DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking pictures when in Video mode

SRJ_Mavic_PRO

Reactions
So I've had my Mavic Pro for less than a week and I am seeing a lot of differences between it and the P4P which I have only had for about 5 weeks. Today I went out to play around in the back yard with the Mavic and was in Video mode and recording. I wanted to snap a few pictures while record and could not. I can do this on the P4P so my question is why can't I do it in the Mav? Is that just the way it is or did I miss a setting in the setup. The other thing that I can't do is when shooting in D-Log I don't have the lil box to change the screen to the actual colors I am shooting, sorry I forget the name of this new feature. Again its in the P4P but not the lil guy.

Thanks,
S

So then the answer is no with the Mavic....Sheesh add another item to the list of things it can't do compared to the Phantom.... Ugggggg

Reactions: youngrob
Hasn't really been a problem for me. Stop, snap, snap, start. I usually snap in portrait mode so I would want to stop the camera from filming vertical video anyway.

Portrait mode? Sheesh, add another item to the list of things Phantom can't do compared to the Mavic...

Do we know if this is this a hardware limitation? Can Litchi or other apps take pics while in video mode?

Although this ability is not important to some, it is important to those trying to do any aerial photography, as any resulting merged video ends up being "jerky" as a result of having to stitch videos together.

Thanks.

I wish it did this as well. While I know I can stop the video and restart it, it's better to have an uninterrupted video but just grab some snaps along the way when you see something worthy.

Of course, if you are shooting in 4K you can take great frame grabs from post production, but it'd be easier to have the full res photos, in your phone, at your disposal, immediately.

The GoPro app does the frame grabs very well. Does anyone know if the DJI app does this? With the GP Capture app you can link to your camera via wifi and scroll through a video. When you find a scene to frame grab you hit a button, and it grabs and excellent quality snapshot for you. If you are shooting in 4K, nobody can tell it is from video and you can still crop and adjust quite a bit. Maybe the DJi app does this?

Do we know if this is this a hardware limitation? Can Litchi or other apps take pics while in video mode?

Although this ability is not important to some, it is important to those trying to do any aerial photography, as any resulting merged video ends up being "jerky" as a result of having to stitch videos together
Litchi cannot do this. Its hardware and firmware driven.

Best way to work around this is to take a still from the video after the fact.

Ok total newbie question.... How do you take a still from a video?
Stop laughing already!! :)
Most video editors provide an option to capture a still frame from the video at any point. A quick check of the help on whatever software you use should show you how to do this.

Reactions: jleglen
Hasn't really been a problem for me. Stop, snap, snap, start. I usually snap in portrait mode so I would want to stop the camera from filming vertical video anyway.

Portrait mode? Sheesh, add another item to the list of things Phantom can't do compared to the Mavic...

My wife always shoots vertical video on her phone, I always try to correct her, but she won't listen.
I'm going to show her this video, I couldn't have it done it better. Very amusing!
Thank you.

My wife always shoots vertical video on her phone, I always try to correct her, but she won't listen.
I'm going to show her this video, I couldn't have it done it better. Very amusing!
Thank you.

I love that video! Just saved it to my FB page. I actually see that a lot from cell phone video mostly.

Had to share this straight to Facebook as a public post. Love it!

I'm new to the Mavic Pro also, do I need to STOP recording video BEFORE I can take stills?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike