DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The mavic was tiny compared to Eagles

Clever. Clever editing, clever Eagles. Poor ducks. Nature at its best, caught with a Mavic. I wonder if wildlife photographers are aware of this (obviously) learnt behaviour?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Awesome! Good job staying out of their way also. Most would be tempted to get closer for a better shot. Curious how did you notice it? Just up in the air and said hey what are they doing, or saw it initially and threw the drone up to capture it.

Great video of Mother Nature at work. Thanks.
I would have been nervous around those huge birds. Glad they didn't come after you.

Really an awesome video of nature and its creatures.

Wow! So many things about this video are stunning...

1) It proves the value of 4K - even for people who don't have 4K monitors. Had you filmed this in 1080P, I'm guessing the digital zoom would have been much less useful
2) Mother nature relies on teamwork
3) The eagles showed an incredible level of coordination and precision - giving the duck less than a second to catch its breath most times

This is National Geographic caliber video. Kudos!

Well thanks for all the great feedback. As you see the light was superbright that day, so the footage is quite overexposed ( i ordered lens filters after this) .
And as you also see the water was still that day so any movement out quickly dragged my attention, after a look in some binoculars i soon realized what was happening and luckily my mavic was set up in minutes, but all the time felt like ages and i was sure to miss it. But they just kept on and on so i had almost 10 minutes of footage before the event was over.
I was amazed myself to see how much cropping the 4K material could handle and still maintain decent quality, very happy for that.
I`m not sure if the material is NatGeo worthy but it made it to the news here in Norway :)
Another note: if you watch closely at 1:32 to the left some other bird flying higher over the image takes a **** in the water so it comes flying into the frame, not sure what that could be but maybe the other duck arriving soon after.

D`amn nature, YOU SCARY!

I love a good drone video with a subject and not just pretty sights.

(takes a drone forum to learn that the word 'd-a-m-n' is a curseword)

Very nice video, enjoyed it! Good job with the digital zoom.

As you see the light was superbright that day, so the footage is quite overexposed ( i ordered lens filters after this)

Note that a filter won't change anything in this case. You'll dim the light, the shutter speed will compensate, and the image will look the same. The reason is the high contrast between the dark water and the bright snow. The camera's autoexposure aims for medium gray, which in this case is too bright for the dynamic range of the sensor, and the higlights get blown out.

You can always adjust the exposure with the right dial on the front of the controller. Use the histogram feature, and there is also a feature that highlights overexposed areas in the preview image with diagonal stripes. If you use that, it will be obvious when exposure compensation is needed. The water may become quite dark then, but that isn't the problem in this scene, is it?

Very nice video, enjoyed it! Good job with the digital zoom.

Note that a filter won't change anything in this case. You'll dim the light, the shutter speed will compensate, and the image will look the same. The reason is the high contrast between the dark water and the bright snow. The camera's autoexposure aims for medium gray, which in this case is too bright for the dynamic range of the sensor, and the higlights get blown out.

You can always adjust the exposure with the right dial on the front of the controller. Use the histogram feature, and there is also a feature that highlights overexposed areas in the preview image with diagonal stripes. If you use that, it will be obvious when exposure compensation is needed. The water may become quite dark then, but that isn't the problem in this scene, is it?

Thank you for the tips, im getting a 8,4" pad also so hopefully a bigger screen makes it easier to see how to make a better image. As you know, capturing what happened came first, and not loosing the drone etc , checking for correct settings didnt really cross my mind, i just hated myself later when reviewing the footage for not going a bit closer and trying to adjust the exposure. Lesson learnt for next time if there ever will be :)

Reactions: kricke_de
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett