DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking of from a moving vehicle problem

I fly all the time from my sailboat. You can't rely on return to home. make sure you never deplete your battery too much. so long as your controller has a GPS location which I'm sure yours will then you can just follow the course line back to your location. very easy. I would not even think of using return to home as your boat will always be moving. just follow your course line back. also you should practice hand launching and retrieving. for that you might need to disable downward vision sensors.

Also there will be times when your subject matter is so bloody exciting that you push it like I did here: think I returned to the boat with 10% but so worth it.

6d26993dc0a7ed0920d992a3731e2670.jpg

This app shows satellites on my wifi only iPad mini 4. Is it wrong?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

thx Willem

So in other words what you say is that first it is possible with practice of course. Secondly what you suggest is not using return to home. That arises another question can the drone be set to when returning to home hover instead of landing?

MacPap

I seem to recall reading the new Phantom 4 pro has this capability. If it detects what it thinks is water it will hover in place instead of landing - which would be ideal in emergency situations. In fact, if I were to do most of my filming from water I would opt for the Phantom 4 Pro instead of the Mavic. It has a slightly longer battery life, it travels faster so is likely to fare better against winds and its easier to hand catch. Of course it does cost more and its bigger. My wife and I are planning in a couple of years on finally cruising offshore for an extended period of time and I'll probably opt for something more like the Phantom 4 Pro just for those reasons. Of course, a couple of years in drone technology who knows - maybe a submersible flying drone. DJI are you listening?

Reactions: MacPap
Also there will be times when your subject matter is so bloody exciting that you push it like I did here: think I returned to the boat with 10% but so worth it.

Amazing footage. I just relized it was there.... great job

Reactions: Willem
... My wife and I are planning in a couple of years on finally cruising offshore for an extended period of time and I'll probably opt for something more like the Phantom 4 Pro just for those reasons. Of course, a couple of years in drone technology who knows - maybe a submersible flying drone. DJI are you listening?
Now you touched a sensitive string.....

Oh oh - which part? The sailing offshore or the submersible drone part?
Both its being a dream to sail around the world.... AND I've been diving since i was 15. So both. Maybe sometime Ill meet you there with the big dolphins. Here (Greece) we have a lot of dolphins but no Orcas.

Last edited:
I wonder can the Mavic be flown entirely on manual? Without ANY intelligent aid?

I wonder can the Mavic be flown entirely on manual? Without ANY intelligent aid?

A manual switch to ATTI mode has been requested by the DJI reps on RC Groups... Not sure when it will be implemented though.... ATTI mode is as "manual" as you can get on DJI aircraft, it will hold it's altitude via barometer, but you will be responsible for everything else... However, I do believe that GPS is still lurking around in the background to make sure you don't fly into a NFZ..

A manual switch to ATTI mode has been requested by the DJI reps on RC Groups... Not sure when it will be implemented though.... ATTI mode is as "manual" as you can get on DJI aircraft, it will hold it's altitude via barometer, but you will be responsible for everything else... However, I do believe that GPS is still lurking around in the background to make sure you don't fly into a NFZ..
That makes sense I mean the GPS part. And maybe it is a good thing cause there are a lot of non responsible people out there.

Just make sure you have an LTE capable iPad mini... I believe that the Wifi only iPad mini does NOT have a built in GPS, so you will NOT be able to reset the home point to the location of the iPad mini if that's the case...

Just make sure that whatever device you use to connect to the controller has a built in GPS chip so you can send the new location to the Mavic when you reset the home point to the device location.
External Blue Tooth GPS devices starting at $100 are available to be paired with any Wifi-only iPad, to use in manually resetting the Home Point to your current location at all times.

Yes Freeky Reeky. I have an iPad mini 4 wifi+cellular. And yes you are right. Only WiFi iPads do not have a GPS unit since that is goes together with the cellular chip. Stupid as it may be it is so.
It's not as stupid as you think. The cellular antenna doubles as use for GPS reception.

Reactions: MacPap
WiFi only iPad Mini 4 has GPS or it wouldn't find your location on Google Earth. Go to the area you will be flying in on DJI GO/ Litchi awhile still at home and cache the area in iPad Mini's memory before going there.

Not true. When connected to Wifi, the Google Earth location is not based upon GPS but upon the location of known Wifi.

Hmm. Well, researched! Even so, map caching should still work (someone did a video on the subject). I'll try when mine arrives!!

Map caching has nothing to do with the GPS needed to reset the Home Point. No GPS, no resetting Home Point. Also, you cannot use the GPS in a phone used as a HotSpot for live map downloading with a wifi only iPad, but you could use the phone itself as your tablet for GPS.

Would you be able to set the home point at your house, go fly not too far away, and have return to the house instead of where you actually are? (Say in case someone decided they wanted to have your Mavic instead of you, you could send it back to the house!)

Every time you rearm the motors, the aircraft resets it's Home Point. However, you could fly from somewhere away from your house to your house, reset the Home Point to the Aircraft location, while still in the air, and then fly anywhere else from there, and it would fly back to your home with RTH. Great stealth move to send the drone home, if the PoPo show up, while you are standing there with a transmitter. Just press RTH and turn it off. When they leave, go home, and your drone will be waiting for you there.Thumbswayup:p

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore