DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

These PolarPro filters make all the difference.

FYI: DJI warranties are voided if ANY non-DJI accessories - including lens filters and props - are used on their Mavics. Hasn't stopped tons of folks from using PolarPro filters in the least, but just something I wanted you both to be aware of.

After having problems with one set of third-party ND filters I bought for my Mavic that caused gimbal problems, motor overloads and startup troubles for me - which is how I discovered this voided warranty policy DJI has in place - I opted to purchase DJI's own line of ND filters. Designed by the same engineers who designed the Mavic, their filters are easy to put on and take off, and are fully compatible with startup and gimbal initialization, which some other ND filters are not. I have been quite pleased with their results.

PolarPro's are good filters and a worthwhile investment. I use them on the other drone I fly. Happy filming and photo taking with them.

Very Nice! Are you placing the filter on after the gimbal does its initial power check. Mine always fails and gives gimbal errors if I mount the filter prior to power on. Was hoping to do it that way. Much easier to mount with the camera lock bracket on.

The DJI ND filters give you no such problems. Put them on and leave them on, no problems with startup or with power check. I sometimes switch ND filters as needed for the day's lighting conditions, but I tend to get by just keeping my ND 8 on the camera. It handles most every lighting condition and has proven to be a good, all around filter to use, at least to me.

FYI: DJI warranties are voided if ANY non-DJI accessories - including lens filters and props - are used on their Mavics. Hasn't stopped tons of folks from using PolarPro filters in the least, but just something I wanted you both to be aware of.

After having problems with one set of third-party ND filters I bought for my Mavic that caused gimbal problems, motor overloads and startup troubles for me - which is how I discovered this voided warranty policy DJI has in place - I opted to purchase DJI's own line of ND filters. Designed by the same engineers who designed the Mavic, their filters are easy to put on and take off, and are fully compatible with startup and gimbal initialization, which some other ND filters are not. I have been quite pleased with their results.

PolarPro's are good filters and a worthwhile investment. I use them on the other drone I fly. Happy filming and photo taking with them.

I bought the polar pro filters because a user on fb bought the dji nd filters and one broke installing it and dji wouldn't honor the warranty. they look flimsy.

Don't you find the dji filters lack build quality?
I bought them. One broke on day 1. I really find them on pair with dji nr 1 priority, designing things that buyers are guaranteed to have to replace by another buy when (not if) the thing go *********** as designed to.

Dude, i think you captured a UFO. it first shows up at .35 seconds into the video. Notice how it travels and disappears and re-appears... :)

UFO.png

I bought the polar pro filters because a user on fb bought the dji nd filters and one broke installing it and dji wouldn't honor the warranty. they look flimsy.

Don't you find the dji filters lack build quality?
I bought them. One broke on day 1. I really find them on pair with dji nr 1 priority, designing things that buyers are guaranteed to have to replace by another buy when (not if) the thing go *********** as designed to.

No, I really can't say I'd call them flimsy at all. They are small and lightweight, so as to not add unnecessary weight to the camera, motor, and gimbal, that's all. Something I, personally, think is best for my Mavic in the long-term, specifically for it's camera and gimbal assembly's longevity.

I have pretty big hands and fingers, and I'm not the most delicate guy when it comes to my touch, but I haven't had any problems mounting them, removing them, or possibly even breaking them, either. They work just fine for me. Like I say, PolarPro is a great line to use and I use them on the Typhoon H I fly. I just like the idea of using the lightest possible ND filter I can, for the reasons I stated above. It just makes sense to me, I guess.

The DJI filters look an absolute pig to put on and off.

I'd rather go with the PolarPro than risk damaging such a delicate camera.

With regards the warranty with third party filters, I keep my Mavic in a Crumpler bag and not the official DJI bag.
I'm a renegade.

Sure. Why not? This is why they make chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, etc., ice cream, so all of us can get what we like.

Reactions: Red_Raven
Dude, i think you captured a UFO. it first shows up at .35 seconds into the video. Notice how it travels and disappears and re-appears... :)

UFO.png

GREAT eyes, alirz. OP Downunder DEFINITELY caught something going in his camera lens during his shooting. It does move in a straight path, comes and goes as you describe, but maintains it's direction of movement throughout. Strange weirdness of some sort going on.

Close Encounters of the Drone Kind? Drone X-Files? Who knows? It never even occurred to me about the possibility of drone pilots inadvertently capturing strange objects in the sky (i.e., UFOs) with their cameras as they are going about just doing their thing. But why not? The age of aviation brought far more reports and attention to the UFO phenomena - culminating mostly with the 1940s crash in Roswell, NM, in which the U.S. government clumsily fell over itself trying to explain and then disprove whatever occurred there - so why shouldn't the same hold true with drones?

The more eyes in the skies there are, the more likely abnormalities in the skies and UFOs will be captured, especially since drone pilots quite often fly around independently in more remote areas across the countryside instead of following well-established flight paths designated in the sky.

Hmmm. I wonder if DJI Care covers alien encounter damage? :D

Footage looks good but no need to use ND8 or ND at all for sunset, as shutter would already be pretty slow.
Generally speaking, I shoot sunrises and sunsets often, and at ISO100 my native shutter is around 1/240th, which would need an ND4 to drop to double frame rate.
As long as shutter is natively over 1/240th, the ND filters will help. Most of the sunsets I shoot need at least an ND4, but its all relative to the available light in each specific sunset you shoot.
-Jeff from PolarPro

Reactions: Ifti and Rogue Wave
Generally speaking, I shoot sunrises and sunsets often, and at ISO100 my native shutter is around 1/240th, which would need an ND4 to drop to double frame rate.
As long as shutter is natively over 1/240th, the ND filters will help. Most of the sunsets I shoot need at least an ND4, but its all relative to the available light in each specific sunset you shoot.
-Jeff from PolarPro

Also true, too. The math - and I am sure the results you get and are happy with - do not lie.

As you point out, it ultimately all depends on the exact lighting conditions one is facing - unique every time and from every vantage point - and also, I would add, possibly, too, what one is accustomed to facing and doing in post production, where miracles can happen under the right eyes and hands.

Excuse the ignorant question, but what is better about this than without the filters? For photography, the main advantage of ND filters is enabling a photographer to have more aperture control in a large sensor camera during daylight, and enable long exposures. But I can't see any reason to use them with video and a small sensor like that of the mavic.

Excuse the ignorant question, but what is better about this than without the filters? For photography, the main advantage of ND filters is enabling a photographer to have more aperture control in a large sensor camera during daylight, and enable long exposures. But I can't see any reason to use them with video and a small sensor like that of the mavic.
Since the aperture is fixed, they allow you to slow the shutter speed (ideally to 2X the framerate).

Reactions: CC Rider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jarrodwp1