DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Emotional Journey of the Early Adopter

gavinski

Reactions
No matter if it is a new phone or a new drone, there are ten very predictable phases that we go through as early adopters. Here they are:

Phase 1: Curiosity.
This is the Meerkat Moment. “I Just heard that there is going to be a new gizmo!!!” When one of the tribe gets wind of a crazy new toy that’s gonna change the world. Everyone sticks their head up and scans the horizon for evidence.

Phase 2: Obsession.
The Rumor Mill kicks into full gear. Obsessing over blurry photos of parts and packaging from a factory in Shenzhen, or some crazy patent filing drawing or submission to the FCC or FAA. No detail is too small or too trivial. Extrapolation is taken to new heights.

Phase 3: Euphoria.
The Teaser Video is released. The first official acknowledgment from the company that yes, my children: It. Is. Real. It is kind of vague and suggestive and every single frame is analyzed for clues.

Phase 4: Lust.
The Reveal. A breathless product announcement that borrows heavily from the master of spin, Steve Jobs. The crowd and the millions tuning in live lap it up. The blogs go crazy. People can barely contain themselves.

Phase 5: Hysteria.
The Feeding Frenzy begins. With scant details, people rush to throw their hard earned money at a company with a track record of screwing up product launches and disappointing customers. Oh, what a short memory we have!

Phase 5: Unbearable Anticipation.
OMG! OMG! OMG! I Can’t wait! Online forums fill up with new threads to track shipments. Everyone asks questions about specs, prices, and accessories. Plans are made around The Delivery Date. Weddings are pushed out, and schedules are cleared. This is going to be AWESOME!

Phase 8: Indignation
The Temper Tantrum ensues, inevitably. When it becomes clear that there has been a “slight delay” with the roll out, the righteous tech enthusiast jumps on their high horse, vowing to cancel their order. ‘That’ll show ‘em!!!” they shout to no one in particular.

Phase 9: Remorse
I guess I'll go with Plan B. The moment when our enthusiast realizes they might have been a little premature placing their faith in the empty promises of a tech company that shows greater allegiance to their stock holders, than to their customers.

Phase 10: Acceptance
I am but a helpless consumer. I know that I can stomp my feet all I want, but I really I have no other option. I know I’ll be buying their product in the end. I know I have to just be patient.

And for the record, I have placed an order for a Mavic, and I am already at phase 10.

Well put Gavinski.... I, unfortunately have been through this many times before with DJI.... so I've managed to contain myself to somewhere in your Phase 6 or 7 (missing from your list?).

I'll give it another week or two until I allow myself to get to Phase 8....

Reactions: gavinski
This post is a TOP one. Well written.TU
Every aspect is mentioned here. Congrats for reminding everyone the main purpose of being here at this forum: buying the Mavic!

Yep people are beginning to loose their heads a little now.

Chill out, it's delayed, it WILL come and it WILL be worth it.

No matter if it is a new phone or a new drone, there are ten very predictable phases that we go through as early adopters. Here they are:

Phase 1: Curiosity.
This is the Meerkat Moment. “I Just heard that there is going to be a new gizmo!!!” When one of the tribe gets wind of a crazy new toy that’s gonna change the world. Everyone sticks their head up and scans the horizon for evidence.

Phase 2: Obsession.
The Rumor Mill kicks into full gear. Obsessing over blurry photos of parts and packaging from a factory in Shenzhen, or some crazy patent filing drawing or submission to the FCC or FAA. No detail is too small or too trivial. Extrapolation is taken to new heights.

Phase 3: Euphoria.
The Teaser Video is released. The first official acknowledgment from the company that yes, my children: It. Is. Real. It is kind of vague and suggestive and every single frame is analyzed for clues.

Phase 4: Lust.
The Reveal. A breathless product announcement that borrows heavily from the master of spin, Steve Jobs. The crowd and the millions tuning in live lap it up. The blogs go crazy. People can barely contain themselves.

Phase 5: Hysteria.
The Feeding Frenzy begins. With scant details, people rush to throw their hard earned money at a company with a track record of screwing up product launches and disappointing customers. Oh, what a short memory we have!

Phase 5: Unbearable Anticipation.
OMG! OMG! OMG! I Can’t wait! Online forums fill up with new threads to track shipments. Everyone asks questions about specs, prices, and accessories. Plans are made around The Delivery Date. Weddings are pushed out, and schedules are cleared. This is going to be AWESOME!

Phase 8: Indignation
The Temper Tantrum ensues, inevitably. When it becomes clear that there has been a “slight delay” with the roll out, the righteous tech enthusiast jumps on their high horse, vowing to cancel their order. ‘That’ll show ‘em!!!” they shout to no one in particular.

Phase 9: Remorse
I guess I'll go with Plan B. The moment when our enthusiast realizes they might have been a little premature placing their faith in the empty promises of a tech company that shows greater allegiance to their stock holders, than to their customers.

Phase 10: Acceptance
I am but a helpless consumer. I know that I can stomp my feet all I want, but I really I have no other option. I know I’ll be buying their product in the end. I know I have to just be patient.

And for the record, I have placed an order for a Mavic, and I am already at phase 10.
This can used as the template for any wildly successful product launch.

Ha...love the Meerkat metaphor; perfect imagery. BTW all of this read in my head with an Austrian accent :D

...also:

11. Salvation; finally, gloriously receive <gizmo>, tear into lavish packaging, revel in new car smell, fumble batteries into chargers, grab smart devices to download accompanying apps and–

Wait what's this? New <gizmo>?

12. (See Step 1. above)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242