DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking off from 520m

Neto

Reactions
Is it right to assume that if I take off from the top of a mountain of 520m and fly down, I won't be able to return home, since Mavic's height limit is 500m?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: RollingRob
The altitude is only limited to 500 meters above the takeoff point. When flying below the takeoff point, the altitude will be a negative value. If RTH is initiated at that point, the Mavic will ascend back up to 0 meters and then up to the set RTH altitude.

Wrong. Mavic is limited to 500m higher than where you took off!
If you take off from a 520m mountain (above sea) you will be able to climb to 1020m above sea.

Sent from my A0001 using MavicPilots mobile app

Got it.
But considering the air density there should be a limit altitude (above sea level) where it is impossible to fly, right? if the Mavic limit is 500m above ground, I guess this altitude limit shouldn't be very high...Am I wrong?

Got it.
But considering the air density there should be a limit altitude (above sea level) where it is impossible to fly, right? if the Mavic limit is 500m above ground, I guess this altitude limit shouldn't be very high...Am I wrong?

Here is your answer:
46b081e25362e00de43bb7fadf92bd90.jpg

Found in the specs

The 500m altitude limit above the home point is not a technical limit but a security limit to avoid conflicts with civil aviation. I guess the Mavic will also handle 3000m above sealevel or even more.

As above surface limit is 5000 M above sea level

It's so easy do understand!

Mavic Altitude limit:

Physical limit: 5000m above sea
Software limit: 500m above where you took off.

Check this guy flying at 4267m (14000ft):

When I was crewing and flying left seat in 'Fling-Wings it was called running out of blade.(where you can no longer sustain a hover) That point where full pitch was not enough to provide positive lift in the less dense atmosphere. This altitude changes depending on the loaded weight of the A/C, ambient air temp, (OAT) and barometric pressure. You CAN fly above this altitude in some rotary wing A/C, those equipped with Horizontal stabilizers to provide vertical lift in conjunction with forward speed (more speed = more lift) they just can't hover or land at that altitude. I doubt that the Mavic could reach the stated 5000 meter serviceable ceiling from any lower altitude before running out of power, due to the motors drawing more and more power to maintain lift, until they were at full throttle just to maintain a hover, although if you are going to try do it in the winter when the air is denser.

Who will try to hike up to 5000m peak and launch his Mavic to see what happen ? Please.... any volunteer? LOL :p

Reactions: BlackCoffee
When I was crewing and flying left seat in 'Fling-Wings it was called running out of blade.(where you can no longer sustain a hover) That point where full pitch was not enough to provide positive lift in the less dense atmosphere. This altitude changes depending on the loaded weight of the A/C, ambient air temp, (OAT) and barometric pressure. You CAN fly above this altitude in some rotary wing A/C, those equipped with Horizontal stabilizers to provide vertical lift in conjunction with forward speed (more speed = more lift) they just can't hover or land at that altitude. I doubt that the Mavic could reach the stated 5000 meter serviceable ceiling from any lower altitude before running out of power, due to the motors drawing more and more power to maintain lift, until they were at full throttle just to maintain a hover, although if you are going to try do it in the winter when the air is denser.
I think it was back in 2005 that a Eurocopter AStar B-3 landed on Mt. Everest 29,034 ft. Most helicopters are limited because of power, the higher you climb the less dense the air becomes thus to maintain altitude you must pull in more collective pitch which increase drag which takes more power... you get the picture.

Service ceiling's are set by manufacture test pilots following industry guidelines, usually when the aircraft can no longer climb. At that kind of altitude you can't hover without getting into settling with power (where you are in a column of turbulent air caused by you rotar wash) and you fall like a rock.

Hobby drones for the most part have electric motors and fixed pitch blades so it's mostly the thin air that determines their service ceiling. A ceiling of 16,404 ft for the Mavic is impressive.

I live in Mexico city, up to 3000 meters above sea level, and no problem going UP, the problem is going DOWN....
because of VRS (vortex ring state) which is basically a whirpool where the drone drops like a rock...
I always descend on 50% forward, and 50% down....
I crashed 2 or 3 times like that on the phantom 2, but none on the 3, 4 or on the mavic.... I dont want to figure out if they control better fast descend at high altitudes

Who will try to hike up to 5000m peak and launch his Mavic to see what happen ? Please.... any volunteer? LOL :p
My house is at 7,800 ft and I am only 9 miles for Mt. Shavano which is 14, 232 ft. (4,338 meters) Come on out I will show you where the trail head is.

Hobby drones for the most part have electric motors and fixed pitch blades so it's mostly the thin air that determines their service ceiling. A ceiling of 16,404 ft for the Mavic is impressive.
I thought that serviceable ceiling was impressive also, just wondering how accurate it is, you sure are not going to get 27 minutes flight time out of a battery trying to get to that altitude. I am at only 150' so that would be some climb out. Hard to figure the time needed as the climb rate would decline with altitude gain, be interesting in an academic way, I sure am not risking my Mavic trying it.

Have you guys seen this video....any idea how he bypassed the height lock?
wasnt there something about using the RTH and then cancelling it out while increasing the altitude? (obviously not recommended)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60