DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This thing is pretty amazing.

Halle923

Reactions
Flew almost 2.5 miles. Limiting factor was winds and the battery life. This thing is incredible.
77573dcc872ba7e1b49dc4e6cc1d69fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: bufy77 and rawkitt
I'm still too timid for this kind of distance....very cool. My satellite view is never this good !!??

Thats a nice distance run! Did you use Smart RTH or just monitor battery level and wait till 50 percent and bring back manually?

That's impressive. The farthest I've taken it is .25 mile which really just means the end of the block.

I tend to panic because I lose sight of it at that distance. I'm not sure what I would do if my phone would lose connection as I depend on it to know where I am at via the camera.

I plan to drive to Long Beach this weekend and will hopefully fly it to the beach area which is about .5 mile away. What scares me is losing connection due to multiple apartment buildings.

Reactions: Mattias
That's impressive. The farthest I've taken it is .25 mile which really just means the end of the block.

I tend to panic because I lose sight of it at that distance. I'm not sure what I would do if my phone would lose connection as I depend on it to know where I am at via the camera.

I plan to drive to Long Beach this weekend and will hopefully fly it to the beach area which is about .5 mile away. What scares me is losing connection due to multiple apartment buildings.
Thats exactly my problem....I know it will come home but it just freaks me out to have it go too far....!!! LOL

Reactions: burtg and Ateam043
I'm in the same boat. Haven't had the guts to take it that far. Lol. I'm going to take it to my glider field in long beach and let her run a bit.
Haven't tried the RTH function yet. My question is:
After pushing the rth function, are you able to cancel it in flight and take back control?. I've seen a friend activate rth and mid fight on a phantom 4 and take back control mid return.
Thx from the noob.

I'm in the same boat. Haven't had the guts to take it that far. Lol. I'm going to take it to my glider field in long beach and let her run a bit.
Haven't tried the RTH function yet. My question is:
After pushing the rth function, are you able to cancel it in flight and take back control?. I've seen a friend activate rth and mid fight on a phantom 4 and take back control mid return.
Thx from the noob.

Yes. You can simply try this from any distance. You do not need to miles away to test functions :)

Yes. You can simply try this from any distance. You do not need to miles away to test functions :)

Can it be cancelled mid return?. I just like to be prepared. Lol. I really only have one maiden today under my belt. But, I'm very impressed with it.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that is taking it very carefully. Most of my distance has been straight up. I went to 188 feet this morning until I started getting wind speed warnings.

Reactions: zimode
The reason i ask is because the houses are really close together where i live. If it gets to close to a building, i want to be able to manually bring it in. Thx again

Can it be cancelled mid return?. I just like to be prepared. Lol. I really only have one maiden today under my belt. But, I'm very impressed with it.

Yes it can be cancelled mid return using the controller button or press the red x on the left of your display/phone screen during RTH

Thank you. Maybe I'll get the nerve tomorrow.

only problem with my maiden today was it would detect an obstacle and stop even though it was 200 ft in the air. Happened a couple of times. I have read this happening and only can be a problem when rth and low on battery.

Last edited:
yes, you can cancel a Smart RTH by pushing the pause button on the remote or the stop button on the app. A failsafe RTH cannot be canceled unless you regain connection to the drone. (pg. 14 of the Users manual).

yes, you can cancel a Smart RTH by pushing the pause button on the remote or the stop button on the app. A failsafe RTH cannot be canceled unless you regain connection to the drone. (pg. 14 of the Users manual).

About the distinction : SMART return to Home is the usual one you would activate by pushing the button on the RC Versus failsafe RTH is the one that would kick off automatically if there is low critcal battery or lost connection ?

am i correct ?

I have to say those different definitions are a bit confusing...

almost correct....Smart RTH is user selected. Failsafe RTH is an automatic response (if selected in settings menu) when RC connection to Mavic is lost for 3 seconds (20 seconds if using W-Fi mode). Low Battery RTH is enabled when your low battery warning is triggered and no user input is detected within 10 seconds.

ok thanx, i don't understand why a failsafe RTH should have to be selected in the menu. It should be there by default and mandatory no ?

another question : can you confirm that there is only 1 RTH altitude to set ?

because in november when i was studying the manual i saw reference to Failsafe RTH altitude AND also to a RTH Altitude..

this distinction got me a bit confused as to why DJI would use that terminology.

In practice, when i go to the menu of my MAVIC i ONLY see 1 RTH ALTITUDE to set, which is good and more logical...

maybe was reading an old version of the manual.

there is only 1 RTH altitude setting that I am aware of....also what I was referring to is how the Mavic responds to a loss of connection. You have 3 options: RTH, Hover or land.

The RTH is the thing i always test after every update as its the one single thing that needs to work if i have a communications failure.... i fly up 20 meters and out at least 20 meters then turn off the RC ...

Sent from my SM-G925F using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: BrooklynFlyer
The RTH is the thing i always test after every update as its the one single thing that needs to work if i have a communications failure.... i fly up 20 meters and out at least 20 meters then turn off the RC ...

Sent from my SM-G925F using MavicPilots mobile app
Never thought about testing that after an update...thanks for the reminder.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato