DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thailand Epic Vacation

Which islands did you visit?
Not all my island footage turned out super awesome so unfortunately I didn't include it in the video but these are the islands/beaches we sailed to. I gotta say, landing a drone on a catamaran is no easy task!!!

Islands visited:
Koh Hong
Koh Raya Ring
Koh Phanak
Koh Rai
Koh Pak Bia
Koh Hong
Koh Poda
Koh Khom
Railey Bay
Koh Phi Phi Don/Le
Koh Khai Nai
Koh Nakha Noi

Reactions: Former Member
Yours is also my idea of a dream vacation. Ive been to some of those islands, and they are some of my favorite places on earth, plus Koh Samui, Koh Phangan (full moon party), Koh Tao.

Reactions: cocarp
Awesome video!!!

I have a question for really any of you especially now that I have seen this video.... I am looking into laws / enforcement of said laws for the following areas: Chaing Mai, Krabi, Koh Samui & Koh Tao.
I will be there in a week for a few weeks and wanted to see if I would have any trouble or if any of you have any advice?

(I am tall and white so I will stick out if that helps for any context lol)

Awesome video!!!

I have a question for really any of you especially now that I have seen this video.... I am looking into laws / enforcement of said laws for the following areas: Chaing Mai, Krabi, Koh Samui & Koh Tao.
I will be there in a week for a few weeks and wanted to see if I would have any trouble or if any of you have any advice?

(I am tall and white so I will stick out if that helps for any context lol)
Thanks for watching! It was so much fun to make and was a great addition to the overall vacation. I am Tall, FAT, and white. ahaha Law wise, I am pretty sure I broke a few of them. Over the national parks they are VERY/EXREMELY anti-drone, so a lot of the shots of the National Parks I launched from our boat. Once the drone is up in the air it's pretty had to find the person flying it so launch it fast and get it out where people can't hear it and you should be fine. I didn't fly it much over my hotels because people just want to relax and not have a drone buzzing over their heads. Find a nice spot to launch away from people and they wont even notice you are flying it. As long as you are using common sense you wont get anything more than angry thai man come yell at you. Just say "Kawh Toe" (sorry). Keep a couple thousand baht on you just in case though ;)

Thanks for watching! It was so much fun to make and was a great addition to the overall vacation. I am Tall, FAT, and white. ahaha Law wise, I am pretty sure I broke a few of them. Over the national parks they are VERY/EXREMELY anti-drone, so a lot of the shots of the National Parks I launched from our boat. Once the drone is up in the air it's pretty had to find the person flying it so launch it fast and get it out where people can't hear it and you should be fine. I didn't fly it much over my hotels because people just want to relax and not have a drone buzzing over their heads. Find a nice spot to launch away from people and they wont even notice you are flying it. As long as you are using common sense you wont get anything more than angry thai man come yell at you. Just say "Kawh Toe" (sorry). Keep a couple thousand baht on you just in case though ;)

Hahaha I love it! Thanks for that advice for sure. As far as travel to Thailand (and within if you took any flights) did you have any issues with security? (batteries and/or drone wise)

Awesome video. I'll be doing the same trio tomorrow and it even looks like I'll be hiring the same catamaran. So a few questions if I may. Did u have to calibrate the compass? If so how did u do it on the boat? Any tips to launch from a cat? Any pitfalls you think i might encounter? I got pool noodles under mine just in case.

I got a couple looks but just smile and tell them its a "flying camera". No issues with fully charged batteries or anything. I flew Seattle to Japan to Bangkok and then Bangkok to Phuket and Phuket to South Korea back to Seattle. A lot of security check points and all I got were a few funny looks until I explained what it was. I also had Amazon.com : DJI Mavic Backpack IP67 Waterproof with Waterproof Zippers and Foam Hard Inlay, Black, Koozam Products : Camera & Photo the backpack which I could easily unzip, open up and go through security.

Awesome video. I'll be doing the same trio tomorrow and it even looks like I'll be hiring the same catamaran. So a few questions if I may. Did u have to calibrate the compass? If so how did u do it on the boat? Any tips to launch from a cat? Any pitfalls you think i might encounter? I got pool noodles under mine just in case.
Thanks! The catamaran was awesome, totally worth the money. I did not have to calibrate my drone once while in Thailand. My buddy did though, his drone also flew away on him once back stateside. I've actually never had to calibrate it now that I think about it.
Launching from the cat is easy, landing is a little more stressful since the boat is constantly moving with the current/waves. I recommend disabling the landing assist. Having to look down and swipe to initiate the landing process was a big problem, then throw in waves and current... phew. I probably don't have to say this by make sure your noodles aren't blocking the sensors under the drone ;)

Thanks for the tips. I was advised to turn off all the sensors below ie vision and sonar. And I hope to hand catch it. Hope to works out... wish me luck.

Great video. Were the elephants in the fields in the beginning wild or were they in an enclosure of some type?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji