DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking my drone with me to the US

siwady

Reactions
Hello Peeps,

I'm going from Dubai to California next month for 3 weeks and thinking of taking my Mavic with me.

Is it doable or I might face some hassles with customs?

Also, am I allowed to fly it there if I am not a US citizen?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

If you haven't charged them at all yet, you're probably fine. The batteries ship with a charge that is appropriate for storage.

Hello Peeps,

I'm going from Dubai to California next month for 3 weeks and thinking of taking my Mavic with me.

Is it doable or I might face some hassles with customs?

Also, am I allowed to fly it there if I am not a US citizen?

Sure you can fly in the US.

You need to register. $5. You'll immediately get a reg number you can write on a sticker you can put inside the batt compartment. Print out the PDF of the reg. It might not get mailed to you on time. Only use the FAA site - not the scam sites. As a non-American it is a user registration.

No problem coming into the USA, just be sure you package all the batteries etc appropriately. Most airlines have a written policy online... this one is from United Airlines:

Lithium batteries

Personal devices (except for e-cigarettes and personal vaporizers) installed with a lithium battery of less than 100 watt hours are permitted in carry-on and checked baggage. Loose lithium batteries are not permitted in checked baggage on any United flight. Each spare lithium battery in carry-on baggage must be individually protected to prevent short circuits. To do this, you can place each battery in original retail packaging, place each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch, or insulate the batteries by taping over exposed terminals. Spare batteries must not come in contact with metal objects, such as coins, keys or jewelry, and you should take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting pressure on the battery.

In most cases, up to two larger lithium batteries (more than 100 watt hours, but not exceeding 160 watt hours) are permitted in carry-on baggage if the terminals are properly covered or insulated. If you are traveling with a battery-operated mobility device, please see our Special Travel Needs section.

If carry-on baggage is checked at the gate, any spare lithium batteries must be removed.

I just came back to the U.S., from a trip abroad with the Mavic, no issues at all thru Customs re-entering the country. The whole time I was carrying the Mavic in a little backpack I bought at Walmart, went thru TSA's scanner just fine leaving the country. If anything my Wife's purse made TSA's x-ray machine light up like a Christmas tree.

On the way back boarding the flight back to the States the Mavic when thru the x-ray with no issues, no one ever questioned it.
I have a total of 4 batteries, 1 was installed in the Mavic the whole time, the other 3 were in Lipo Safe bags. Just in case I even brought the purchase receipt but that was not necessary.

Remember the maximum legal altitude you can fly in the U.S., is 400 ft ( 121 meters ). You can also download the FAA's safety app , which provides real-time information about airspace restrictions and other flying requirements based on your GPS location. B4UFLY is available for free download in the App Store for iOS and Google Play store for Android.

Individuals flying for hobby or recreation are strongly encouraged to follow safety guidelines, which include:

• Fly at or below 400 feet and stay away from surrounding obstacles
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Understand airspace restrictions and requirements

Where to Fly

Enjoy your trip to the U.S.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals