DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking of buying a iPad mini 4

wombat

Reactions
I just need some info about the iPad mini 4 with the Mavic Pro.

Can I use the Mavic without having a connection to the internet on a iPad mini 4 ?

How would I get the DJI go 4 app for the iPad mini 4 ?

Is there a better screen for the Mavic than the iPad mini 4 ?

Need a larger screen than my iPhone 6 (ipad mini size), any other suggestions will be considered.

I have an iPad mini 4 and use it with my Mavic

The lack of internet isn't an issue. You get the app from the App Store just like any other app.

I doubt you'll find a better screen than the iPad, I find it perfect. Anything larger will require a special holder. Cheers

The ipad 4 mini is a great choice.. of tablet.. it fits the controller fine, you do not need a celluar connection for it to work.
I cache the maps and home if I need them and the the only function you loose in the I think is the active track.. not that I would ever use that anyway............

You would need to order a angled lightning cable, to make the controller/pad easier to hold onto
1m/2m/3m Right Angled Lightning Charging/Data Cable iPhone 6/5/5S/5C iPad Mini

Personally I bought a second hand Iphone 6 plus as my main everyday screen.. and would use the Ipad when time and distance walking is not a issue..........
hope this helps

Last edited:
what mem for mini 4 with the mavic 64 or 128 ?

Doesn't matter, I have the 32gb because I only need several uav based apps on mine

If you don't go for the sim card version you won't have gps in the ipad

Reactions: Drone Man Dan
Hi BB how have you been ?

I may go for the 128 cos I would hate to run out of mem, so I would not need int connection for gps to work is that correct ?

Reactions: Drone Man Dan
Hi BB how have you been ?

I may go for the 128 cos I would hate to run out of mem, so I would not need int connection for gps to work is that correct ?

I've been good, plenty of flights under the belt now and starting to put it to work with good results

What do you need the memory for?

As for GPS, assuming you got the sim card version, it does not need internet connection to use the gps but you will need internet to load the maps. If you got the wifi only version like I did, it has no gps, but that's no concern to me

That's cool then.. just thought I had read somewhere that one function was unavaliable with out a GPS equipped tablet other than maps......

Of course you could always use your phone as a hotspot connection
The features you lose are 'Follow Me', and the ability to re-set the Home Point to the controller position if you move away from your original HP.

The features you lose are 'Follow Me', and the ability to re-set the Home Point to the controller position if you move away from your original HP.
I thought that one of the functions were missing.. just could'nt remember which one...... not that I use any of the many of the functions anyway..Cheers

I've been good, plenty of flights under the belt now and starting to put it to work with good results

What do you need the memory for?

As for GPS, assuming you got the sim card version, it does not need internet connection to use the gps but you will need internet to load the maps. If you got the wifi only version like I did, it has no gps, but that's no concern to me

Not many flights done my end, will need to get out soon and fly.

I always thought more mem the better, so you recommend the 32gb with cellular is that correct ?

what do you mean by sim card version ?

Last edited:

Hmmmm, I also do not use Follow Me and reset the home point if moving away from original HP.

Not many flights done my end, will need to get out soon and fly.

I always thought more mem the better, so you recommend the 32gb with cellular is that correct ?

what do you mean by sim card version ?
That's just storage memory, I don't need it as I use my phone for all that, you may have a different approach

sim card=cellular, I just had a brain fart

If you don't use follow me or reset the home point then I personally don't see the need to spend hundreds more to have gps

128gb is over kill. you'll be fine with 32gb... Video and photos are stored on the mavic SD card. Also I would purchase a certified refurb ipad mini 4... Because Apple will be releasing up grades to the iPad around March.

I use a 32gb iPad mini 4 wifi only and it works perfectly. As noted earlier, you lose two functions, but neither are important to me. If I ever get to the point where I need then, there are gps options that can be incorporated externally via Bluetooth. I hear that they work fine.

finished up with the 128gb version, I feel I will need the extra gb later down the track

thanks guys for your feedback

finished up with the 128gb version, I feel I will need the extra gb later down the track

thanks guys for your feedback

Did you go with wifi only or with cellular? Based on your comments, you'll be happy with either.

Did you go with wifi only or with cellular? Based on your comments, you'll be happy with either.

I went with the cellular, will also use the mini to replace my very old iPad.

Reactions: dronetxgirl
I've always purchased my iPads with maximum storage space however, the iPad mini 4 I recently purchased for the sole purpose of and FPV for my Mavic is only a 16gb. This is more than enough storage to serve for this purpose. in regards to connectivity, I don't like to cache maps in advance or rely on my iPhone as a hotspot therefore, I did purchase my iPad with cellular service.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000