DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The perfect Nvidia Shield setup for £38 ($50)?

Muzza80

Reactions
Hi all,
Only had my Mavic a couple of weeks but absoloutely love it.

I was previously using my old iPhone 6, whilst it's good for portability, it's too small for serious use in my opinion so I purchased a Nvidia Shield K1 tablet and a few accessories from Amazon and I think I've cracked the perfect setup (for me at least) and wanted to share it as I see many people struggling with a decent Shield mount/shade/controller conbination.

Key things for me:
  • Must be a secure fit
  • Muse be able to see the RC screen clearly
  • Must be fully shaded for use in bright conditions
  • Must allow full access to the usb and HDMI ports
  • Must fold down to reasonably compact size for transport
  • Must not cost a fortune

So here it is:

IMG_20170608_113544212_zpspemaogdq.jpg~original

IMG_20170608_113634281_zps7l71ux0s.jpg~original

IMG_20170608_113639605_zpsv2sm0wcz.jpg~original

And here's it packed down:

IMG_20170608_120648489_zps6mfiqi1i.jpg~original

Now dont get me wrong, for "chuck it in the DJI bag and go" portability then the iPhone still has it's place and I'll not be getting rid of it but 80% of my filming will be done with more planning and I'll have the space in another bag to carry the shield, mount and hood but for a proper "shoot" I think this will be a hard setup to better, beauty of course is that you can of course plug in FPV goggles into the HDMI out of the Shield (which no other tablet I'm aware of has)

There's a fair weight to the Shield but actually with this mount it rests nicely on your forearms if you position the mount upsides down in the RC (which you need to to gain full view of the RC) so it works well (for me anyway) From a seated position if can rest nicely on your stomach.

Here's what I purchased:

L168 Hood by PGYTech
Hensych Remote Controller Phone Monitor Sun hood: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Mavic Aluminium Tablet Holder (SkyReat and HobbyTiger brands seem to be listed but both the same mount)
DJI Mavic Pro Tablet Holder Stand HOBBYTIGER Aluminum-Alloy Mavic Remote Controller Accessories Foldable 4-12 Inch Phone Ipad Bracket Mount: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

Anyway, hope this is useful.

Regards.

I have the same setup Nvidia K1-16gig and a Nvidia K1-32gig-LTE but with a ram mount and a Hoodman sun shade

Reactions: Muzza80
I have similar setup with out the sun sheild. Thanks for your Links to the stuff. Gonna order the sheild for sure!

Hi all,
Only had my Mavic a couple of weeks but absoloutely love it.

I was previously using my old iPhone 6, whilst it's good for portability, it's too small for serious use in my opinion so I purchased a Nvidia Shield K1 tablet and a few accessories from Amazon and I think I've cracked the perfect setup (for me at least) and wanted to share it as I see many people struggling with a decent Shield mount/shade/controller conbination.

Key things for me:
  • Must be a secure fit
  • Muse be able to see the RC screen clearly
  • Must be fully shaded for use in bright conditions
  • Must allow full access to the usb and HDMI ports
  • Must fold down to reasonably compact size for transport
  • Must not cost a fortune

So here it is:

IMG_20170608_113544212_zpspemaogdq.jpg~original

IMG_20170608_113634281_zps7l71ux0s.jpg~original

IMG_20170608_113639605_zpsv2sm0wcz.jpg~original

And here's it packed down:

IMG_20170608_120648489_zps6mfiqi1i.jpg~original

Now dont get me wrong, for "chuck it in the DJI bag and go" portability then the iPhone still has it's place and I'll not be getting rid of it but 80% of my filming will be done with more planning and I'll have the space in another bag to carry the shield, mount and hood but for a proper "shoot" I think this will be a hard setup to better, beauty of course is that you can of course plug in FPV goggles into the HDMI out of the Shield (which no other tablet I'm aware of has)

There's a fair weight to the Shield but actually with this mount it rests nicely on your forearms if you position the mount upsides down in the RC (which you need to to gain full view of the RC) so it works well (for me anyway) From a seated position if can rest nicely on your stomach.

Here's what I purchased:

L168 Hood by PGYTech

Mavic Aluminium Tablet Holder (SkyReat and HobbyTiger brands seem to be listed but both the same mount)
DJI Mavic Pro Tablet Holder Stand HOBBYTIGER Aluminum-Alloy Mavic Remote Controller Accessories Foldable 4-12 Inch Phone Ipad Bracket Mount: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

Regards.
I just ordered the sun sheild and the tablet holder thanks to you. My current holder does not fold flat. It's Pretty neat that the one you use has a gimbal ball that splits in half and folds down very flat. Never saw that before![emoji38]

I just ordered the sun sheild and the tablet holder thanks to you. My current holder does not fold flat. It's Pretty neat that the one you use has a gimbal ball that splits in half and folds down very flat. Never saw that before![emoji38]

Glad it was useful dude, yeah its a neat design for sure!

The K1 is a hefty old tab but I've had them all (work in ms/apple/linux desktop support and test/issue/fix mobile devices daily ), the Shield is a cracking tablet, especially for what we are using them for, not had a single issue myself but mine is a clean install dedicated device, not hooked up to goggles yet but gonna when I'm back from holiday in 2 weeks. Let me know your thoughts when the bits arrive!

I already have the PGYTech sun shade, and a tablet holder, but I ordered the one you show...it folds flat, so it will be easier to transport, and it looks like it is mostly metal. I have been flying with 3d printed holders for the Shield, and they work great...just a little cumbersome to connect to the controller. This is a much better solution.
Thanks for posting!!

Here's what I purchased:

L168 Hood by PGYTech

Regards.
Could you estimate whether that hood would fit my slightly-smaller Nexus 7 (2013), which measures 4.5" x 8" (114mm x 203mm)? Can't seem to get an answer from Amazon buyers so far.
The Nexus is fairly close to your Shield, but I can't tell if those "rubber bands" on the sides would be too loose for a narrower-width tablet.

Thank you.

I have your exact setup literally! And I Love it!
Much better then using a Phone. In my opinion. Just bought the remote release, cant wait to try it! Happy Droneing!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird