DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

The word 'drone'.

The word is ill-applied to all unmanned aircraft including unmanned military spy/attack aircraft. See dictionary reference above. Whoever first coined this usage was a dunce. That said, it has been accepted by the general public. When I say "I got a drone" everyone knows what I mean. If I said quadcopter, that would just lead to more questions, or "oh you mean a drone?". And it's two syllables longer and a bit of a mouthful.

This is how things go along the downward spiral of society. In a generation or two, Merriam-Webster will list "your" and "you're" as synonyms, because stupid people are outbreeding smart people. And the meek shall inherit the earth.

"Drone" has so many negative connotations (even amongst my friends!) - that I use the term "Flying Camera" - because the 2nd question is always "Does it have a camera?" with a worried expression.

I then immediately explain that I take landscapes and pictures of historic buildings like churches and castles and have sample pictures & videos on the iPad to show them that I'm not spying on their daughter in the garden..

That said, 95% of people who have approached me while flying have had nothing but friendly, healthy interest.

"Drone" has so many negative connotations (even amongst my friends!) - that I use the term "Flying Camera" - because the 2nd question is always "Does it have a camera?" with a worried expression.

I then immediately explain that I take landscapes and pictures of historic buildings like churches and castles and have sample pictures & videos on the iPad to show them that I'm not spying on their daughter in the garden..

That said, 95% of people who have approached me while flying have had nothing but friendly, healthy interest.

Yet, you knew their daughter was in the garden...

Sounds fishy.[emoji6]

Reactions: Mavric
If we are going to get picky about language (and why would we not?), I'm irritated by the use of "height" when what's meant is "altitude".

Today's society is way too politically sensitive, worrying about offensive words. It's a drone when 98% of the public know what you mean when you say the word. And a "marriage" happens with a man and a woman. Sorry if I've offended anyone. ;)

Last edited:
I've been using "drone" for years and have never noticed any negative feedback. When we say "quad" we are referring to atvs. I will stick with "drone".

Reactions: John Locke
It is all of the above. Call it what you will. But at the least, fly it like a decent person. Any negative perceptions will far out way the positive we get from the hobby. And trust me, I am not a politically correct man, but this a time to educate as apposed to rebel.

Haha, that's another often used phrase I can't stand either. Another one is the use of the word 'so' at the start of a sentence. I could go on, but I'll sign out of this one and be grumpy elsewhere[emoji3]

Sure would like it if we all used the old school term, "RC Aircraft". So, it's like, at the end of the day, irregardless, it is what it is. (All phrases that mean "virtually" nothing.)

Reactions: Wacker2611
same old thing raising its head. It seems to me that its mainly the yanks that get all hot and bothered about this.

Be an ambassador for flying. Sounds SillyI Have , but that is how we keep it.

I like DRONE, and everyone here is a bunch of DRONERS...in a nice way of course :)

It is all of the above. Call it what you will. But at the least, fly it like a decent person. Any negative perceptions will far out way the positive we get from the hobby. And trust me, I am not a politically correct man, but this a time to educate as apposed to rebel.

Sigh... Can't we just let Amazon do it? :p

I hate the word drone. I prefer multirotor.
People think a drone is a RC airplane flying over enemy grounds, killing other people

I'm prepared to get shot to pieces as I realise this is irrational. Is it just me that gets a bit riled up every time someone uses the word 'drone' on a forum , or in general parlance? After all, that is what these things are, but there's too much negative baggage. I prefer quadcopter.

Doesn't do **** to me.

I find the term UAV to be a little pretentious for something that could never be habitable. I recall at a UAV convention in Alabama (1990's) some yahoo from the Canadian government making a serious pitch to get everyone to call them Uninhabited Aerial Vehicles (rather than unmanned). He had a presentation handy in order to present it if invited to do so. My tax dollars at work. He was politely tolerated and generally ignored.

I've finished the SFOC for Canada (talk about a crock of unimaginable stupidity) and they make it bureaucratically clear that the sole term they want to read is "UAV". Edit carefully now or civilization and your SFOC application will grind to a halt.

Call 'em what you will, I'm quite happy with "Drone" even if the term is not technically correct. Calling them quadcopters is fine but also seems like a waste of syllable bandwidth to me.

I just tell my wife I'm going to fly my toy and she knows what I mean .

Reactions: Roller1974
I call it a quadcopted until the person I'm addressing gives me a confused look then I switch to drone and they always nod and smile, asking what a quadcopted is!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf