I routinely take off from the tonneau cover on my pick-up. I have never had any problems

It will give you a magnetic interference error if there is a problem . I can not take off from the inside of the bed of my pickup truck but I can land there fine . I can not take off or land from the hood of my truck . The one time I tried to land on the hood it got real squirrely a couple inches from touching so I just never tried again . Come to think of it , it may have been the vision sensors getting a reflection that was the problem then instead of the metal .

Thanks for the feedback.

I put in on a bench today, near a steel railing, and you were right, even that was enough to upset the Compass (red).

I then tried a concrete table, and had no issues. Got some nice footage over the ocean today.

One bench I used had some sand, so I put a large beach towel over it. Fine on take off, but on landing, goodbye towel, and it kicked up some sand particles.

Another question - do these landing pads work well, and stay put from the downdraft? Are they weighted? Any recs?

do these landing pads work well, and stay put from the downdraft? Are they weighted? Any recs?
Some come with stakes to secure them and others are large and in charge so they don't move around. You can find some commonly used landing pads here.

I fly off a parking structure where I get interference on the ground, but on my table, it works perfect.
Do you land on that table too? If so, is it pretty sturdy?

Thoughts? Safe to do it?
I've experienced an almost uncontrollable Mavic on both occasions that I've taken off from the roof of my car. I'll never do it again.

Untried taking off on the roof of the car yesterday and had problems with compass and interference. No reason for me to try that again.

I've taken off from the car without problems, but it does give a compass error/magnetic interference error. As soon as I'm a couple feet up the errors go away. Also have landed on top of the car multiple times.

I think you can take of from your car. Just do a compass calibration away from it. You'll get a warning but that disappear as soon as you take off. Worth a try (i've done it before)

Reactions: bvsolutions
I will second hand launch and catch. I just started and is so easy once you get the hang of it (and a neck strap)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots