DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Think they will ever make a second controller made for tablet use?

Steve

Reactions
I was just curious because my eyesight isn't exactly the greatest at all times. I can see this becoming an issue for some people flying the mavic.

Reactions: dirkclod
I doubt it. People will probably buy the Phantom 5 remote controller since that'll most likely use OcuSync too.

I was just curious because my eyesight isn't exactly the greatest at all times. I can see this becoming an issue for some people flying the mavic.
I'm seeing ones coming up with different ideas for holding tablets with this this TX Steve and sure there will be more as these start arriving .
I'm in the same boat as far as older eyes .
Welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: Steve
I really dont think so - considering the form-factor and how the remote is engineered. It was meant to be a quick setup to fly without the need for anything specialized.

people hacking parts with 3d printers will be the way to get an iPad with the smaller remote. I personally thing it will end up being unwieldy, especially if the iPad blocks any parts of the remote. Keep in mind, there is no screen on the Phantom remotes, and they are engineered to have larger real-estate for the iPad screen.

If I am going to use an iPad, it will not be attached to the remote. I will have a long Lightening cable and the iPad will be on a tripod. The only reason for this will be to show the video feed to someone else or group of people.

I will be watching for those 3D printed accessory holders... I probably won't use my 10" tablet, but I want something larger than my S7 smart phone, that is for sure...

There are already a couple solutions for larger device holders on the Mavic controller.... check around on the forum.

Before you know it .. many accessoriers will be out to add a tablet.. but I don't think DJI will change the controller.. their whole form factor idealogy is to make it small and portable as possible

I was on a site called thingiverse & there is a section there with many examples of 3d printed mounts for the Mavic controller. Just search for 'mavic'...

Have used that site before and just looked and the one I had seen was on there, is from a member here blade-strike.
Have seen this posted and couldn't find it but was there in that site . This is what I'm leaning to for when I want to use my mini .
And am.
Without the black nails :eek:

Anyone hear anything recent about Moverio BT-300 compatibility? That was rumored and could potentially be a good solution for those concerned about a small screen...

Yeah, I think the most common solution will show itself soon and will likely involve some adapter that allows you to use a tablet. I would ask that anyone looking to design such an adapter please know where the GPS antennae is in the RC and make sure the tablet and adapter do not cover it and therefore impede the GPS signals. Also, since the RC has a display make sure the tablet and adapter doesn't obscure the RC display either. In fact, if you do one you probably do both.

Brian

Yeah, I think the most common solution will show itself soon and will likely involve some adapter that allows you to use a tablet. I would ask that anyone looking to design such an adapter please know where the GPS antennae is in the RC and make sure the tablet and adapter do not cover it and therefore impede the GPS signals. Also, since the RC has a display make sure the tablet and adapter doesn't obscure the RC display either. In fact, if you do one you probably do both.

Brian

There is no GPS in the controller.. The only controller that had GPS built in was the Inspire remotes. For follow me modes, it uses the GPS on your smartphone.

Anyways...
Instead of using an Ipad, maybe a magnify glass like this will help..
logic-3-light-magnifier.jpg

So don't forget that if you're using a bigger screen, you can get the same info that's on the RC to show up in the app. If you don't see the RC screen, its not a big deal.

I'm wondering if someone isn't making something right now where the RC actually docks into a structure capable of safely holding an iPad at a tilt. Regardless, I don't mind having to use my phone as the screen is large. I think patience will help those who are not satisfied with using their phone.

If you can't do that, and you're already throwing away portability, consider a lightweight tripod or even light stand with your ipad docked to it. Its sort of an odd setup but not unheard of.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

After several flights, my opinion is that a top display mount is visually superior. It's sort of unnatural beneath the controller and I feel my neck getting strained a bit. I'm anxious for an unobtrusive quality top mount.

After several flights, my opinion is that a top display mount is visually superior. It's sort of unnatural beneath the controller and I feel my neck getting strained a bit. I'm anxious for an unobtrusive quality top mount.

It will be interesting to see what gets designed. The Mavic controller is so tiny, I think there would have to be a bracket that is very secure on the controller.

Dynamic 3D solutions has come out with another "under controller" mount... I would think that an "above the controller" mount would have to be similarly designed so that the weight of the tablet isn't put on the controller.

Dynamic 3D Solutions
5a933f_548b69928df94aacbbf8b9f4058bd895~mv2.jpg

5a933f_fafb27095ab74981adc7f90e276d03db~mv2.jpg

5a933f_1f98227c4fac4c08b28cfcf9a0c35a9b~mv2.jpg

Brian
Several 3-D guys are already on it, the best one I have seen so far is this one Mavic Pro Tablet Mount as it will allow any tablet up to the Air2 too be used, as well as provide a harness mount and fold out legs for ground station operation.

i understand people want to use tablets...honestly though it fits a good size phone in it...it seems like enough to me...the monitor i have for my racer is about the max size that the controller allows and it's plenty big enough to me...then again though i have 20/20 vision...it seems to me though there would be a weight distribution problem...i haven't held the controller yet and don't know how much your tablets weigh but as small as the controller seems to be wouldn't having a tablet on top of it make it want to tilt over causing you to have to counter that?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54