DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The VLOS challenge

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
To me VLOS means that I can see the drone. It might mean I can see it well enough to determine its orientation too --- but that's pushing it.

So - here is the challenge. Let's all participate in a data gathering exercise to see how far we can see the MP.

In daylight conditions (sunny, cloudy, but not too foggy...)

Between 100 - 200 feet (30 - 60 metres of height above ground.

Suggest you avoid cluttered backgrounds.

Step 1.
Fly the Mavic Pro, keeping your eyes on it, away from you, until you cannot see it. Record distance from the RC.
Continue outbound 100 m more.​
Step 2.
Fly the Mavic Pro, inbound until you can see it. Record distance.​

Repeat Steps 1 and 2 another 2 times (total of three(3) trips).

Record light conditions. (sunny, dusk/dawn, cloudy, foggy,...).

How is your MP skinned?

Report back here. I'd prefer metres (!). m = feet * 0.3048

Please do not be either optimistic about how far you can see nor pessimistic.

Edit 2: added height.

Last edited:
Ahhh meters! Those pesky Quebecer's! What next French as the predominate language ? Oh wait they already did that! :)

Ahhh meters! Those pesky Quebecer's! What next French as the predominate language ? Oh wait they already did that! :)

It's metres, not meters. Do we Quebecers have to teach you English too? :cool:

Note that the metric system has been the primary legal system of weights and measures in the US since about 1880. (No typo there).

Now I agree that general disobedience of US federal law is a fine tradition but, hey, the scientific and merchant world turned to metric a century ago ... time the US got on board, no?

[emoji16] I am having to to switch between Metric and the US SAE system all the time. Let me tell you, millimeters is heck alot easier for measuring wood dimensions than 3 7/16 in x 4 3/32 in. I'm thinking of switching and never looking back. Might be difficult to find some the tools though.

HA ha Alan nice thread! You should specify daytime only.

On a sunny day I can see my Mavic for maybe 200M before it becomes impossible to find it again if I take my eyes off it for a split second. I have flown with 5-6 people watching and they all lost sight of it at about 200M away and 60M up.

Cant wait to see the Eagles and Hawks have to say. My popcorn is already in the Microwave:p

Rob

HA ha Alan nice thread! You should specify daytime only.

On a sunny day I can see my Mavic for maybe 200M before it becomes impossible to find it again if I take my eyes off it for a split second. I have flown with 5-6 people watching and they all lost sight of it at about 200M away and 60M up.

Cant wait to see the Eagles and Hawks have to say. My popcorn is already in the Microwave:p

Rob
We're about the same. The very best I did was 250m because the background was nice even light grey white. I am seeing the optometrist next week, maybe new glasses will make 250 m into 250 m.

Edited for daytime.

Hold on M to F conversion... divide by three, take off left shoe count to 14 now..... ok got it....821 feet and some change...

Reactions: nveer
Sunday, while I was flying fpv, my wife (spotter) informed me to stop going further away at 275 meters because that was the limit for her. Sunny day with the sun in West (at her back) with drone east of her. Standard mavic color. Had to fly above tree line, lost sight at 100 meters

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Is this question about unaided vision or is the use of Binoculars included?

Also IMHO you have two different LOS points.

1) The point where you can see the drone then look at your screen for several seconds and look back up and find the drone without going into a panic.

2) The point where the drone is no longer visible even if your looking right at it the whole time.

In my case on a normal sunny day

1 = Approx 150m - 200M At the 200M mark I have to wobble the drone around to spot it

2 = Approx 250M it's gone from VLOS no matter what I do.

Rob

You should define a standard altitude for the tests. It's not the same thing to find your drone at 60m up that try to find it at 300m.

In my case on a normal sunny day

1 = Approx 150m - 200M At the 200M mark I have to wobble the drone around to spot it

2 = Approx 250M it's gone from VLOS no matter what I do.

Rob

I like that bit. And no binoculars allowed.

As a starting point it would be interesting to know where people lose it (so to speak) even if they track it outbound and then (as the challenge says) how close does it need to be to re-acquire sans wobble.

I only fly over the Pacific Ocean; I assure you, nobody gives a ***.
I reckon as I live on the Pacific Ocean too we should try a test and get the drones to meet halfway.
Would be an awesome viral video.

I'm on the east coast of Australia BTW

@Robbyg

I like how you split the two. It's very true that you can easily lose track of the drone much closer than you lose sight of it.

I will test this out and report back with what I find, eager to see how well my eyes go. :)

It's metres, not meters. Do we Quebecers have to teach you English too? :cool:

Note that the metric system has been the primary legal system of weights and measures in the US since about 1880. (No typo there).

Now I agree that general disobedience of US federal law is a fine tradition but, hey, the scientific and merchant world turned to metric a century ago ... time the US got on board, no?

And the numbers we are using, (0...,1...,2...3...) are called the "Hindu-Arabic" numerals! :)
Maybe also switch from Gallons to Liters...would be more convenient and more "up to date"

I only fly over the Pacific Ocean; I assure you, nobody gives a ***.
I do because I want a sampling of distances at which people lose sight and re-gain sight of the drone. So next time you're out, if you think to do so, it would be great if made the observations.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User