DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking of 15 inch MacBook Pro and Final Cut X

Gerry65

Reactions
Hi folks. I guess I don't have much of a question but was just looking for some thoughts on this purchase. I currently do my editing and saving on my iPhone and/or iPad using iMovie because my MacBook Air is 8 years old now and has essentially no space. I certainly am not an an expert by any means either using the Mavic to video and editing but I wanted to learn and I thought I should go big since I'm loving the bird and the editing. I've heard the 15 inch MacBook Pro using Final Cut Pro X works well with creating and rendering 4K video given that it has a quad core processor. And, I've also read that the trend towards quad core processors is where things are heading down the road. So, it won't obsolete in 3-4 years. I guess if I got the bucks I should go ahead and do, right?

Reactions: Jim596
Hi folks. I guess I don't have much of a question but was just looking for some thoughts on this purchase. I currently do my editing and saving on my iPhone and/or iPad using iMovie because my MacBook Air is 8 years old now and has essentially no space. I certainly am not an an expert by any means either using the Mavic to video and editing but I wanted to learn and I thought I should go big since I'm loving the bird and the editing. I've heard the 15 inch MacBook Pro using Final Cut Pro X works well with creating and rendering 4K video given that it has a quad core processor. And, I've also read that the trend towards quad core processors is where things are heading down the road. So, it won't obsolete in 3-4 years. I guess if I got the bucks I should go ahead and do, right?

Get an external RAID drive with a Thunderbolt connector an your set up will rock. Just invested myself and this setup is equal to any professional editor [emoji106][emoji106]

I recently purchased the FCPX Student bundle through Apple, which included Logic Pro as well as a couple extensions. It's a **** of a deal.

Pro Apps Bundle for Education

Used on my 2016 MCP 15", it's an amazing value.

BTW: No, I'm not a student.
Geez, that is quite a value. I get 10% back from Best Buy with my purchase so I'll get FCPX for a trial period than buy with my BB $$.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Get an external RAID drive with a Thunderbolt connector an your set up will rock. Just invested myself and this setup is equal to any professional editor [emoji106][emoji106]
Looks like RAID is the way to go and I got a USB-C adapter. Is thunderbolt a different connecter? Oh, looks to be something different. I'll look into it. Thanks.

FCPX rocks. That simple. If you use D-Log, consider an app like Color Finale. Also Coremelt handles LUT's very well.

Just looking into editing software and an upgrade on my old MacBook...it's so slow and makes my videos either stagger or "jiggle" when I view them..but the videos I've taken with my MavicPro show very smooth on my iPadPro....is there a good tutorial for FCPX for me to use? I'm not very familiar with editing software..thanks for your input...also...did you go with the 13" or 15" MBP and ?

Last edited:

Ok I know this is not Raid but What do you think about the D2 Lacie Thunderbolt

FCPX rocks. That simple. If you use D-Log, consider an app like Color Finale. Also Coremelt handles LUT's very well.
From what I've read, and I have a long way to go, I thought you could also use the D-cinelike setting and then add color post. I thought cinelike has a bit more condensed color than D-log...if that's the right term. Is it just a personal preference. So I guess those apps you mention are well integrated into the MacBook Pro.

Im curious, do you have to have those apps to add color back in or can you just rely on FCPX? Sorry for noob questions but I'm just now migrating from my old machine to the new one. Thanks.

From what I've read, and I have a long way to go, I thought you could also use the D-cinelike setting and then add color post. I thought cinelike has a bit more condensed color than D-log...if that's the right term. Is it just a personal preference. So I guess those apps you mention are well integrated into the MacBook Pro.

Im curious, do you have to have those apps to add color back in or can you just rely on FCPX? Sorry for noob questions but I'm just now migrating from my old machine to the new one. Thanks.

FCPX does both. It also has batch edit where you can color correct 1 clip and quickly apply the same edit to a batch of clips. This is useful for editing all your content for a whole day of flying when conditions don't change much during the day.

Reactions: Black Sky Films
I use the same and a trash can set up as well works awesome all i do is 4k

Reactions: Budmancan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada