DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The secret to real 28 minute flights discovered

Mavic Maniac

Reactions
I flew three batteries this afternoon and got just under 1 1/2 hours of flight time in. It seemed like forever. The secret... Fixed Wing Mode. Yes, FWM. Flying in calm conditions I took the Mavic up to a hundred feet or so and locked in FWM at about 8mph. I'm still surprised how much fun this mode is and I got some great video and pics. I did speed up to as much as 15mph frequently and I increased and decreased altitude as well. I'd love to hear if anyone else has gone for extra fight time in our very cool new flight mode.

Indeed, regarding battery endurance fly on one direction at a cruise speed is better than hovering. (trying to remember where I read this)

Reactions: garben
I flew three batteries this afternoon and got just under 1 1/2 hours of flight time in. It seemed like forever. The secret... Fixed Wing Mode. Yes, FWM. Flying in calm conditions I took the Mavic up to a hundred feet or so and locked in FWM at about 8mph. I'm still surprised how much fun this mode is and I got some great video and pics. I did speed up to as much as 15mph frequently and I increased and decreased altitude as well. I'd love to hear if anyone else has gone for extra fight time in our very cool new flight mode.
Yes, I have tested it myself it very energy efficient. Its good as a cruise mode to go back and forth from and to a location you want to actually capture. But I dont like using it as I lose gimbal control, that is something that they should nt have restrcted

That's a great idea, it allows a constant forward flight.

This has been covered extensively, sorry if this is hijack. The mavic indeed is designed to fly forward more efficiently than hover. That is why it is not symmetrical front to back. Someone has posted previously what the most efficient forward speed is. This is when all motors rotate at the same rpm. I think about 12mph.

Yes, I have tested it myself it very energy efficient. Its good as a cruise mode to go back and forth from and to a location you want to actually capture. But I dont like using it as I lose gimbal control, that is something that they should nt have restrcted
When flying with this mode the quad actually don't point its nose up and down, this fpv sensation is caused by the gimbal movement. That's why you have no control over the gimbal.

That's a great idea, it allows a constant forward flight.

This has been covered extensively, sorry if this is hijack. The mavic indeed is designed to fly forward more efficiently than hover. That is why it is not symmetrical front to back. Someone has posted previously what the most efficient forward speed is. This is when all motors rotate at the same rpm. I think about 12mph.

Rotary aircraft in general are more efficient when moving forward as opposed to a hover. It's not just a Mavic design thing.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
It's called transnational lift. It's more noticeable in helicopter air frames because the rotor blades are an actual airfoil / wing - but is still evident in quad rotors. That's why some overloaded helicopters will perform a take off run to bring the speed up and climb. It generates more lift and is a lot safer with the forward speed. Fuel will burn down over the flight and allow for a normal vertical landing.

There is natural lift being generated as forward air is forced over the Mavic's rotors. Similar to how a fixed wing generates lift from it's wings.

WOW ! This is amazing.....great skill ! Were you using goggles ?

Last edited:
Yes but the view from goggles is nowhere near as good as what you see from your mavic lol...if you watch the video in 360 that's pretty close to the view in the goggles lol

Indeed, regarding battery endurance fly on one direction at a cruise speed is better than hovering. (trying to remember where I read this)

Probably on the DJI website:

Max Flight Time 27 minutes (0 wind at a consistent 15.5 mph (25 kph))
Max Hovering Time 24 minutes (0 wind)
Overall Flight Time 21 minutes ( In normal flight, 15% remaining battery level )

Probably on the DJI website:

Max Flight Time 27 minutes (0 wind at a consistent 15.5 mph (25 kph))
Max Hovering Time 24 minutes (0 wind)
Overall Flight Time 21 minutes ( In normal flight, 15% remaining battery level )
My average is 20 minutes...i don't bother with sport mode unless I got a strong head wind.

Because i only get 3.20 seconds on my 250 quad....28 minutes would feel like all day :D

My Mavic wants to know where it can get the same under-acid upgrade, please? O:)

It's called transnational lift. It's more noticeable in helicopter air frames because the rotor blades are an actual airfoil / wing - but is still evident in quad rotors. That's why some overloaded helicopters will perform a take off run to bring the speed up and climb. It generates more lift and is a lot safer with the forward speed. Fuel will burn down over the flight and allow for a normal vertical landing.

There is natural lift being generated as forward air is forced over the Mavic's rotors. Similar to how a fixed wing generates lift from it's wings.
I think the same principle applies to normally-loaded helicopters. In the early '80s I chartered one to film the opening sequence to Glasgow's new cable TV channel. The idea was to reveal the city by lifting up over the hills to the north. The pilot explained that he would fly south at full speed towards the hills in order to increase the rate of ascent for the big reveal. I was hanging out of the side of the helicopter in a harness, with my feet dangling below the skid. We flew so close to the top of the hill that my feet hit the tall grass at around 100mph just as we lifted up - ruining the shot. You can imagine I was therefore a little apprehensive about going for take two, but we eventually got the shot. How much easier with a Mavic!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest