DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts on reporting operator flying in direct line of commercial flight path

jfarsang

Reactions
The regulations have become more strict in Canada and reflect the ignorance or disregard of operators that feel they can fly anywhere.

Years ago before the term 'drones' became common place, we were flying heli's, planes and multirotors but not like this. There has been ongoing discussion about how a few actions can ruin it for the rest of us and it looks like that day has come.

What are your thoughts on reporting an operator that is flying literally on a direct commercial flight path and within an airport (9km radius) ?

The regulations have become more strict in Canada and reflect the ignorance or disregard of operators that feel they can fly anywhere.

Years ago before the term 'drones' became common place, we were flying heli's, planes and multirotors but not like this. There has been ongoing discussion about how a few actions can ruin it for the rest of us and it looks like that day has come.

What are your thoughts on reporting an operator that is flying literally on a direct commercial flight path and within an airport (9km radius) ?

I like it. It's time these RC wannabes learn they can't do whatever they want. A system of checks and balances where drone operators police other operators exist.

Reactions: CC Rider

If he's being stupid & endangering planes then I'd report him. If he's flying within the radius but being safe with no possible interference with planes then maybe the regulations are the problem & not his flying so I wouldn't report him.

This operator flew directly inside the approach flight path to CXH airport in downtown Vancouver. The Harbour Air float planes take this path (they have a wide berth spanning above Lions Gate bridge and Stanley Park).

Lately people have been talking about not caring where they fly. This is concerning. This operator (member here) doesn't realize that heli/float planes do fly and land in both the areas where he/she flew.

Mavic Pro - Downtown Vancouver

Its not restricted air space, float planes dont land here. People fly here all the time.

Attachments

• flightpathVHFC.JPG
    flightpathVHFC.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 30
From Harbour Air's website - image flying along the flight path exactly where that Mavic was flying above.

08-Wing_over_Stanley_Park_Lions_Gate_1024x1024.jpg

Reactions: jdgordon77
Report it, and thanks for being willing to do so. The truth will help set everyone free. None of us are special or above the regs or The Law. Public safety is an absolute must in every flight we take as drone pilots occupying public airspace and sharing the same with others.

Report it. If you don't and fate and karma choose to set up something bad to go down, just imagine how you will feel when you could have done something to prevent it from happening. Report it. Don't think twice, just do the right thing...which often is not the easiest thing to do.

But heroes, like diamonds, are only made under pressure.

Reactions: Soundtekk
This operator flew directly inside the approach flight path to CXH airport in downtown Vancouver. The Harbour Air float planes take this path (they have a wide berth spanning above Lions Gate bridge and Stanley Park).

Lately people have been talking about not caring where they fly. This is concerning. This operator (member here) doesn't realize that heli/float planes do fly and land in both the areas where he/she flew.

Mavic Pro - Downtown Vancouver

Well I think if your going to call out a fellow member then you
should at least give them credit for using their video .
@Shaneoc then explain their error.

Name and shame..

He can publicly defend himself if he has a defence. From the evidence provided nobody (half sensible or not) should be flying in a location like that.

Name and shame..

He can publicly defend himself if he has a defence. From the evidence provided nobody (half sensible or not) should be flying in a location like that.

We need to create a hall of shame board for these users. :p

All I did was what I would want someone to do for me if
someone called me out and I didn't know it.
Would do it for any member.
Also let me say that's the only post you will see from me
on this unless it gets uncivilized so let's please not get so .
:)

WORD.

Reactions: Soundtekk
Totally agree. I linked their thread and quoted that person as well.

Ahh I have not been on here in a while, I am missing all of the discussions and Jfarsangs personal vendetta against me judging on the fact his only posts on this website primarily revolve around my videos.

In reference to this video you are correct this was a stupid idea to fly in a direct flight path, my previous comments claiming it was not a restricted zone is incorrect and not sure why I claimed it wasn't either. Is that want you wanted to hear ?
Rest assured that particular day back in 2016 there was no sea planes in the sky.

I cannot justify this flight path,I apologize to the community for doing so and I am embarrassed to say the least. Its safe to say that I will not be making the same mistake again.

I cannot justify this flight path,I apologize to the community for doing so and I am embarrassed to say the least. Its safe to say that I will not be making the same mistake again.

Very classy and cool on your behalf, buddy. Spoken like a true gentleman. Now stop beating yourself up, and do not be too embarrassed, either. Who of us hasn't made a mistake?

Credit goes to you for owning up to this one, learning from it, and ensuring it is not repeated. Period. And I am SURE that others have learned a lot from this, too, so a greater service may have been provided to all through your experience.

Keep having fun flying, filming, and phot taking. Let bygones be bygones. No one was hurt, the Earth didn't stop rotating, you're on the right path, so 'nuff said!!

Ahh I have not been on here in a while, I am missing all of the discussions and Jfarsangs personal vendetta against me judging on the fact his only posts on this website primarily revolve around my videos.

In reference to this video you are correct this was a stupid idea to fly in a direct flight path, my previous comments claiming it was not a restricted zone is incorrect and not sure why I claimed it wasn't either. Is that want you wanted to hear ?
Rest assured that particular day back in 2016 there was no sea planes in the sky.
Nothing personal since we don't know each other. My friend flies for Harbour Air and the topic is brought up often hence the post. Fly safe.

Very classy and cool on your behalf, buddy. Spoken like a true gentleman. Now stop beating yourself up, and do not be too embarrassed, either. Who of us hasn't made a mistake?

Credit goes to you for owning up to this one, learning from it, and ensuring it is not repeated. Period. And I am SURE that others have learned a lot from this, too, so a greater service may have been provided to all through your experience.

Keep having fun flying, filming, and phot taking. Let bygones be bygones. No one was hurt, the Earth didn't stop rotating, you're on the right path, so 'nuff said!!

Thank you, I appreciate that. But in fairness I do comment on safety concerns on drone videos I have seen in the past so I am embarrassed about that. That video was also back when I had my phantom 3 and was still a newbie to the drone world.

On this topic, what are your views in regard to Transport Canada actually hunting down people who are in violation of laws both pre and post March 2017. I guess what I am asking here is do I remove my media content from youtube ?Such content dating back a full year. I guess with the potential of a $20,000 fine the answer will always be better safe than sorry.

Nothing personal since we don't know each other. My friend flies for Harbour Air and the topic is brought up often hence the post. Fly safe.

Yes sir! Thank you

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S