DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This may be a dumb question.

No. But, you can cut down on the resources your phone is using if you turn on airplane mode. It'll also prevent distractions from phone calls or text messages.

You certainly do not need to turn off anything on your phone when flying although many people elect to put their phones in airplane mode. You can save a map of the location you'll be flying in and access it offline.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I have one more question, not sure if I should have made a new thread. I've seen that the controller needs calibrated due to a bug causing it to stick. Did firmware correct this issue, or should I still calibrate the sticks?

Airplane mode is what I use.. prevents interruptions.. when you get where you are going to be flying open the DJI app. Look around move the map in the application around in the area you will be flying...(the process is called caching the map) then switch your phone to airplane mode.. done deal

An alternative to airplane mode is setting your phone to "Do Not Disturb" for the time that you are flying.

No. But, you can cut down on the resources your phone is using if you turn on airplane mode. It'll also prevent distractions from phone calls or text messages.
Good point indeed ... hadn't thought of that ...

Airplane mode is what I use.. prevents interruptions.. when you get where you are going to be flying open the DJI app. Look around move the map in the application around in the area you will be flying...(the process is called caching the map) then switch your phone to airplane mode.. done deal
Another good point on looking around on the map .... I always do that in FSX when I'm going to create a video.

Has anyone tried both, airplane mode and Do Not Disturb? Just wondering if one is better than the other...in terms of setting up. Just looking for the quickest, most efficient, and reliable way of using my iphone, without having to worry about being interrupted while flying.

For some reason, my phone does not notify of any missed calls when switching back to regular mode after using airplane mode. Whereas, after using DND, it shows missed calls.

Only issue with DND on Apple is if the person calling is a contact and then beatbox your line with more than one call it will still ring though

Thought I read somewhere that leaving your display's wifi toggle on could potentially cause interference.

I have one more question, not sure if I should have made a new thread. I've seen that the controller needs calibrated due to a bug causing it to stick. Did firmware correct this issue, or should I still calibrate the sticks?
This is a good question. Does anyone have an answer for her?

Personally, I think you should just calibrate the sticks just to be safe. Like this...

I flew a long long way out today.. never turned anything off. was reading text msgs while flying. No problems...

Reactions: laura schlenker
This is a good question. Does anyone have an answer for her?

Personally, I think you should just calibrate the sticks just to be safe. Like this...
I'm thinking about doing it, but I think the firmware fixed it?

Has anyone tried both, airplane mode and Do Not Disturb? Just wondering if one is better than the other...in terms of setting up. Just looking for the quickest, most efficient, and reliable way of using my iphone, without having to worry about being interrupted while flying.

For some reason, my phone does not notify of any missed calls when switching back to regular mode after using airplane mode. Whereas, after using DND, it shows missed calls.
Airplane mode disables your cellular radio.
DND just mutes the ringtone and notifications.
I would go with airplane mode. It reduces battery drain and resource use. It also eliminates another potential source of interference

I would recommend airplane mode for the best range and least chance of problems. Having an RF radiator that close to a receiver can "de-sense" or reduce the gain of the front end resulting in less sensitivity to pick up the video transmission. As others have said you can fly without doing this but airplane mode should give you the maximum video range, as will reducing the video bitrate.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98