DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Third flight and...

BluesDragon

Reactions
... I'm so freakin' in love with this thing!!
I took Lil' Dragon down to my local neighborhood, as in my subdivision, park. It has a very wide open grassy knoll area. Well away from homes and any kids playing in the general park area. Was able to get in some flyin' practice... learning control of the sticks.. how she drifts in turns... how she brakes when letting off the sticks... just general feel for her reactions to my input. Got in some long sweeping figure eights and then tried out the RTH. Everything went just too perfect!
One thing I found is me.. the pilot.. the daddy... gets very nervous and I find it hard to look up at 'er when I start climbing in altitude. My heart gets to pounding and the fear of 'er "just dropping" takes over. I have yet to manually take 'er up over 100'! My RTH, however, I have set to 45m/147' (or so). So when I tested the return to home.. I can admit to being a bit skerd watching 'er climb and zoom over to the landing zone. It's like having a teenage daughter... I can't wanna let 'er outta my sight. So yeah... I'm all about VLOS! lol
I did comfortable enough to give Sport Mode a try as well. OMG... she's a feisty lil' dragon! I've yet to check my top speed... just got back and relaxed. But she acted like she just downed some steroids and began tearing through the air like a hot knife through buttah! Yeah... I'm so in love with my Lil' Dragon. :)

Reactions: Former Member
... I'm so freakin' in love with this thing!!
I took Lil' Dragon down to my local neighborhood, as in my subdivision, park. It has a very wide open grassy knoll area. Well away from homes and any kids playing in the general park area. Was able to get in some flyin' practice... learning control of the sticks.. how she drifts in turns... how she brakes when letting off the sticks... just general feel for her reactions to my input. Got in some long sweeping figure eights and then tried out the RTH. Everything went just too perfect!
One thing I found is me.. the pilot.. the daddy... gets very nervous and I find it hard to look up at 'er when I start climbing in altitude. My heart gets to pounding and the fear of 'er "just dropping" takes over. I have yet to manually take 'er up over 100'! My RTH, however, I have set to 45m/147' (or so). So when I tested the return to home.. I can admit to being a bit skerd watching 'er climb and zoom over to the landing zone. It's like having a teenage daughter... I can't wanna let 'er outta my sight. So yeah... I'm all about VLOS! lol
I did comfortable enough to give Sport Mode a try as well. OMG... she's a feisty lil' dragon! I've yet to check my top speed... just got back and relaxed. But she acted like she just downed some steroids and began tearing through the air like a hot knife through buttah! Yeah... I'm so in love with my Lil' Dragon. :)
Find a nice calm place and time and take her up to 400 feet just looking at the screen, make sure you are recording, do a slow 360 or 720 and bring her back down to 30 feet or so still focusing on the screen, then land her visually. Only thing that worked for me.

Find a nice calm place and time and take her up to 400 feet just looking at the screen, make sure you are recording, do a slow 360 or 720 and bring her back down to 30 feet or so still focusing on the screen, then land her visually. Only thing that worked for me.

That definitely helped... thanks! My subdivision is pretty much surrounded by agricultural fields. So I took 'er out there today and let loose. Got 'er up to around 360' and flew around the fields and then brought 'er in. All went well, except for my thumb on the stick being a bit shaky... lol

I also learned something new. If you drive a vehicle with a sub woofer in the back, it's not a good idea to sit on the bumper while flying. I noticed the 'magnetic interference' warning and stood up and stepped away from the woofer. All was good again. Which brings me to question: Will traveling with your case sitting back there with the woofer have any permanent adverse affect on the MP or RC?

I did get a little video, but still need to work on my editing skills. :cool:

Congrats on popping your altitude cherry. Might seem counter intuitive but in most cases your safer at higher altitudes. Less to run into lol.

I find it's not uncommon to get magnetic interference messages when starting up the aircraft near a vehicle with or without a sub. Just to experiment, turn on your mavic, go to the advanced sensors screen in the menu and watch the real time compass displays as you walk around your vehicle while holding your mavic. The bars will go up and down depending on how close and to what part of the vehicle your near and how close you are. The front usually pegs it pretty good because of the dense iron block from the motor.

Reactions: BluesDragon
Welcome to the forum! As Big Fil said, altitude is safety - it's tough to crash into the sky, but plenty of people crash into the ground!

As for magnetic interference, I actually had a wierd "stick emi" error message a while ago which I couldn't get rid of with recalibrating etc, fortunately I eventually figured out it had been caused by the controller sticks being near a little, very strong neodymium magnet in my mobile phone case. I would avoid putting the mavic and controller near strong magnets if you can, as you might impart magnetism to something like I did. I doubt being near your sub would do it, but being sat right on top might.

For reference, and I doubt you'll ever need to know this, but what eventually fixed my stick emi error message was waving the same little strong magnet that had caused the stick to get magnetised around close to it, in a random way, to degauss the stick. Strange, but true.

Went out to a freighter anchored in a bay a few days after getting my Mavic. Misjudged the distance, was a 5 KM round trip, but Mavic handled it like a Pro. You'll be stretching the distance in no time.

....I actually had a wierd "stick emi" error message a while ago which I couldn't get rid of with recalibrating etc, fortunately I eventually figured out it had been caused by the controller sticks being near a little, very strong neodymium magnet....

I found that error message too. I set down the RC in the back off my hatchback and immediately noticed it. Was quick to snatch it up again and then kicked myself in the arse. It went away as soon as I pulled the RC away from the sub. I won't be making that mistake again!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada