DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The Statue of Liberty with my Mavic

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FAA hasn't issued a waiver since January. So, they won't have time to track down one of thousands of videos they don't like. The Park Rangers won't issue a permit to anyone without a yearly million dollar insurance policy with the NPS added as an additional covered party (at your expense). Same story with them...

I don't condone it- but It's no wonder people are just doing a quick video - that by the time the "drone police" hear about it - months or years will pass. If the FAA or Rangers are really worried about drones - they will make it at least possible to get permission for the guys that want to follow the rules. At this point, it's **** near impossible to even get permission, regardless of how much planning you put effort into. So many are saying "screw it" - and taking their chances.

I'm all about rule following - but the gov't is pathetic. As far as drones are concerned - their discriminating against a type of remote aircraft that's been around for many many years in various forms. I'm guessing that the infancy of the regulation is going to suck for a couple years to come. But eventually our voices will be heard. Until then, unanswered NPS/FAA emails, phone calls, permits and waivers will be the story.

I fly manned aircraft and drones - so I get the politics of what's going on. But the government is going about this with no common sense at all. When flying manned aircraft, I'm limited to 500' - 1000' AGL. When I'm driving the drone, it's 400' (although I rarely go above 200). So, in many places, with just a radio call - I can buzz around at 500' above any person or object in a sparse area (1000' in congested areas). They are criminalizing a mostly innocent hobby. As far as this Statue of Liberty video, it's stunning. But it was the operator's personal choice. He has many rationalization points backing up his choice. A lot is interpretation of very vague and blurred lines of regulations (govt's fault). One thing I do know is that we, as a community, must not give the gov't any ammo to use against us to point to in their next proposal. Mostly, they don't have any tragic events related to drones. But it only takes one to destroy any chance of improvement of our current restrictions. Personally, I'd like to be able to use a vhf radio to communicate my position with ATC. But they are afraid we'd tie up the manned aircraft frequencies. The future is here. So they won't be able to maintain denial forever - unless someone causes an accident or high security incident.

I think you have hit on a huge problem. I have a job set up, but it's in the Class B airspace of Philly International. I called the airport, got transferred a few times, before finally getting on the phone with their in-house "drone guy," who seemed to know what he was talking about. He correctly told me to submit a waiver request via the FAA's website, which I did... 3 weeks ago, lol. No response. Tried to follow-up a few times, no one answers at the FAA. I leave messages and no one calls me back. How the government thinks is ok to set up a whole process for requesting waivers, then completely ignore people who submit such requests just boggles my mind. But I guess that how the government rolls. I think if there was an actual avenue available to submit requests for waivers, a lot more people would go that route, but as far as I can tell, right now it's impossible.

I started flying "drones" back when they were called "quadcopters." I think one of the worst things that happened to this hobby is when the media started calling a quadcopter with a camera a drone. The media LOVED reporting that a "drone" flew over the Whitehouse, or that a "drone" almost hit a plane, etc. R/C airplanes have been around for YEARS, and these things happened but were never reported on. Maybe the popularity has caused an increase in incidences, but it's because more people are flying, not because "drones" are dangerous.

Is this "rule" an actual law with stated penalties or a rule? It seems even the so called experts seem to disagree on this point.
CFR means Code of Federal Regulation. Anything within these CFR's, is Federal law.

When in doubt, call your local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) manager - They and only they have the legal authority to ya or nay your flight requests and gave the power to enforced the regs (eg issue fines).

Just another nail in the drone coffin when I see totally irresponsible videos such as this.
I also believe the volunteer mods who govern all 8 of the drone web forums have a moral obligation to act as well.
By not doing so, makes them just as equally guilty of promoting this type of behaviour by some drone operators.
The mods can quietly delete this type of video before anyone realizes it is gone!
We've got to stop supporting this genre of reckless flying in order to save be industry:
Look what's happened in Canada? It's almost impossible to fly anywhere now. The same will happen in the Excited States within a week. It's probably too late.
It's a shame that the immoral actions of a few have virtually killed the drone industry for the rest of us law abiding flyers!

Just another nail in the drone coffin when I see totally irresponsible videos such as this.
I also believe the volunteer mods who govern all 8 of the drone web forums have a moral obligation to act as well.
By not doing so, makes them just as equally guilty of promoting this type of behaviour by some drone operators.
The mods can quietly delete this type of video before anyone realizes it is gone!
We've got to stop supporting this genre of reckless flying in order to save be industry:
Look what's happened in Canada? It's almost impossible to fly anywhere now. The same will happen in the Excited States within a week. It's probably too late.
It's a shame that the immoral actions of a few have virtually killed the drone industry for the rest of us law abiding flyers!
Just to clear a few things up, the 'administrators' are on all 8 sites, not the moderators. You already know the situation as you read it on the Inspire forum, but for everyone else...

The Forum Owners strongly encourage users to obey all federal and local laws and regulations when flying. It is a helpful service to the community when members guide others in understanding and following the regulations. Meanwhile, fully understanding all international rules and regulations is complex and it is not the responsibility of the forum owners, moderators or community members to police and enforce these rules and regulations. Any violation of another community rule, even if in the context of attempting to help enforce flying laws and regulations, is prohibited.

So be safe and do the right thing.

Since this thread has run its course I am going to close it up.

IMG_4132.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada