DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This whole .8000 update is making my head hurt

Jim_bo

Reactions
So, do I want to upgrade to .8000 or not? Am I restricting myself if I do? Can I not use non-DJI apps to fly? Is there any real benefit from the upgrade?

I've been trying to understand this issue, but there is so much arguing about internet connections and such that it begins to turn into white noise.

Reactions: Wersh
Am I restricting myself if I do?
No. Just make sure you don't manually log out of the DJI GO app -- as this video explains in detail:

So, do I want to upgrade to .8000 or not? Am I restricting myself if I do? Can I not use non-DJI apps to fly? Is there any real benefit from the upgrade?

I've been trying to understand this issue, but there is so much arguing about internet connections and such that it begins to turn into white noise.
There a lot of good guys in here that know there stuff am not one of them lol but I have had no problem with any of the updates the MP has been an awesome drone from day 1 for me

Lol and msinger is one of the guys am talking about

I've had no problems with the .800 F/W and I updated my Mavic the morning it was released.

Reactions: Bladzalot
800 is fine. Most of the people complaining so bitterly are those who feel they do not have to abide by laws, regulations, safety, and courtesy. Theirs are the attitudes and actions that caused the implementation of NFZ code in drones to begin with.

I have stayed up-to-date on GO4 and FW since I got my MP in February, no issues.

800 is fine. Most of the people complaining so bitterly are those who feel they do not have to abide by laws, regulations, safety, and courtesy. Theirs are the attitudes and actions that caused the implementation of NFZ code in drones to begin with.
Or... perhaps it just people who actually mind being nannyed to death, have no intention of flying illegally, but think it is their responsibility, not some Chinese mega corporation to keep them out of what might sometimes be perfectly LEGAL and safe airspace.

Perhaps it is people who, after spending over a grand to own something, don't want to go find another internet connection to get permission from daddy DJI to fly, simply because they inadvertently closed their device app.

I get that you're perfectly ok with this trend, but many of us are not, and shouldn't be characterized as law breakers or inconsiderate, simply because we aren't,

Last edited:
Don't think that is correct....but it's your opinion.....

You are without a doubt jacked up NFZ code.

I shut the wifi off on my device when the 1st email was being sent to users. I then turned it on last week and a updating wheel appeared around my GO4 app instantly. I shut it back off & on a few times leaving it on to go fly. When I powered up the Mavic a Noticed appeared. This one happened to be different then any others I have seen. The main difference was at the end of the notice. I said if I did not agree with new changes, I could at anytime rollback to older firmware using the Assistant 2. So after flying I connect to the Assistant to see what the oldest firmware version was available and it was the .550 version. I'm currently on the .400 version.

Or... perhaps it just people who actually mind being nannyed to death, have no intention of flying illegally, but think it is their responsibility, not some Chinese mega corporation to keep them out of what might sometimes be perfectly LEGAL and safe airspace.

Perhaps it is people who, after spending over a grand to own something, don't want to go find another internet connection to get permission from daddy DJI to fly, simply because they inadvertently closed their device app.

I get that you're perfectly ok with this trend, but many of us are not, and shouldn't be characterized as law breakers or inconsiderate, simply because we aren't,
Hi Robert
I understand and agree about being nannied to death, but I genuinly don't see what the fuss about .800 is. If you shut the app down, or turn your phone off, when you restart the app you're still logged in to it. So you don't need to log in each time you start up and you don't need any signal or wifi data connection any time again in the future as long as you've never manually logged the app out of your DJI email account.
I don't believe there are any restrictions at all, anywhere once you log in. You log in once. That's it. Job done forever.

Have I missed anything else here?

Ian in London

How many different places have you been flying since update??

DJI GEO System - Up-to-date Information On Where to Fly

HOW GEO WORKS

Geospatial information in GEO is categorized in one of three ways:

1. icon-green-3238d8115972a0613dcc9aef50f8f915.png

Warning Zone. In these Zones, which may not necessarily appear on the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning message that may be relevant to their flight.
    Example Warning Zone: A protected wildlife area.

2. icon-green-3238d8115972a0613dcc9aef50f8f915.png

Enhanced Warning Zone. In these Zones, you will be prompted by GEO at the time of flight to unlock the zone using the same steps as in an Authorization Zone, but you do not require a verified account or an internet connection at the time of your flight.
    Example Enhanced Warning Zone: A farm which is 3 miles away from a busy international airport.

3. icon-yellow-0734d70f5acffa569ee0b3218572aa4e.png

Authorization Zone. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account.
    Example Authorization Zone: Model aircraft flying club near an airport.

4. icon-red-825751458c9a1d1d86ad32382176de5d.png

Restricted Zone. In these Zones, which appear red the DJI GO app, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is prevented. If you believe you have authorization to operate in a Restricted Zone, please contact [email protected]
    Example Restricted Zone: Washington D.C.
The GEO system is advisory only. Sometimes the Zones in GEO do not necessarily match the parameters or shape of official geospatial features due to an abundance of caution or technical reasons. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to their flight.

HOW GEO WORKS

Geospatial information in GEO is categorized in one of three ways:

1. icon-green-3238d8115972a0613dcc9aef50f8f915.png

Warning Zone. In these Zones, which may not necessarily appear on the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning message that may be relevant to their flight.
    Example Warning Zone: A protected wildlife area.

2. icon-green-3238d8115972a0613dcc9aef50f8f915.png

Enhanced Warning Zone. In these Zones, you will be prompted by GEO at the time of flight to unlock the zone using the same steps as in an Authorization Zone, but you do not require a verified account or an internet connection at the time of your flight.
    Example Enhanced Warning Zone: A farm which is 3 miles away from a busy international airport.

3. icon-yellow-0734d70f5acffa569ee0b3218572aa4e.png

Authorization Zone. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account.
    Example Authorization Zone: Model aircraft flying club near an airport.

4. icon-red-825751458c9a1d1d86ad32382176de5d.png

Restricted Zone. In these Zones, which appear red the DJI GO app, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is prevented. If you believe you have authorization to operate in a Restricted Zone, please contact [email protected]
    Example Restricted Zone: Washington D.C.
The GEO system is advisory only. Sometimes the Zones in GEO do not necessarily match the parameters or shape of official geospatial features due to an abundance of caution or technical reasons. Each user is responsible for checking official sources and determining what laws or regulations might apply to their flight.

But this series of GEO system restrictions was already in place, before the .800 update, so I still don't see how this is relevant to whther or not to upgrade. As I understand it, the ONLY restriction of .800 is if you choose not to log into your DJI account. If you log in, there is no difference whatsoever with no additional restrictions that didn't already exist before....
RNL; I've flown in around 4 different places; admittdly I don't have any NFZ near me so I haven't tried to fly inside one....

Cheers, Ian

...If you shut the app down, or turn your phone off, when you restart the app you're still logged in to it. So you don't need to log in each time you start up and you don't need any signal or wifi data connection any time again in the future as long as you've never manually logged the app out of your DJI email account.
I don't believe there are any restrictions at all, anywhere once you log in. You log in once. That's it. Job done forever.
This is good information, thanks.
From reading other threads (I did not watch msingers video yet) I thought that if you didn't have a connection you couldn't fly.

To the OP question, my only concern is what seems to be a growing number if NFZ errors that ground people falsely. I don't mind the noose tightening for enforcement of no fly zones, as long as they are accurate. They don't seem to be and the behavior of the drone if an NFZ is encountered while flying is not ideal as some have reported groundings in areas less than ideal, vs. flying back to the take-off point. But, this is the future one way or the other...

It's still a great product. I'll fly it on .400 as long as I can. If at some point in the future I have to update then I'll find out if any of this is really an issue or not. Right now the Mavic does everything I need it to, very well.

Reactions: Rnl
But this series of GEO system restrictions was already in place, before the .800 update, so I still don't see how this is relevant to whther or not to upgrade. As I understand it, the ONLY restriction of .800 is if you choose not to log into your DJI account. If you log in, there is no difference whatsoever with no additional restrictions that didn't already exist before....
RNL; I've flown in around 4 different places; admittdly I don't have any NFZ near me so I haven't tried to fly inside one....

Cheers, Ian

Jim_bo asked: Am I restricting myself if I do?

Go to a Authorization Zone and try to fly .... .800 makes it mandatory requirement to verify your account that's all no big deal please read the link given.

VERIFYING YOUR ACCOUNT

Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service. Verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone.

This is good information, thanks.
From reading other threads (I did not watch msingers video yet) I thought that if you didn't have a connection you couldn't fly.

To the OP question, my only concern is what seems to be a growing number if NFZ errors that ground people falsely. I don't mind the noose tightening for enforcement of no fly zones, as long as they are accurate. They don't seem to be and the behavior of the drone if an NFZ is encountered while flying is not ideal as some have reported groundings in areas less than ideal, vs. flying back to the take-off point. But, this is the future one way or the other...

It's still a great product. I'll fly it on .400 as long as I can. If at some point in the future I have to update then I'll find out if any of this is really an issue or not. Right now the Mavic does everything I need it to, very well.

cheers, although the only point I'd add is that those NFZ errors already exist for .400... upgrading to .800 doesn't introduce more. Or does it? Via forcing you to update the NFZ data regularly?

Jim_bo asked: Am I restricting myself if I do?

Go to a Authorization Zone and try to fly .... .800 makes it mandatory requirement to verify your account that's all no big deal please read the link given.

VERIFYING YOUR ACCOUNT

Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number. DJI does not collect nor store this information, which is verified by a third party service. Verification is free. A verified account is required only if attempting to fly in an Authorization Zone.

So after reading that link, am I right that if you're NOT on .800, you can't unlock the NFZ at all? But if you are on .800, then as long as you have a verified account, you can unlock the NFZ. So surely updating to .800 is better then? Sorry if I'm missing something here.. Probably am....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent