DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The word 'drone'.

Wacker2611

Reactions
I'm prepared to get shot to pieces as I realise this is irrational. Is it just me that gets a bit riled up every time someone uses the word 'drone' on a forum , or in general parlance? After all, that is what these things are, but there's too much negative baggage. I prefer quadcopter.

Nope you're by far not the only one, but we unfortunately lost that battle to the general public who either couldn't care less or even use it on purpose for more buzz and gain long ago.

It's what I use in the public. The first time I used drone, when I mentioned I got a new drone, she thought I acquired a military spy missile. That was also the last time I used it.

Reactions: wayneiak
You say the word Drone... and your a spy and up to no good.. if you say Aircraft, that's pretty good with most.. Myself, coming from years in the Avaition business, "Aircraft works.
Don't like the word "Bird" that just never really fit. And the only reason I would take the time to comment on this, is because it's raining outside right now and I can't fly[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

The Post Office certified him Santa Claus; the FAA calls them UAVs. Maybe we should just go with the Government.... :)

drone
drōn/
verb
  1. 1.
    make a continuous low humming sound.
    "in the far distance a machine droned"
    synonyms: hum, buzz, whirr, vibrate, murmur, rumble, purr
    "a plane droned overhead"

noun
  1. 1.
    a low continuous humming sound.
    "he nodded off to the drone of the car engine"
    synonyms: hum, buzz, whirr, vibration, murmur, purr
    "the drone of aircraft taking off"

2. 2.
    a male bee in a colony of social bees, which does no work but can fertilize a queen.

Reactions: Kilrah
Everyone uses is and everyone understands exactly what it means. Don't see the issue.

prefer quad

That means something only to insiders who recognize it as short for "quadcopter". Everyone else is going to think you're referring to a leg muscle, an open space bounded by buildings, or something else.

Besides, what do pilots of tricopters, hexacopters, octocopters (and, one presumes probably penta- and heptacopters) call their drones?

my drone is a flying cruise missile.

eta: 1st world problems

Haha, that's another often used phrase I can't stand either. Another one is the use of the word 'so' at the start of a sentence. I could go on, but I'll sign out of this one and be grumpy elsewhere[emoji3]

Haha, that's another often used phrase I can't stand either. Another one is the use of the word 'so' at the start of a sentence. I could go on, but I'll sign out of this one and be grumpy elsewhere[emoji3]

Anyone using so to begin a sentence should be sent to Gitmo for forty years.

Reactions: Wacker2611
Unfortunately using "So" at the beginning of a sentence sounds/feels "natural" to many non-native English speakers. I always have to force myself to try not to use it, that's what comes "naturally".

"Unmaned Camera" is what I use. To me the word "drone" makes me feel like people will perceive me as a voyeur. Ha.

Unfortunately using "So" at the beginning of a sentence sounds/feels "natural" to many non-native English speakers. I always have to force myself to try not to use it, that's what comes "naturally".

Yes, but you've got no excuse as your English is better than mine!

Reactions: btucker
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr