DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The VLOS challenge

And the numbers we are using, (0...,1...,2...3...) are called the "Hindu-Arabic" numerals! :)
Maybe also switch from Gallons to Liters...would be more convenient and more "up to date"

For Americans litres are a natural as 1 litre is just slightly more than 1 US Qt.

On a clear day, I can see it 4.8 kilo-inches straight up. (See? I compromised.) ;)

Reactions: cobra46
at 60M height, I couldn't see it anymore at 280M. When there was background i.e it was flying in front of a mountain, I couldn't see at 200M even when I knew exactly where it was.

Just went to the ophthalmologist optometrist .

-0.5 bump in each eye, astig reduced in right eye, and new astig in the left eye (but she said not worth correcting yet).

So I should be picking out the MP a bit further.

Picked up the P4P at a bit over 400 m coming back last Sat. Might be able to get to 450 or so now...

Last edited:
About 2.114e-14 light years for me.

Most animals including human are much better at spotting objects that move. This is due to some evolutionary thing about seeing animals that want to eat us. I have a much easier time seeing mine if it is moving left to right versus straight away or towards me.

To me VLOS means that I can see the drone. It might mean I can see it well enough to determine its orientation too --- but that's pushing it.

So - here is the challenge. Let's all participate in a data gathering exercise to see how far we can see the MP.

In daylight conditions (sunny, cloudy, but not too foggy...)

Between 100 - 200 feet (30 - 60 metres of height above ground.

Suggest you avoid cluttered backgrounds.

Step 1.
Fly the Mavic Pro, keeping your eyes on it, away from you, until you cannot see it. Record distance from the RC.
Continue outbound 100 m more.​
Step 2.
Fly the Mavic Pro, inbound until you can see it. Record distance.​

Repeat Steps 1 and 2 another 2 times (total of three(3) trips).

Record light conditions. (sunny, dusk/dawn, cloudy, foggy,...).

How is your MP skinned?

Report back here. I'd prefer metres (!). m = feet * 0.3048

Please do not be either optimistic about how far you can see nor pessimistic.

Edit 2: added height.

Have to try it next time I'm out to see how far out I can spot it. This topic did raise two "random thoughts" in me, though:

(1) I wonder if the terrorists who get hit by Predator drone attacks are ever able to spot the drone circling high overhead before the attack occurs. Are the Predators so high in altitude or so small or painted in such a way that for terrorists to even attempt to keep a watch out for them is a waste of time?

(2) I once read many years ago about some "visual stealth" tests involving an aircraft which had bright white lights mounted all over on its underside so as to make it blend in with the sky when viewed by ground observers below. According to the article, the test was so successful that the ground observers couldn't spot the aircraft until it was low and coming in to land.

About 2.114e-14 light years for me.

Most animals including human are much better at spotting objects that move. This is due to some evolutionary thing about seeing animals that want to eat us. I have a much easier time seeing mine if it is moving left to right versus straight away or towards me.

That's what I get - maybe to 2.6e-14 LY so. With the new glasses, should improve.

Indeed it's the moving away and particularly coming back that's hardest to pick up.

Have to try it next time I'm out to see how far out I can spot it. This topic did raise two "random thoughts" in me, though:

(1) I wonder if the terrorists who get hit by Predator drone attacks are ever able to spot the drone circling high overhead before the attack occurs. Are the Predators so high in altitude or so small or painted in such a way that for terrorists to even attempt to keep a watch out for them is a waste of time?

(2) I once read many years ago about some "visual stealth" tests involving an aircraft which had bright white lights mounted all over on its underside so as to make it blend in with the sky when viewed by ground observers below. According to the article, the test was so successful that the ground observers couldn't spot the aircraft until it was low and coming in to land.

1) It's hard to see any aircraft at altitude w/o contrails to guide you. The Predator is small and thin and usually can be flown at an altitude to reduce contrast contrails. It's painted of course to make it hard to spot.

2) The first such tests go back to WW II or so with tanks on a hill covered in an incandescent lightbulb array. Light it up and it "disappears" against the sky due to lack of contrast. This works well in the open, but if it lights up other objects near by it could make it worse.

Last edited:
I am right there in the 200M range on my stock MP . It seems the answer to VLOS is a bigger Mavic . Time to get big brother fired up again :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170328_155749259_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170328_155749259_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: AlanTheBeast
I am a little tempted to use my P4P to lift my MP when it comes back. Disaster film to follow...

Well this one was originally designed to lift a full sized DSLR but I lost interest and never put the other 4 opposing motors and props on . I'd probably have to do that to get it to lift the Mavic ,lol

Attachments

• IMG_20170328_155702964.jpg
    IMG_20170328_155702964.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 31
Weather conditions: Sunny, no cloud for 10k's, light whispy cloud around 20k out

No skin

Optimal LOS testing over vast bodies of water, 1200m and confirmed with a spotter

General punting about with lots of screen glancing, 50-100m AGL brings it to around 4-600m (if we're talking less than a couple of seconds to spot it)

tested mine yesterday.....
2650 ft out.
See it again at 2200 ft. coming back in. Sunny, mostly cloudless day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian